Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got some thin black fluid that drips from the U joint on my fron drive shaft and the back of the skid plate on the driver side, also noticed a spot on the bottom of the tranny filter and Tcase. only drips 2 small spots when parked, nothing big. its dripping from these areas but is coming from somewhere above it. too thin to be oil, has no noticable smell. old trany fluid? power steering? brake fluid? coming from somwhere above or near oil filter i believe. i will try and get o pic of this cuz i know :nopics:

·
Registered
48 Posts
It may be coming from the Transfer case. Look up pump rubbing with a search and see what you find. The pump inside the t-case comes loose and rubs a hole in the transfer case.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no holes, it looks like its coming from somewhere between the engine and tranny on the driver side. coming from whatever is above the u joint of the front drive shaft. doesnt look like tranny fluid, its thin and black, tranny fluid is still red when i check it, what would be thin and black? T case fluid? i know its not oil, too thin and i just changed it. had the same kinda small leak on my 97 ram 4x4. i guess everything leaks though:rolleyes:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mine is doing the samething and its coolant. I have to pull the oil filter mount off and reseal the gaskets. Do a pressure test on you coolant system. But dont pressurize the system over 15lbs or you will have more coolant leaking issues. Leaks only under pressure and not a hole lot at one time.Cleve

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm that might be it, but why would it be black? is yours black?

·
Registered
206 Posts
did you check the power steering lines. those could drip black and they are in the general area of your drip.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Did you check the muffler bearings?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
muffler bearings were first one my check list but low and behold im missing a muffler, all i got is this darn piece of pipe:D

·
Registered
176 Posts
LOL!!! Any chance you are getting some mist from the crankcase vent?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Probably the headgasket. Look above the filter housing and you may see a trail.-:t

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got up under there with a mag light and noticed i little bit of it above the oil filter on the side of the block, i guess it is oil, no fuel smell though. where is that crank case vent? well if it is the head gasket then [email protected]$K it, ill ive with it cuz im not startin that nightmare of a job and i dont feel like shellin out the money to fix it. another awsome thing i found while layin under my truck in a dirty parking lot in the freezing cold was the good ole T case pin hole YAY:eek: im not fixin that sh!t either, slap some JB weld on that b!tch and fill er back up. and then theres my P0380 code thats always on, this kinda crap irritates me to no end!

·
Registered
176 Posts
The vent is on the passenger side toward the rear of the engine. About a 1/2 inch diameter tube that hangs down almost to the top of the oil pan. The pin hole might be contributing some also.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thats not it then, my leak is on the driver side, maybe it is the head gasket. is it too much to ask to have a vehicle with no leaks or anything breaking lol! why cant things just freakin work like there suppose to! AHHH!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts