Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my latest tow out to the ranch. Went west out I-10, Texas. Turned off south at Mountain Home down to Rocksprings.
Very manageable tow at 70~75 mph. With the anti-sway bar attached, I did not experience any trailer issues. I could actually run faster, but the mpg got worse. So I usually stayed at 70~72mph.
Pulled the hills just fine at speed. Highest trans temps were at 190*. Highest engine temps reached 210. (Not OEM gauge temp., but computer readout connected at OBDII connector).
Of course this was done with TOW/HAUL engaged.

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Nice. I always wanted a sea can.:D

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
It was secure and stayed up on the trailer rails like that? That would have me a little puckered up.

·
Registered
509 Posts
It was secure and stayed up on the trailer rails like that? That would have me a little puckered up.

I've hauled a few of those. I set them on skids and winch them off. It helps that my flat deck tilts to ground level.

The way the floor bracing is and with no flex with the all steel construction, they are very stable when you have them tied down. That and weighing in @ 5000 pounds, they don't give you the feeling that they even want to move.

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
Is the empty weight for box. I got a call from a company in Pa that wanted me to go to port of newark NJ and pick up 20ft box with a vehicle in it. they could not tell me the weight. So I told them weight it and call me. they will probably call this weekend.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Is the empty weight for box. I got a call from a company in Pa that wanted me to go to port of newark NJ and pick up 20ft box with a vehicle in it. they could not tell me the weight. So I told them weight it and call me. they will probably call this weekend.
The weights are painted on the door.

The two 20's that I have show an empty weight so close to 5000 that its no worth splitting hairs. So just add that to the listed weight of the vehicle.

I would make sure there isn't anything else stuffed inside the container as well as the vehicle being strapped down good.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any idea what the weight was? And does the trailer have some sort of brakes?
container 5100#'s........
Trailer 2000#'s

Brakes on both axles, all wheels

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very secure. Secured about as well as when it's mounted on an 18 wheel hauler. On an 18 wheel hauler, it's only sitting on the corner framing, and secured at the corner framing. This was about the same.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After getting to the ranch, how did you get it off the trailer. Some day I'll get one of those. Cool tow.
I have a track hoe (earth mover with bucket), that I used to lift one end, set two 10' long 4" pipes across the top trailer rails, and rolled it off. just as the rolling end was at the end of the rails, I set the lifted end down on the ground, went to the other end still on the trailer, picked it up and pulled out from under it.
It took me and my buddy about 30 minutes to unload it and set it where I wanted it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I've hauled a few of those. I set them on skids and winch them off. It helps that my flat deck tilts to ground level.

The way the floor bracing is and with no flex with the all steel construction, they are very stable when you have them tied down. That and weighing in @ 5000 pounds, they don't give you the feeling that they even want to move.
You are right. Very stable. Just be sure your trailer is heavy duty. The trailer in my pic's is rated for 14000 lbs.
I hauled a fully insulated one like this to Rocksprings last summer, only on a flat bed. It weighed 6500#. The flat bed was the same height as the rails on this trailer.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
You wouldn't happen to know the width of the box, do you? I have a 14000 lb trailer, but it' doesn't have the rails. I would need it to fit between the fenders, which I think is 83-84".

·
Registered
886 Posts
You wouldn't happen to know the width of the box, do you? I have a 14000 lb trailer, but it' doesn't have the rails. I would need it to fit between the fenders, which I think is 83-84"

I'm pretty sure it won't fit between the wheels. Haulin these on a float it fills the deck. One of out bumper pulls is 83 1/2 I believe and it wouldn't fit.

Nice load Ranch. There's some pretty big hills headed out that way.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You wouldn't happen to know the width of the box, do you? I have a 14000 lb trailer, but it' doesn't have the rails. I would need it to fit between the fenders, which I think is 83-84".
I think I measured 95~96" wide. Right at a full 8' width.
No, it will not fit between the fender wells. See my photos. Same basic trailer, except I have the rails and set it on top of them.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice load Ranch. There's some pretty big hills headed out that way.
Yeah, it was definitely a wind catcher alright. But I have extra, heavy duty coolers on my engine and transmission just for such tows.
This is my second tow like this, except the first one was on a 14k flat bed trailer, and you are right, it took up the whole bed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts