Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, guys. It's been a while since my last post. The other day, I started my truck so I could go to work. While it was idling for about 30 seconds in my driveway, the engine seemed to have a bad "miss" a couple of times, in rapid succession, which sent a shudder through the whole truck - both times. I immediately shut the truck down. When I tried to start it again a few minutes later, the glow plug light wouldn't go out while the key was in the "ON' position, even after about 30 seconds. I knew something was wrong, because on the coldest day, this light never stayed on for more than 2 to 3 seconds, tops. But the truck did indeed start, and the glow plug light goes out after the engine starts. The only thing is, now the check engine light is on, but the truck runs smoothly in spite of this problem. The truck is now at Ramp Chevy in Long Island where I work, and they just called to tell me that the tips on the glow plugs had broken off on numbers 6 and 8 cylinders. They were on the phone with GM and told me they might have to remove the cylinder heads. We'll see where it goes from here. BTW, I still love the truck - it's under warranty anyway (about 3500 miles). Things do happen. I'll write a follow-up when it's fixed. Guess I'll find out soon enough what kind of guys I work with. lol...Carmine

·
Banned
720 Posts
boy i hope this is just random i just traded my 06 lly for the lbz have 300 miles on it that blows having to remove the heads already good luck.hope you get it back soon

·
Registered
468 Posts
:wtf1:

We've heard from other LBZ and '06 LLY owners about a glow plug issue, sure hope they get yours fixed without hassles. One member ended up getting a buyback on his after this happened and the heads warped from the heat. But I think his plugs got stuck in the ON mode causing excessive heat, they didn't just break off and fall into the cylinder as you say yours did.

A couple attempts to fix it and also some lying from the dealer about replacing the damaged heads resulted in a buyback. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
18 Posts
5000 miles on my 06 lly and no problems at all. It would be nice if someone could post some statistics on this issue...units sold:issues

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
boy i hope this is just random i just traded my 06 lly for the lbz have 300 miles on it that blows having to remove the heads already good luck.hope you get it back soon
Well, that'll teach you. LOL. Relax, I'm just kidding. I'm sure you're gonna love your new LBZ. I still love mine. Because of this website, one might easily suspect mass glow plug problems. My guy at Chevy insists there is no bulletin or real issue with these. When you stop and think about it, the few glow plug problems that have shown up on this website is probably nothing compared to how many LBZ's were sold and will never have any such issue. If by chance I have more related problems in the near future, it will be "New York Lemon Law Here I Come". But, in the unlikely event of a buy-back, I'd probably still buy another one. They really are great trucks. In the meanwhile, I hope I get it back soon, too, and I'll try not to get ahead of myself by dwelling on the negative. Keep you guys posted and thanks for writing...Carmine):h

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
Man,you have a GREAT attitude.Hope you get your truck back very soon!

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Nearly 18k on my '06 LLY (build date 7/20/05) and no problems.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This was a problem with the 6.9 Ford diesel around 1985-86. The glow plug controller would fail causing the glow plugs to stay on. The tips would eventually break off after overheating or become a MAJOR PAIN just to remove from the swelling and break-off in the head. Trust me I've been there on my old 6.9.... Most of the tips would actually "embed" themselfs right into the piston tops when they broke off. They would make a heck of alot of noise when they broke off too. It will cause alot of damage too. Most guys eventually went to a manual pushbutton system with using 7-10 seconds as a rule..... They are going to have to most definately remove the heads and carefully inspect. I would want to see for myself after they remove them. I'm wondering if anything (tiny bits) could go out the exhaust valves and into the turbo blades.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I saw my truck today. The heads weren't off of it yet, but the front of the motor and most of the turbo was disassembled. They said I might have a chance of getting it back tomorrow if there's nothing seriously wrong with it. I asked the service writer if these motors are sleeved and he said no. So, if the glow plug damaged the cylinder walls severely, they'll have to change the whole motor. As for the above comments by Blaze: I didn't even consider the possibility of damage to the turbo, but what he said does make sense. I've got my fingers crossed on that one. Talk to you guys tomorrow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just got mine back today with a new motor because of the glowplugs
parts not available to rebuild at this time some problem with gaskets i hope it works out for you they had my truck for a month i complained enough and they reimbursed my truck payment good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
I saw my truck today. The heads weren't off of it yet, but the front of the motor and most of the turbo was disassembled. They said I might have a chance of getting it back tomorrow if there's nothing seriously wrong with it. I asked the service writer if these motors are sleeved and he said no. So, if the glow plug damaged the cylinder walls severely, they'll have to change the whole motor. As for the above comments by Blaze: I didn't even consider the possibility of damage to the turbo, but what he said does make sense. I've got my fingers crossed on that one. Talk to you guys tomorrow.
well i had a glow plug problem again today only 1 cyl #6 and the cause was cycling the glow plugs 2wice do not cycle them 2wice. the other problem can be from boosting the truck. it is the second truck i had do this and what a time consuming mess ill tell u thank god we have great mechanics.

·
Registered
468 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have a glowplug issue too. Set 2 codes, glow plug circut malfunction on # 1 and # 5. Takin it in next week for service.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just got mine back today with a new motor because of the glowplugs
parts not available to rebuild at this time some problem with gaskets i hope it works out for you they had my truck for a month i complained enough and they reimbursed my truck payment good luck
Saw my truck again this afternoon. The motor looks like it's in about 400,000 pieces. I sure hope my guy has a good memory. I spoke to the service writer this morning and he said there was really no damage to speak of to the pistons, head, or cylinder wall. I saw it and I guess I got off lucky (I think). Only one head had to be removed because both glow plugs were on the same side. They said they couldn't put it back together today being the motor is so new and nobody on Long Island has the gasket kit for the re-assembly. They said they are going to overnight a set of gaskets for me. The tech working on my truck said they're replacing all of the glow plugs on the motor. Sure hope this is the end of my problems. Talk to you soon...Carmine:grd:

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Hey Carmine.

Hey Carmine,

I hope it all works out for you with no more problems!! And yeah like others have mentioned you have the right attitude!! Aweseome GM Guy!!

So can anyone tell me why this is happening? Are the plugs actually to long?

Oh yeah, one more favour, if you type posts as long as the first one, could you please hit the enter key a few more times? For guys like me who can barely see the tip of my nose without glasses, it gets kinda hard to read when the paragraphs are long!!

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Does anybody know if this is specifically a 2006 LBZ problem. Where I am going is this. Is this a glow plug defect or an 06 LBZ defect. I have an 02 for example and if I were to replace glow plugs could this happen to me? Are the glow plugs for the 02/06 different in style and not interchangable?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Does anybody know if this is specifically a 2006 LBZ problem. Where I am going is this. Is this a glow plug defect or an 06 LBZ defect. I have an 02 for example and if I were to replace glow plugs could this happen to me? Are the glow plugs for the 02/06 different in style and not interchangable?
I asked my tech if I could see what a glow plug actually looked like. He showed me one of the new ones that are going into my truck and it somewhat resembles a BIC stick pen, long and skinny. The part that actually glows is about 1 3/4 inches long and about 1/8 inch in diameter. I told him I imagined that it would look short and stubby like a spark plug. He said they did at one time, but due to the newer 4 valve per cylinder heads, they designed a much narrower plug.

·
Registered
174 Posts
all glow plugs look like what you just desribed,auto or industrial, have never looked like sparkplug, have a drawer full at work for multiple different engines old and new. have considered buying dmax plug to see how long it will burn, see if they will let you have one, hook to a battery, away from anything flammable as tip may melt and fall off, and see how long it will last.

1 - 20 of 144 Posts