Diesel Place banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not an expert..just so you know

Okay when I step hard on the gas its sounds like a blow off valve on a rice rocket really loud , it will hiss and push out air like a jet engine (a waste gate doesn't hiss like that usually does it? and I cant figure out where the hell its coming from....:mad: I have never heard it do this before.....

The other side to that is I have been losing coolant lately and I can't find the leak could that be part of it as well?

All ideas welcome...

·
Registered
31 Posts
check all your tubing and fittings for leaks, tighten all hose clamps,, could be a wastegate blowing off premature -- but then I have never heard the sound your talking about, check your radiator and intercooler, you may have taken a rock or got something impaled through them... ... probably no help was I??

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
When our water pump went there was no sign of a leak, no puddles or anything. I'd have that checked after you check the hoses and clamps.

Don't know about the noise, assuming it's different for the turbo spool.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
double tap

·
Registered
72 Posts
watch your boost pressure when your on the throttle. If its not comin up you got a leaking intercooler or intake piping. Seen it lots on highway tractors. Hope this helps you out

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am going to check it out when I get a day off from work. I will let you guys know thsnks for the help

·
Premium Member
9,403 Posts
My water pump was leaking out the bottom of the pump. Didn't notice it except at certain times. Usurally not when it was at my house :mad: . Always when out driving and I'd stop someplace and notice it.

I too have the hissing noise and believe it to be some type of boost/intercooler leak. I changed one rubber boot but no change yet. I'm going for the boost line next. I can't build much boost and I get crappy MPG now.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
01Duramax6spd;1612111; said:
My water pump was leaking out the bottom of the pump. Didn't notice it except at certain times. Usurally not when it was at my house :mad: . Always when out driving and I'd stop someplace and notice it.

I too have the hissing noise and believe it to be some type of boost/intercooler leak. I changed one rubber boot but no change yet. I'm going for the boost line next. I can't build much boost and I get crappy MPG now.

My MPG is ok, but it must be the boostline. i will look at that. As far as losing coolant, I only notice it when it sits overnight.
I think I found the leak its my lower hose but unless it shoots coolant upwards it might be something else.

PM me when you change that boost line I'd like to know if that fixes the super-duper rice rocket sound :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright guys I found the problem. Time for a new water pump!!!!!! I pressure tested it today and its leaking....Should I got factory or is there a nicer after market one?

by the way thanks for the suggestions

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just had my waterpump replaced by Redline Diesel Performance in Corona CA. Clyde and his crew were great and the price was WAY below the stealer. This is not a cheap fix as the waterpump is gear driven and you need to pull the harmonic balancer to get to a couple of the fasteners. The pump alone is pricey but I went with the OEM.

·
Registered
6,578 Posts
GO OEM, they are the best waterpumps, the GM parts online thing is the best price also. about 160 and you get the whole thing including the pump housing!

·
Registered
339 Posts
I've done alot of oem water pumps at the dealer and it is the way to go. Put an aftermarket on on once at it did not come with the housing so you have to change it over. Going back on the engine it was really tight, didn't like it at all.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can get the pump (OEM) for 165.00 and I got a friends shop that will install it for 340.00 cash. I think thats a pretty good deal. Most places were quoting me 700 for the pump and install.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Remember, if your under 100k miles, it is a warranty repair and will only cost you $100.

Gary

·
Registered
432 Posts
Bummer on the warranty thing!!! That doesnt sound like a bad price when seeing the other route!
And it's definatley worth it so your truck WONT sound like a ricer!!!:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.