Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My unscientific review of the Superchips Tri-Tuner for 2001-2003 Duramax trucks.

My truck:

2003 Chevy 2500HD CC SWB Duramax Allison
Totally stock except for:
K&N air filter (bought for the 2001 6.L)
Autometer Z-Series pyro gauge = $135 shipped
Superchips Max Mircotuner #2705 = $295 shipped
Race weight = 6950 lbs.

On each of the runs I drove the truck on a 30 mile round trip with mixed city and highway (65 mph speed limit). My wife sat copilot and took readings for me.

Stock Setting (solo):
9/20/03
83 deg F., Cloudy and humid

Idle in park = 330 F
Stopped in drive = 375 F
Cruising at 65 mph (flat ground) = 650 F
Full throttle take off 0-70 mph = 1,050 F max.
Moderate hill ½ mile min distance at 60 mph (cruise) = 775 F

Comments:

Sluggish under 2k rpms, no smoke at any throttle setting

Tow-Safe (55 hp) Setting (solo):
9/20/03
83 deg F., Cloudy and humid

Idle in park = 320 F
Stopped in drive = 400 F
Full throttle take off 0-70 mph = 1,200 F max.
Moderate hill ½ mile min distance at 60 mph (cruise) = 800 F

Comments:

Lots of low end torque, noticeable surge of power at 1,500 rpms, begins to fade above 2,200 rpms, very light haze of smoke at initial full throttle take off, no smoke at any other time.

Performance-Tow (70 hp) Setting (solo):
9/20/03
85 deg F., Cloudy and humid

Idle in park = 325 F
Stopped in drive = 350 F
Full throttle take off 0-70 mph = 1,350 F max.
Moderate hill ½ mile min distance at 60 mph (cruise) = 775 F

Comments:

Low end torque is a cross between stock and tow-safe, slight surge at 1,700 rpms, very strong above 2,000 rpms, medium gray haze of smoke at initial full throttle take off, slight puff of gray haze at 1-2 gear change, no smoke at any other time, will easily chirp the tires on the 1-2 gear change.

High Performance (95 hp) Setting (solo):
9/20/03
81 deg F., Cloudy and humid

Idle in park = 325 F
Stopped in drive = 360 F
Full throttle take off 0-70 mph = 1,300 F max.
Moderate hill ½ mile min distance at 60 mph (cruise) = 785 F

Comments:

Very, very smooth from idle to redline, no surge noticeable, during full throttle runs the turbo makes a noticeable whine and truck feels very strong, black smoke at initial full throttle take off tapering to a gray haze at the 1-2 shift, then black smoke again till next gear change, then a light haze till release of throttle, no smoke at any other time. Again, very smooth. My favorite setting.

Towing my 2001 Wildcat 27RK 5th wheel (8,500-9,000 lbs ready to go)
High Performance (95 hp) Setting:
9/22/03
90 deg F., Cloudy and humid, 35 mile round trip

Stopped in drive = 450 F (after 10 miles of towing)
Cruising at 65 mph (flat ground) = 900 F
Full throttle take off 0-70 mph (up hill) = 1,375 F max.
Moderate hill ½ mile min distance at 65 mph (cruise) = 1,175 F

Comments:

Black smoke on full throttle take off, no smoke at any other time. Under full throttle take off with trailer I experienced a de-fueling that occurred from 2,900 –3,200 rpms before the next shift. The de-fueling was experienced on the 3-4 and 4-5 shifts. No de-fueling experienced at any other time. Truck tows easily and feels very strong and smooth.

Conclusion:

I prefer the first and third settings over the second setting. The second setting is definitely better than stock, but lacking a little in low torque compared to the first and third setting. The first setting is i

·
Registered
133 Posts
i tried mine out whilw my juice was in utha last week.. towed a bobcat 95 case xt 7000-8000 on traliler ...i couldnt get the pryro above 1100 the hole time and belive me i tried ...up hills down hills flat you name it....thats why i dont thin the superchips is near the horsepower it is advertised to be ...it my opionion tow any weight with the 110 setting i know if my edge box ever goes down i will ...my juice on like 50 u gotta watch pyro when pulling that same weight uphills....

conclusion s:

Superchips is a cheap 20-30 hp

·
Registered
754 Posts
From what I've read those EGT's are reasonable compared to other boxes, even better than some, considering it's a "budget" box. As far as SmokinMax's reference to being it underpowered due to the EGT results, all you have to do is look at Quadzilla's performance and EGT's to see that they don't have to be related. It all seems to come down to proper programming, and if Superchips can pull off reasonable EGT's then that's a bonus. The only way to be sure is to get one on a dyno, maybe one will be available for Oct. 11 in Grand Rapids.

Thanks for the info cdhd2001

Mike

·
Registered
704 Posts
cdhd2001 said:
The 95 hp setting is strong enough to make the Allison begin to slip slightly on full throttle take offs. I definitely would not go any higher (other brand of chip) with out first beefing up the Allison.

How do you know the Allison is slipping on takeoff? I wonder if mine is slipping, but I have nev er zinged or limped the Allison. I run the Quad 110HP pretty hard, and wonder if it is slipping.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Vfrrider

if the egts are low as sh+t and the trucks slow how can you say low egts doesnt mean lack of power? where i come from it does especially when it feeels about like a stock truck ....quad hauls a$$....everones making around 400-410 with hot juice box so if i made 438 with the 2 i would reasonable say its only 20-30 more hp ...so im not just blowing smoke...iv tried em... october 4th i let you know how they do on the dyno together and seperate as well as the comp juice and the stealth 215...good point on the quad being a low egt box though ..it gets the job done...like i said a good thing for superchips is is a cheap horse power gain im not disputing that ...but compareing it on 110 hi-pref mode compares kind of close to like level 2on reg juice 1 on hot juice...Edited by: SmokinMax

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Smokinmax,

Please don't think I am calling you a liar
, I think that maybe you just got a bad tuner.

I have had experience with gas engines and superchargers in the 2500HD's and know what an additional 30 hp feels like, +100 hp, and +150ish feel like in these near 7k lbs trucks. The Superchip tuner set for 95 hp definitly feels like it's making at least 90 hp.

Here is some superchip dyno info posted by brevam (TDP).

“My truck was used as a test platform for the Super Chip.
My truck stock, (D/A), got 243.6 HP at 3100 rpms and the max torque was 414.1 ft-lbs at 3100 rpms.

The first level the truck got 308.2 hp. For torque the truck got 526.9 ft-lbs starting at 2400 rpms to 3100 rpms.

The second level the truck got 327.8 hp. For torque the truck go 577.6 ft-lbs starting at 2600 rpms to about 2900 rpms. The torque dropped to about 570 ft-lbs from 2900 rpms to 3100 rpms.

The third level appeared to be a bit of a disapointment. But I don't know the numbers.

I brought the charts home and will scan them and send them to anyone who might be interested.

In all cases the hp was a steady climb.

The driving sensation was incredible. I especially liked the tightness of the shifting.”

I don't have any dyno numbers for the third 95 hp setting. However, by seat-of-the-pants the 95 hp most definitly blows the second (70 hp) setting away. Maybe I got a newer and possibly updated box?

·
Registered
133 Posts
i just got this box like last month ...ill know more on dyno numbers for it after october 4th ....i dyno it then ...you keep saying 95 hp ..mine say the hi-pref tow is 110........i guess ive just driven my juiced truck around to long ...if you think superchips feels like its putting down 90 try a juice box you wont be disappointed...ill look into the fact that i may have a bad one, sh*t happens ...like i said before for stacking and what i m using it for is a very affordable 20-30 horse( IN MY APPLICATION)....i wasnt trying to piss any one of with my thoughts on it ...

·
Registered
754 Posts
SmokinMax I was referring to your original post where I don't believe you mentioned you were stacking, it seemed your judgement was based solely on EGT's. Now I see your 20-30 numbers were in reference to stacking. Let us know after the 4th

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Smokinmax,

Weird! Yours said 110 hp? Here is an email I received from Superchips:

August 14, 2003

Hi

GM Duramax
95 hp 155 ft lbs-no towing
70 hp 120 ft lbs-towing less than 6000 lbs
55 hp 90 ft lbs-towing at the limit of the vehicle

No change on the fly

Programming can be returned to stock simply by plugging the tuner in and
programming the ecm back to stock.

Here is the dyno graph they sent me.

I purchased my Superchip from xxxper4mance.com (thru Ebay) on August 24, 2003 for $295 shipped with 2nd day ups shipping.Edited by: cdhd2001

·
Registered
133 Posts
yeha ive been told 110 ...maybe im wrong....prolly

ill let you kow what my truck dynos on highest setting with open air and ats tranny next weekend...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hey cdhd2001,

If you're going to the Canyon via Albuquerque, don't forget to honk the horn and wave as you go by!

Albuquerque George

1 - 11 of 11 Posts