Diesel Place banner

141 - 160 of 227 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
They would have had to mess something up to cause it to shift as low as you are saying. Did you buy it with the Heath PCM, or how did the stock one work?

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
They would have had to mess something up to cause it to shift as low as you are saying. Did you buy it with the Heath PCM, or how did the stock one work?
I sent mine off to them for reprogramming. I didn't tow with it any before I installed the turbo and tune, because I hadn't owned the truck long, but don't recall it shifting that low, especially at light throttle. It also has some flaring going from 3rd to OD, that was not there before. But I cant say for sure if this is from the programming, or a problem with the tranny, showing up with the added HP and torque from the tune and turbo.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
I spoke to Bill Heath for a considerable amount of time on Friday, and he thinks he's got it figured out what programming for the tranny needs to be changed. Before I pull the ecm and send it off to him, im gonna run it to the local tranny shop and for $40 there going to hook it up, and check the line pressure's, and electronics, and a few other things. I have a feeling the valve body, has some wear, especially in the pressure control plunger bore. That's probably whats causing the flaring when shifting into od.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
The flaring you experience is probably because they lowered the point at which 3rd gear will lock the TCC. So it is locking in 3rd at lower throttle and speed, each of which is lower line pressure. Then it goes to shift to 4th way early and it unlocks TCC to upshift. When it unlocks you get the flaring before it upshifts. Stock they wouldn't lock TCC until 42mph, which is really high for 3rd gear and your 4.10 gears. Lowering that is good, but you also have to raise 4th gear upshifts so it doesnt lug too much and raise the line pressure some.

The line pressure is commanded by the PCM, so when the shop looks at it, they need to verify what is commanded along with what the pressure is. The scanner will show them the commanded amount and a pressure gauge will verify the response.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
The flaring you experience is probably because they lowered the point at which 3rd gear will lock the TCC. So it is locking in 3rd at lower throttle and speed, each of which is lower line pressure. Then it goes to shift to 4th way early and it unlocks TCC to upshift. When it unlocks you get the flaring before it upshifts. Stock they wouldn't lock TCC until 42mph, which is really high for 3rd gear and your 4.10 gears. Lowering that is good, but you also have to raise 4th gear upshifts so it doesnt lug too much and raise the line pressure some.

The line pressure is commanded by the PCM, so when the shop looks at it, they need to verify what is commanded along with what the pressure is. The scanner will show them the commanded amount and a pressure gauge will verify the response.
What you are saying, is basically I think what Bill was, except you explained it much better. He also said he could probably get rid of the flaring with the re-tune. I'll tell you, when it comes to tuning and tranny's, ive got a lot to learn. I appreciate your input 94c1500, and will keep everyone informed of how this turns out.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Hey Mike, what was your boost # when you where pulling your the TT when in OD locked up? Thx

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
Hey Mike, what was your boost # when you where pulling your the TT when in OD locked up? Thx
Just cruising along on a level stretch, about 5 to 7. Pulling up a grade with fairly heavy throttle, about 10 to 11. The only way to get over that was to floor it so it would kick down to 3rd, then it would hit the wastegate at 20.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Thanks! That hybrid is looking sweet just not sure I'm going to be able to scrape the $ together.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
I know how it is. I wish I could scrape up the $, that turbo needs to go on someone's 6.5 or 6.2.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
Just cruising along on a level stretch, about 5 to 7. Pulling up a grade with fairly heavy throttle, about 10 to 11. The only way to get over that was to floor it so it would kick down to 3rd, then it would hit the wastegate at 20.
You might want to check your fuel pressure to the IP if you couldnt get more than about 11psi with your foot in it pretty good. What about while accelerating through gears, would it pop up to 20psi?

Problems with power will also cause shifting issues, and it could be related to the PCM, the fuel supply, PMD, IP, etc....

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
You might want to check your fuel pressure to the IP if you couldnt get more than about 11psi with your foot in it pretty good. What about while accelerating through gears, would it pop up to 20psi?

Problems with power will also cause shifting issues, and it could be related to the PCM, the fuel supply, PMD, IP, etc....
Yeah, if im on it hard it will, while towing just don't have enough rpm in od to get there. Last time I checked flow at the t-valve, it was good. Im getting plenty of fuel, in od the egt's start to climb to 1200, if I give it more pedal to where it kicks down to 3rd, it will jump up to 20 and egt's immediately start to come down. It seems like its creating a situation where its running to much fuel, hence the higher egt's and not enough air, i.e. turbo not spooling hard enough.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
I sent my ecm back to Heath today, for the re-tune, will post results when I get it back.

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
I sent my ecm back to Heath today, for the re-tune, will post results when I get it back.
Please do, Mike. I'm definitely getting one over the winter

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
Ok everyone, finally got my ecm back from heath for the re-tune. The reason this took so long is because Bill Heath and I exchanged at least 3 lengthy phone calls, discussing what the tune needed for the best results with an HX40 turbo setup for max towing. Although he would not divulge particular parameters, I know he changed timing parameters, shift points, trans. line pressure's and ? The results of the re-tune are nothing short of amazing. :coolnana: The turbo even spools harder and much sooner than before, it's like I upgraded to a duramax, that's how much seat of the pants difference there is in this re-tune. Bill did and awesome job, and I could not be happier. If anyone has a hx35 or 40 and wants this same tune for towing, Bill said to let him know what turbo you have, and that you would like the same tune as Mike from Missouri. :thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
846 Posts
Sweeettt!!!

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Ok everyone, finally got my ecm back from heath for the re-tune. The reason this took so long is because Bill Heath and I exchanged at least 3 lengthy phone calls, discussing what the tune needed for the best results with an HX40 turbo setup for max towing. Although he would not divulge particular parameters, I know he changed timing parameters, shift points, trans. line pressure's and ? The results of the re-tune are nothing short of amazing. :coolnana: The turbo even spools harder and much sooner than before, it's like I upgraded to a duramax, that's how much seat of the pants difference there is in this re-tune. Bill did and awesome job, and I could not be happier. If anyone has a hx35 or 40 and wants this same tune for towing, Bill said to let him know what turbo you have, and that you would like the same tune as Mike from Missouri. :thumb::thumb:
that's awesome:thumb:

·
Registered
736 Posts
I know how it is. I wish I could scrape up the $, that turbo needs to go on someone's 6.5 or 6.2.
Maybe I missed something. Is some selling a hybrid turbo?

Awesome!

·
Registered
9,975 Posts
Friggin awesome, I'll drop your name when I talk to him as I am putting an HX40 on my customers 98 in November.

Maybe I missed something. Is some selling a hybrid turbo?
Yeah, Ebay had one up for bids.

141 - 160 of 227 Posts