Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2000 chevy express 3500 cutaway van 6.5L TD
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving along and it started to stutter, at first only above 50 but then while i was going slower and slower until i stopped at a light and she died and now won't start. My check engine light was already on for glow plug codes so i don't know if it was on even more, like making an angry face at me.

It wasn't exactly like a PMD failure, but i bought one because i miss buying PMDs every three months since i totally crushed the heat sink/location problem. So a new PMD didn't fix it, still won't start.

I noticed right away that the fuel pump sound during the wait to start had changed from a nice buzz to a sad, decreasing, struggling sound, so i'm thinking the lift pump might be a good place to look.

But before i started buying parts i checked the codes and got:
P0335 crankshaft position sensor A circuit
P0236 turbo/boost sensor A circuit
and the old glow plug one

So i easily locate the crank angle sensor and MYSTERY! there's no male plug anywhere to be seen. It's a van so it's a huge pain to find anything in there, but i have looked and looked for any plug or broken wire and for any and every branch that comes off the main harness and can't find anything. How can it run without the crank angle sensor? Would they make a model change to not need one?

It's a 2001 van with a 2000 engine and transmission. I did the swap 7 years ago so i can't remember every detail but all i remember being different was the alternator connector.

As a bonus i found a single white wire that has a broken crimp connector on the end that comes from the main harness. it was going under the ac compressor so i don't know what kind of connector it was or where it went. Can't see anything in there, even with my little mirror. ugh.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
If you have this harness....
The 3-wire conn. will have YEL, BLK, & GRY wires.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Administrator
16,657 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace
(y)

·
Registered
219 Posts
I would start with a flow test on the fuel system. I am sure you can search the site for instruction and I am not sure if it is different due to being a van but find a way to turn it on and make sure you test fuel after the filter. I forget what the amount per seconds is but there are how tos on here for sure. If it is below spec it is either filter, LP, or sock/crud in tank.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks everybody! found the plug!!!! glagulator, that picture was perfect. i would have never found that plug without it! i added a couple feet of wire and routed it like a sane person would. it's too hot out to keep going so i'll update once i get back at it.
thanks again!

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Also check your grounds for the PCM and wiring. Both the CPS and boost sensor use the same supply voltage and ground thru the PCM. The glow plug relay also shares the same ground as the PCM. Located on the rear passenger side intake manifold bolt. the ground should have 3 wires attached.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My van still won't start. Installed a new lift pump and getting good fuel flow out of the bleeder valve at the top of the new fuel filter after jumping the lift pump relay.
Thanks tommygunner, but I can't find any ground wires connected to the intake manifold or where any should be connected.
Ive been searching the site but i'm pretty lost. Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
The grounds tommygunner is referring to are on the front of a center mount turbo van engine.
IIRC one is on a stud that holds the oil filler tube on and another is on the driver side accessory bracket.
There should be an 18ga. black/white and a tan/white, then a 10ga. black.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up Glag. After I posted I thought maybe the grounds were different on centermounts. Figgured someone would correct me if wrong:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I opened up one of the injectors and I'm getting no fuel coming out while cranking.
Bravo Glag! I found the ground wires with your info and the white wire i found isn't white, it's tan/white! I grounded it and still no fuel at the injector during cranking, no start. Before I blame the injector pump, what could keep it from functioning?

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,865 Posts
How long did you crank?
It will take a lot of cranking time with pause to cool down the starter.
Batteries (2 of them) needs to be in tip top shape.

·
Administrator
16,657 Posts
I opened up one of the injectors and I'm getting no fuel coming out while cranking.
Bravo Glag! I found the ground wires with your info and the white wire i found isn't white, it's tan/white! I grounded it and still no fuel at the injector during cranking, no start. Before I blame the injector pump, what could keep it from functioning?
PMD, faulty lift pump, plugged tank sock air in fuel, etc

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
other things to check. There is a small screen at the bottom of the fuel filter manager. It should be cleaned when filter is replaced. It can get clogged and prevent fuel from going to the IP.. Also is the fuel shutoff solenoid working?
The gas tank must be vented. Possible the cap vent is non op. Try starting with the fuel cap off or lose enough to let air into the tank.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a similar issue with my 2002 Express 3500 6.5 TD. Under normal acceleration it would shut off at 30 pulling away from a stop and again once reaching 60 mph constantly just like if you had turned the ignition off while driving but if I didn't exceed 59 mph it would keep on going down the road without an issue . When it did stall out I would place it into neutral and restart without any problem. I first started by replacing the PMD again of course then the OPS both leading to no repair. Short and quick answer drum-roll please... My 60 second fix was tightening a loose ground at the battery that's located under the van; the negative battery lead was slightly loose at the frame rail attachment end. After spending weeks driving it around while it continued stalling out, removing the engine cover, all the under dash trim and all the hours spent tracing wiring ugh...

This loose ground connection then started causing a slew of other things to not work normally such as the oil pressure gauge bounced just a couple of times, security instrumentation lamp came on, the headlamps were a little dimmer and the AC, windshield wipers, power window and door locks all started working intermittently which lead me to into looking into the vehicles grounding system eventually leading to the repair. I also found that the wide braided engine ground strap was also partially broken. This is located behind the vacuum pump on the right front of the motor going from the engine block straight down to the frame rail. Hope this info helps someone. I sure wish this info was posted somewhere before I had my problem but still I'm happy to have contributed and at last kicked the gremlins out of my van for now. I'll attach a couple pics. All the best!

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks y'all! I checked the grounds and they all look good. I'm cranking it for at least 10 seconds, up to 15 seconds, also with the fuel cap loose. Still no fuel at the injector at all. I haven't checked the tank sock because i'm getting fuel flow out of the bleeder at the top of the filter so i'm assuming it's not clogged. I'll look into the fuel shutoff solenoid. Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
If the screen in the bottom of the FFM is clogged. You will get flow out of the bleeder but no fuel to IP. The screen can stiick to the bottom and is often overlooked when a new filter is installed. It is there to protect the IP incase the fuel filter fails to do its job.
Heres a pic.
ffm screen.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My dad bought me the service manuals for my van. They're pretty damn awesome. Thanks dad!
So I checked the 4-wire jumper harness for the fuel solenoid driver at the injection pump and I'm not getting voltage while cranking. The light green wire should have at least 1.2v. The circuit checks fine back to the PCM and I checked for voltage at the PCM, light green wire at position D3 on connector 3 at the PCM and getting nothing. So I'm suspecting the PCM.
Does anyone have any advice on where to get one? After I post this I'll search the forum and start the googling and see what I can find.Thanks y'all!

·
Registered
2 Posts
My dad bought me the service manuals for my van. They're pretty damn awesome. Thanks dad!
So I checked the 4-wire jumper harness for the fuel solenoid driver at the injection pump and I'm not getting voltage while cranking. The light green wire should have at least 1.2v. The circuit checks fine back to the PCM and I checked for voltage at the PCM, light green wire at position D3 on connector 3 at the PCM and getting nothing. So I'm suspecting the PCM.
Does anyone have any advice on where to get one? After I post this I'll search the forum and start the googling and see what I can find.Thanks y'all!
Can someone tell me what signal going into the pcm activates the solenoid driver voltage? Since u have to be cranking some signal must be going into the PCM. Thanks for any thoughts.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts