Diesel Place banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
The short wheelbase really shows up in first picture.
Have you ever looked into heavier duty bump stops. Timbrens is one company.
I got a handling kit from McCormick Motors that included different bump stops.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The short wheelbase really shows up in first picture.
Have you ever looked into heavier duty bump stops. Timbrens is one company.
I got a handling kit from McCormick Motors that included different bump stops.
It was quite interesting when I was raising the rear of the coach from about where a 239" wheelbase's rear wheels would be, how much weight transferred to the front wheels....

Are you talking about running the Timbrens instead of the air helper bags? I like having the adjustability of the bags to level it side to side since the driver side leans a bit from all the weight on that side so I really haven't looked into them. That said, with the new springs installed, the driver's side is now just over 1/8" higher than the passenger side. I'm curious how the springs are going to settle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am curious as to the (price &) part number of the added taper leaf spring you ordered from Deaver. I noticed from the Website they don't have a listing for C5500 Kodiak(or Topkick)...much appreciate the descriptions & excellent pictures from your post...

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I am curious as to the (price &) part number of the added taper leaf spring you ordered from Deaver. I noticed from the Website they don't have a listing for C5500 Kodiak(or Topkick)...much appreciate the descriptions & excellent pictures from your post...
no problem. i contacted Deaver via email explaining the vehicle and situation and what they might suggest to do. they recommended to stay with the taper leafs due to the weight and usage of the chassis in my setup. in a truck configuration, a regular multi leaf may be a better route. the gentleman i spoke with asked what the part number was of the stock springs and recommended the 221-TXL additional leaf from Triangle spring which Deaver kept in stock. i provided them with my current u-bolt measurements (so they could custom make correct length ones for my setup) and they were able to send the parts out within a day. the springs were $168 each, $78 for the u-bolts with washers and nuts. with shipping and tax (they are in CA where I'm at so gotta pay that) it came out to a couple bucks over $500.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
It was quite interesting when I was raising the rear of the coach from about where a 239" wheelbase's rear wheels would be, how much weight transferred to the front wheels....

Are you talking about running the Timbrens instead of the air helper bags? I like having the adjustability of the bags to level it side to side since the driver side leans a bit from all the weight on that side so I really haven't looked into them. That said, with the new springs installed, the driver's side is now just over 1/8" higher than the passenger side. I'm curious how the springs are going to settle.
The HD bump stops that I had used same mount as your OEM's.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Do you have a picture with the air bags installed? Trying to figure out that on mine.

Thanks
this was before i installed the new leafs and re-situated the lower bag mounts (they were installed a bit too far back and the bags were slightly deformed from that)

Attachments

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Just to follow up on this, I tried basically everything I could come up with within reason. In the end we sold the Kodiak and replaced it with this. Full air-ride is an amazing system...

Attachments

Reactions: ronjhall

·
Registered
849 Posts
Nice new ride!

Reactions: ElCaminoManT

·
Registered
32 Posts
Followed with interest. I currently have a C5500 Jayco Senca 35GS. I tow a 24' enclosed trailer with a 3000# racecar + tools and spares. Only additions I've made are air bags. It does have 245 H rated tires. It seems to tow and handle well. I run full fuel and water tanks. Now my idea of well may be different than some. Because I towed this trailer 100k miles + with regular class C motorhones. E450 Fords. Trucks passing or me passing them is not a problem. Other than being cautious on sharp curves, just set cruise at 70 and ride.

·
Registered
14 Posts
As I recall from memory on the original post a year or so ago, your RV has just 2 leaf springs on the rear My C5500 Gulf Stream RV Chassis already has 3 leaf springs in the rear so adding another may be a problem. I did contact Deaver and they were recommending replacing the existing springs which at least than 50,000 miles at the time I didn’t do. I do not have air bags as I was concerned about increased maintenance. Does anyone have a recommendation for a low maintenance air bag system?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Followed with interest. I currently have a C5500 Jayco Senca 35GS. I tow a 24' enclosed trailer with a 3000# racecar + tools and spares. Only additions I've made are air bags. It does have 245 H rated tires. It seems to tow and handle well. I run full fuel and water tanks. Now my idea of well may be different than some. Because I towed this trailer 100k miles + with regular class C motorhones. E450 Fords. Trucks passing or me passing them is not a problem. Other than being cautious on sharp curves, just set cruise at 70 and ride.
From my research while I was fighting to find a solution, it really seems to be very specific to that particular model/floorplan that I had with the short wheelbase and huge tail overhang. A very good friend of mine has an 08 35GS that he loves and takes EVERYWHERE.

As I recall from memory on the original post a year or so ago, your RV has just 2 leaf springs on the rear My C5500 Gulf Stream RV Chassis already has 3 leaf springs in the rear so adding another may be a problem. I did contact Deaver and they were recommending replacing the existing springs which at least than 50,000 miles at the time I didn’t do. I do not have air bags as I was concerned about increased maintenance. Does anyone have a recommendation for a low maintenance air bag system?
The airbags like mine had, from Firestone, are very low maintenance. Put air in them once in a while and go. It only becomes complicated if you do an onboard air supply type system. Mine, like in my 2500HD, are just plumbed with 2 lines to 2 schrader valves that I fill with air from a portable air tank. For zero maintenance, you'd probably be best off with something like from Timbrens or the like.

·
Registered
2006 Gulfstream Endura LLY performance tune
1 Posts
Deaver made that leaf? May I ask how much?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts