Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title reads....my turbo is shot. I was cruising, building some good boost...and done! The truck lost full power and almost lost all the oil out of the motor. There was a large cloud of smoke and VERY large puddle of oil out of the exhaust. Nice! Now what?!?! I pulled the turbo apart to expose the prop....it is seized up against the housing. The blades are shredded and jammed upwards. i will try to get some pics today. Just very upset that a big snow is coming and no plow truck. What should I do????? I see an ebay turbo for $1200. I cannot get the turbo out. Does anyone have a better rundown to remove the turbo? Should I get a BD or Aurora turbo? I live in NJ and need the closest reliable shop to do an install. Just very upset at this point. Did not want to grenade the IHI. I need a direction......:confused:

BTW: the banks was set to 31-32 psi. Not sure what happened.

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
I think you just said what happened. Sorry to hear of your trouble, and wish I had more to offer. Perhaps you could say how many miles you have been using your turbo this way. Also curious if you have ever monitored oil temps.

Evidence of coking? Would love some detailed pics.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Xtreme Diesel is in south jersey, www.xtremediesel.com I figure they can probably handle it but I'm not sure.

Where do you live in jersey? I live south of Jackson and race at Englishtown.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have several LB7 turbos on the shelf from customers trucks that never had the wastegates messed with and are in good condition. Let me know if ya need one, $200 plus shipping for one. I also have Aurora 5000's in stock as well. Let me know if you need anything. Matt

·
Registered
10,516 Posts
As the title reads....my turbo is shot. I was cruising, building some good boost...and done! The truck lost full power and almost lost all the oil out of the motor. There was a large cloud of smoke and VERY large puddle of oil out of the exhaust. Nice! Now what?!?! I pulled the turbo apart to expose the prop....it is seized up against the housing. The blades are shredded and jammed upwards. i will try to get some pics today. Just very upset that a big snow is coming and no plow truck. What should I do????? I see an ebay turbo for $1200. I cannot get the turbo out. Does anyone have a better rundown to remove the turbo? Should I get a BD or Aurora turbo? I live in NJ and need the closest reliable shop to do an install. Just very upset at this point. Did not want to grenade the IHI. I need a direction......:confused:

I feel for you. If I would have had other options available when i started eating turbos, I would have gone aftermarket. Then again, 200.00 for an LB7 turbo is a good deal. If you are running with more fuel, and towing etc, I would seriously consider an aftermarket unit.

Just my .02

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
If I were you and in your situation get the BD and forget about it, more power, better turbo, bolt on design for easy install.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Just blew a turbo? Hey join the club!!! :D Mines still functioning, but its on its way out the door...

ben

·
Registered
10,516 Posts
Ther other thing is this. If you decide to just fix it until you have the $$$ to go aftermarket, you can remove the center section only from the turbo and leave the exhaust housing in place on the truck.

Then just swap out the junk parts and insert new center sections and compressor.

5 - 6 hours to do it.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Damn, 31-32Lbs of boost is really too much?? That's where I was gonna set mine at this week when I bolt on the Big Head. How many miles on your truck? How long have you had it set at that boost pressure?

$200.00 does sound like a great deal. Hope that you get it changed out so you can make your money back plowing snow.

Nick

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think you just said what happened. Sorry to hear of your trouble, and wish I had more to offer. Perhaps you could say how many miles you have been using your turbo this way. Also curious if you have ever monitored oil temps.

Evidence of coking? Would love some detailed pics.

I will have some pics attached. the turbo is still on the truck. I am attempting to remove it, but only got this far. As far as cooking, I do not think I have detailed enough photos. The turbo has has the banks big head since Oct.-Nov. 2005. Oil temps: never monitored.

Xtreme Diesel is in south jersey, www.xtremediesel.com I figure they can probably handle it but I'm not sure.

Where do you live in jersey? I live south of Jackson and race at Englishtown.
I will keep them in mind. I live in NW NJ..Warren County

I have several LB7 turbos on the shelf from customers trucks that never had the wastegates messed with and are in good condition. Let me know if ya need one, $200 plus shipping for one. I also have Aurora 5000's in stock as well. Let me know if you need anything. Matt
I will give you a call and get 1 of those to get me by for now. Thanks for the offer!!!

Just blew a turbo? Hey join the club!!! :D Mines still functioning, but its on its way out the door...

ben
Maybe we can start a new club with a list of victims!!:eek::

Ther other thing is this. If you decide to just fix it until you have the $$$ to go aftermarket, you can remove the center section only from the turbo and leave the exhaust housing in place on the truck.

Then just swap out the junk parts and insert new center sections and compressor.

5 - 6 hours to do it.
I think i will attempt that. I wanna get it on the road now and drive it somewhere to do aftermarket in the next couple months. I started the removal, but unsure where to go now to get the 2 bolts off of the bottom of the front section. there is a metal tube coming directly up into the bottom with 2 bolts...very hard to get to. Do you know where i can get install/removal how to's/instructions?

Damn, 31-32Lbs of boost is really too much?? That's where I was gonna set mine at this week when I bolt on the Big Head. How many miles on your truck? How long have you had it set at that boost pressure?

$200.00 does sound like a great deal. Hope that you get it changed out so you can make your money back plowing snow.

Nick
Not sure what the psi hit when the grenade launched. I have seen it always hit 31-32 when in 5th locked. The truck has had about 2000 miles since I turned up the big head to this setting. Luckily I only plow 2 driveways...no money...freebies:cool:

Any chance of getting metal thrown into the motor?

Thanks for all the input!! I would be lost w/o this forum and would have more money:D

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here are some pics of the turbo still on the truck. Gotta get it off now. i will get more detailed pics soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mike

Are you sure you didn't ingest something? I s there anything missing on your intake?
Not too sure. I guess there is no way to tell?

I took the nut off of front already. The center section is locked up and cannot move.

·
Registered
10,516 Posts

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Here are some pics of the turbo still on the truck. Gotta get it off now. i will get more detailed pics soon.
That's not fun at all!:(

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If I decide to upgrade the turbo to BD or Auroa, will I still be able to get as much power when using nitrous. For example, the BD users are saying that most of the smoke is cleaned up (using TTS Extreme). Since there is minimal smoke, I guess that means minimal nitrous can be used. Would I have more HP with a stock IHI, lots of smoke, and more nitrous or BD turbo, less smoke, less nitrous?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts