Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 10,000 miles on my new truck, the tranny started to leak. Took her in and they placed the copper washers on her and gave her back in a couple of days...I felt good, because I read on here, that this would fix the problem MOST of the time.... Well, she was still leaking.
I took her back and got her today after two n half weeks at the dealership. They put 180 miles and her and took the tranny apart twice. They told my about the front pump may have been the problem... They put it back together and it was still leaking. The leak however was only two or three drops a day or every other day, the whole time it was leaking.....Ended up being the bell housing had a dime size bulge in it and was leaking through the bulge.. They said you could not see the leak, but the metal was weak and porus(sp?). I got a nice shinny new front housing!!!!! The rental charge was 710 dollars to their expense. The truck cost was over 6 thousand to fix! I hope this helps peeps out there that have a leakin tranny that doesnt ever get fixed. Dont kill me for pictures, becuase they said they already sent the bell housing to the parts department to ship back to Allison. I guess I could take a pic of the new one:cool:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Frank Kent. I forget the guy's name that worked on it, but from what I have heard, he does a thorough job. I can get his name if anyone is interested

·
Registered
266 Posts
philtopgun;1559557; said:
After 10,000 miles on my new truck, the tranny started to leak. Took her in and they placed the copper washers on her and gave her back in a couple of days...I felt good, because I read on here, that this would fix the problem MOST of the time.... Well, she was still leaking.
I took her back and got her today after two n half weeks at the dealership. They put 180 miles and her and took the tranny apart twice. They told my about the front pump may have been the problem... They put it back together and it was still leaking. The leak however was only two or three drops a day or every other day, the whole time it was leaking.....Ended up being the bell housing had a dime size bulge in it and was leaking through the bulge.. They said you could not see the leak, but the metal was weak and porus(sp?). I got a nice shinny new front housing!!!!! The rental charge was 710 dollars to their expense. The truck cost was over 6 thousand to fix! I hope this helps peeps out there that have a leakin tranny that doesnt ever get fixed. Dont kill me for pictures, becuase they said they already sent the bell housing to the parts department to ship back to Allison. I guess I could take a pic of the new one:cool:
Porosity is the terminology, it happens in alloy castings. Glad you've got it together now, enjoy!!

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
Was this out of your pocket?

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Why would they put 180 miles on it to fix a leak?

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Joey D;1561250; said:
To verify the repair before giving it back to the customer...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Joey D;1561250; said:
I was wondering the same :rolleyes: , They outta pay next months payment for you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had the exact same problem with my tranny, first they tried to tell me that it did not tighten the spin-on tight enough, so they changed the filter to remove the possibility that the filter was defective. They tried to charge me over $200 for labor, die and parts (truck is still under warranty), I fought with them and finally they just charged me for a filter. After 2 weeks I took her back because it was still leaking. This time they figured it out and replaced the front housing. Sometimes you just have to stick to your guns.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Was this out of your pocket? Thank goodness no. I signed the warranty slip and had the total cost at the end.. Well excluding the rental vehicle, which I also did not pay for. :eek:
Thanks, porosity is the correct term.:D
Like I said the leak was minimal, but I still had trans oil on the garage floor. The dealership took the trans apart and put it back together and drove it 25miles and no leak. The manager got into the truck, since this was my second time to bring the truck in for the same problem and he drove it 25 miles. Still no leak. Well they washed her and put her in the service bay fixing to call me when they found a drip on the floor. They pull the trans out again and did the dye, couldnt find the problem and put it back together. They then drove 80 miles and when they returned, the bottom of the trans pan had slight oil on it... So after the third time taking the trans out, they discovered the bell housing to have a porosity spot. Replaced with new and gave another test drive to make sure that was it... I drove 150 miles the day I got it and parked in the garage that night and the floor is bone dry!:D

I will ask if they will atleast pay half of next months 500 dollar payment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts