Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck is vibrating when I get to speeds around 50mph. Seems to go away at about 75mph. I just had my tires balanced and rotated and that did not fix the problem, although they said my tires had some "uneven wear". Anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
825 Posts
Mine has been doing the same thing. Heavy vibration through the entire floorpan and through the steering wheel. It's getting to be a nuisance. I'm thinking along the lines of U-joints.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Mine started doing that and today I found my left front whell bearing had some slack. I'll know when I change it if that's the problem.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Does it vibrate/thump like a wheel that is out of round or out of balance? Does it go away while turning (about a 1/4 turn of the steering wheel)? Did it just start recently after running fine for quite a while?

Check your wheel bearings. If it is the RF bearing, the vibration will go away while turning left. If it is the LF bearing, the vibration will go away while turning right.

I just went through this with mine. I had the tires balanced and rotated, and it got a little better, but didn't go away. The tire shop gave me the story about uneven wear being the problem, because they could not get one tire to road-force balance. Another place told me the problem was caused by the shocks needing replaced.

The problem slowly got worse, and the vibration and noise would get worse at higher speeds. I finally decided I should take it to the dealer and get it looked at. The night before, while I was out working, the bearing failed. I waited 3 hours for a tow truck, and 3 days to get my truck back. They replaced the RF bearing, rotor, caliper, mount, and brake pads (both sides). He said if I had driven any further, the front wheel would have come off.

All of this at only 33k miles. And I still had to go back today and pick up the lug nut they forgot to put back on the RF wheel.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it feels like a wheel is out of round. I only start to feel it when the truck is up to speed at 40-45mph. I do not hear any noise, and I don't know that it vibrates when turning. I just had one of my wheel bearings replaced less than 10K miles ago.

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
Was it doing it before you got them rotated?You got any friends you can swap tires and wheels with?That may help you narrow it down!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got my tires rotated about 2 weeks ago and starting noticing the vibration early this week, so I took it back in and had them balanced but not rotated. They said I had uneven wear on my front tires, which would have just came from the back since I just got them rotated. I wish I could swap tires with someone. I thought about that.

·
Registered
228 Posts
There's a chance it's the frame bearing vibration that has been described in a few other threads. Here's a link that covered it a while back, including a possible solution with Frederico rear sway bar. Hope this helps.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98649&highlight=vibration

It could be a u-joint/driveline problem, but the speed at which you felt the shimmy reminded me of the beam shake.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I just read that you noticed it starting this week, after the new meats. Maybe it is the tires.

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
I've always felt like a bad bearing is more of a grind than a vibration..Just my $ .02!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had the same problem with mine. I took it to the dealer and they changed the carrier bearing. that helped then they noticed that the driveshaft allignment was a little out of whack. That helped. finally they replaced the front Drive Shaft.
My symptoms were a light vibration and a pronounced resonanting hum at speeds between about 62 - 66 mph only while accellerating or cruising it would stop doing it when I let off of the pedal.
Hope this helps
Jess

1 - 11 of 11 Posts