Diesel Place banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i picked up my LBZ, the dealership's first, back in november. That weekend i went ahead and wired up my break controller with the harness supplied by GM in the glove box (white connector). The unit (brand new top of the line Prodigy) did not power us. As per it's instructions i had not installed the fuse because it has a dual battery. I then installed the fuse and nothing.

I went out and bought another break controller and a "Draw Tite" brand harness (brown connector)to use for wiring so i could have a second wiring setup. I wired the harness together and then plugged that controller in.... nothing!!! I sent my truck into the dealership because i figured something was wrong with the panel beneath the dash.

The technition asked me why i would wire up my controller and install it with the first harness (white connector) and not use the supplied brown connector harness. He told me the white conenctor harness, the one i recieved with the vehicle, was not the right part and because of different wires blew the fuse. I couldn't understand how an aftermarket universal part would work better than an oem supplied with my vehicle. I asked about needing the fuse and he said instead of the 60amp he threw in a 30amp because "that's all i will ever need". :badidea: Now i talked to a friend of mine who has the same truck. He didn't install his fuse and used the white connector harness. He is running fine... :confused:

anyone out thier share my thoughts that my truck is mis-wired? The service department seemed overly nice (too nice) they went ahead and installed my break controller by custom routing out one of my dash pockets wired it up great. I'm not so sure that this is just a really nice dealer

Other than that i love my truck. i have never had a truck so long without a single problem. i have noticed my ABS is funky... but i'll save that for another post. THIS IS BY FAR THE BEST ENGINE I HAVE EVER HAD WITH THE LEAST PROBLEMS!!!:ro) Can't wait to pick up my 07/08 dually with twins ):h

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
02 and older is brown, 03 and newer is white.

Sounds like you need to take it to a trailer or RV shop to straighten it out. Typically the dealers dont have a clue how to hook up a brake controller.

Not sure what "fuse" you are talking about but any moron knows you dont put a 30 where a 60 should be !

There is also a fuse that came with the harness that needs to be installed where the red plug is in the underhood electric center.

Scott

·
Registered
499 Posts
I would also suggest going to a local RV dealer to get there opinion. I have a prodigy in my truck and it works. Though my rv dealer wired my GM harness to the prodigy harness. But I transferred from my '05 to my '06, with no issues.

·
Registered
47 Posts
anyone out thier share my thoughts that my truck is mis-wired?
My 2002 S-10 right rear tail light fuse is marked AC/FAN. Go figure. Took me an hour to find that problem.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I hooked up a prodigy in my LBZ and it works. One, the instructions don't clarify that the TWO battery set-up they are referring to is gas engine and only one the battery is used to start the engine and the other is isolated. On the diesel engine both batteries are used to start the engine, to make a long story short you have to put the fuse in the under the hood fuse panel (left front of the engine compartment, next to the battery). This will furnish power to the wiring harness connected to your inside wiring connector. and hook up the harness wiring accordding to the instructions that came with the prodigy. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I also have a Prodigy installed in my '06 LBZ, however I didn't use the GM-supplied harness. When I bought my Prodigy, I got a free direct plug-in wiring harness. One end plugs into the back of the Prodigy and the other end simply plugs into the fuse panel in the drivers-side footwell.

It works great. The Prodigy is an awesome piece!

·
Registered
500 Posts
FYI - RVwholesalers.com is selling v2.4 prodigy controllers for $89. Mine's already been shipped. Now, I have to get rid of the Hoppy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
02 and older is brown, 03 and newer is white.

Sounds like you need to take it to a trailer or RV shop to straighten it out. Typically the dealers dont have a clue how to hook up a brake controller.

Not sure what "fuse" you are talking about but any moron knows you dont put a 30 where a 60 should be !

There is also a fuse that came with the harness that needs to be installed where the red plug is in the underhood electric center.

Scott
Do you remember what the fuse is for? I swapped my friend's Prodigy from his 04 to his 06 Z using the old harness. Everything seems to be working fine. There was no fuse with his new harness though.

·
Registered
133 Posts
On mine, the fuse was wrapped up in the tape on the harness. It was impossible to see without undoing the tape. Look, it is probably there.

Have you checked the E-brakes? The controller may be working fine, but that doesn't mean you have power to the trailer E-brakes at the connector. This fuse is for power to the E-brakes. Without the fuse, there is no power to the trailer brakes. You better double check.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Mine had the fuse, never put it in, been running & towing for 2 yrs now with no issues.

Bill

·
Registered
83 Posts
My truck has the tow package and the camper wiring provision. It came with a 40 amp fuse wrapped in tape. I went over and over the owners manual where it gives detailed descriptions of the fuse pannels and I can see no place for that fuse. All I can figure is that it is intended as a "Spare" and it is in fact the wrong size. Perhaps it is for a gasser Truck as was suggested. I don't know. I have not tried my trailer brakes yet though. I actually thought that fuse was for the "Trailer Power" provision. Not the Brakes. You know, for the interior lights etc...

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Your right on the fuse is for the trailer hot wire.

Inside the fuse box under the hood, on the older models it goes in the top left.
Haven't seen an 06 to see if they changed it.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
On mine, the fuse was wrapped up in the tape on the harness. It was impossible to see without undoing the tape. Look, it is probably there.

Have you checked the E-brakes? The controller may be working fine, but that doesn't mean you have power to the trailer E-brakes at the connector. This fuse is for power to the E-brakes. Without the fuse, there is no power to the trailer brakes. You better double check.
As above post, the fuse only supplies power to the inside of trailer.

Some may use it to charge the e brake battery but mine charges off brake wire.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
The 40A fuse is for the circuit that feeds 12v to the trailer breakaway battery. On a travel trailer this battery also supplies power when you are not connected to 110. If you are trying to supply power to this battery via a smaller circuit you may not be charging the battery properly. Typically on travel trailers there will be a full size battery, when discharged it will take about 5-6 hrs of drive time for the battery to be fully charged. If you feed it off of a smaller circuit it will take longer to charge. If it is fed off of the brake circuit it will not charge properly due to the brakes not having 12v all the time. The electric brakes are modulated by the amount of power fed to the magnets, this is the function of the controller. Under light braking you may only be putting out 3or4 volts, that wont charge the battery. If you are on the expressway and dont use the brakes at all you have no power going to anything.

Scott

·
Registered
275 Posts
Some of the trucks are coming with the blue wire disconnected and the power wire not installed under the outside fuse box. Remove the fender support and the lift up the black cover and you will see it all right there.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Not sure about your “06”, but the “02” model needed two fuses in the Fuse Block-Underhood to fully power your Trailer Connector. Your “06” will be similar, but not identical.

-Stud 1 MaxiFuse 40A is the +12V supply for Trailer +12V system, which will power trailer and charge trailer batteries ANYTIME trailer is connected to tow vehicle, with vehicle running or not. Red wire and pin E.
- Stud 2 MaxiFuse 30A is the +12V supply for the trailer brake system, DK BLUE wire, pin C. As said in post 14, a variable voltage of minimal to +12V is measured here ONLY when brakes are applied. This will not charge trailer batteries.

Scott
As far as replacing the 60A with a 30A, it may be advisable. This 60A fuse was designed for your truck, and not the trailer. Check your trailer manuals or with your trailer Dealer for current ratings of trailer circuits. My Jaco Dealer recommended a 30A fuse maximum on battery connection and +12V supply from tow vehicle.
On the braking circuit, typical trailers with tandom axles will draw up to 12-14 amps max, (3-3.5 amps each X 4 brakes). You wouldn't need, (and I wouldn't want), a 60A fuse on this circuit. If you're drawing more than 20A with four brakes, you have problems.
On the +12V trailer circuit, if batteries are drained, lots of amps will want to flow, and you better be sure the trailer wires are rated for the current you allow your truck to supply.

·
Registered
959 Posts
i had that same problem,fixed it myself.one of the wires in the factory supplied harness was in the wrong hole.just pulled it out and moved it over and no more problem

·
Registered
541 Posts
The 01 and 02 had the one wire that was wired different than the 03 and later. As stated above they had to be switched if you had a controller that was used or designed for 01-02 trucks. The controller would not work if the wire was not switched to the 03 and later config. Easy to do. I don't remember which wires it was since it has been a while since I had to do it. If I recall correctly the harness for the 01-02 was brown.

Why the GM engineers switched pin positions of the wires is a mystery. No rhyme or reason.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts