Diesel Place banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears that I'm up for injectors. The truck has just under 80,000 miles on it, and I've had extra fuel filtration since it was nearly new. I have also been very good about adding a lubricity additive & detergent package on almost all fuel fills.

The truck has been smoking blue/white at idle for about a month, getting a bit worse over time. The oil level has not been going up, nor have there been any other fuel-in-oil signs. The idle has been a bit rough, though nothing terribly noticeable. There have been no known codes thrown, no SES lights, nothing other than smoking at idle to indicate a problem. I could not say if power is down since I don't hot-rod it much. I have not noticed any major drop in power or issues above 2,000 RPM.

I took the truck to Henna Chevrolet in Austin, TX this morning. The service writer was very friendly and quite helpful. He mentioned that any programmers or tunes should be removed before service. He also mentioned that the added fuel and oil filtration I have is a very good idea, and that any injector issues or major engine problems should be taken care of by the 100,000-mile drivetrain warranty. He knew that '04s have been added to the 200,000 special-case injector replacement warranty. I do not yet know if all 8 injectors will be done, or just those that test bad. He did say they have a crew of mechanics that do ONLY diesels, and that they are currently busy with medium-duty trucks at the moment.

I'll be dropping off the truck next Wednesday, December 26th, for service. I will post follow-ups as they happen. Hopefully this whole process will be very boring and uneventful!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Henna Chevrolet looks like a great dealer to take your truck to!

This morning (Dec. 26th) I dropped the truck off at the dealer and rented a car to drive while they diagnose & repair the problem.

Just now I received a call from the service writer, and It looks like this will continue to be a boring thread :chevy:

All eight injectors will be replaced under the special policy warranty, and they are projecting that the work will be done tomorrow afternoon. :ro)

Not only that, the additional work I asked them to do (flush & fill coolant and replace the serpentine belt IF it comes off during work) will be done, and that it will cost me less than the full book rates since some of the labor is already done during injector replacement.

On top of all that, this dealership gave me car rental vouchers when I bought the truck. Renting the car through the in-dealership Enterprise office is costing me about $12 a day (rental taxes).

If everything goes well, I'll have my truck back tomorrow afternoon and I'll post more then.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Doesn't get much better than that, Glad everything went smooth:)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Mine is in the shop right now getting injectors replaced. Started smoking at 125k and now I am at 137k. The dealer is replacing mine without any problems.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
:ro)

And that is the way it should be.

Good to hear folks get treated right in some places!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just picked up the truck from Henna Chevrolet in Austin, Texas.
Mark Wilson, the Asst. Service Manager, was very helpful.
All eight injectors replaced as per Technical Service Bulletin 04-06-04-007
and
SPECIAL POLICY ADJUSTMENT BULLETIN #04039

I asked them to replace the serpentine belt if it was removed. They did this and charged me for the part only.
I also asked them to flush & fill engine coolant, which was done as part of the injector replacement (no charge).

All in all, the people at Henna Chevrolet have been GREAT!
I recommend this dealer and this service department.
:ro) :ro)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Got my truck back last night and it runs great. Has a lot more power. It feels really good having the truck like this again and zero smoke!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am picking my truck up today. It's having all 8 injectors replaced. It was smoking really bad at idle and lost alot of power. I took the truck in and no questions asked. atleast so far. Joe Holland Chevrolet in South Charleston WV

·
Registered
20 Posts
i picked my truck up this evening and it died on the way home. now it sounds awful when i crank it. i'll be calling them in the morning.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My dealer isn't aware of bulletin 04039B

Just back form my dealer and was told there wasn't anything they could do for my hard start and smoke condition...it hasn't gone in yet to determine the problem, but everything points to injectors. Most PM is done through this dealer. The advisor said that with 175,XXX Kms I am over the warranty coverage
Thanks to you guys I find that there is a special coverage for 04 LB7's under bulletin 04039B...so I called GM Canada gave them my VIN# and they are calling the dealer now.
This is my 5th 2500hd and 4th gm Deisel...brain fart 1999 6.0 nice truck way too much fuel. Never had a problem with this dealer before and felt ill when I left the service room. At least now I have some hope of avoiding 1000's of dollars in repairs, when I thought I was going to.
Just sayin' if you are first turned down keep trying.
Thanks Again,
Edge313
Current:
2004 sierrra s/box x/cab 175k
Previous:
2002 Sierra s/box x/cab 6.6 139K
1999 silverado s/box x/cab 6.0 350K
1996 Silverado l/box reg/cab 6.5 275K
1994 Sierra l/box reg/cab 6.5 375K

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i picked my truck up this evening and it died on the way home. now it sounds awful when i crank it. i'll be calling them in the morning.
From what little I know of your problem, it sounds like it may be an air leak in the fuel system.

If so, then its probably the fuel filter gasket.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Zombie Thread! :banghead:

Looks like I need a 4th set of injectors. The two replacements were done under warranty by the dealer (see sig below).

I will be replacing this set myself.
81,000 miles = first injector replacement Dec 2007
125,000 mi = second injector replacement Jan 2011
180,000 mi = current miles on vehicle

Are there any tricks to making LB7 injectors last longer than about 50,000 miles?

·
Registered
16,234 Posts
Zombie Thread! :banghead:

Looks like I need a 4th set of injectors. The two replacements were done under warranty by the dealer (see sig below).

I will be replacing this set myself.
81,000 miles = first injector replacement Dec 2007
125,000 mi = second injector replacement Jan 2011
180,000 mi = current miles on vehicle

Are there any tricks to making LB7 injectors last longer than about 50,000 miles?
I have heard that sac nozzles are better but require special tuning. Talk to [email protected] or John [email protected] Diesel
I was always replacing mine at about 100k to 125k mile but after 4 sets I decided to retire the truck and put it up for sale.

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Fuel rails and injector lines get corroded and should be replaced , a common problem with LB7 injectors going south after a replacement.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts