Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any spare engine internals to ship them?
Check their page at http://penitentyanks.blogspot.com/
They were doing a rally from England to Banjul
http://www.plymouth-banjul.co.uk/
At the end they were to auction the bus and donate to a charity & they have it loaded with bikes they are taking to kids in Senigal (apparently they are in great need of simple transportation in Africa as evidenced by the offeres they have recieved to buy the bikes, all of which are well used)
Now it seems they have a blown crank and possible pistons.
If anyone has any suggestions, post, or post on their comments section.
Any help will be appriciated.
Thank you in advance

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I think its a 6.2 diesel...I will be double checking with them as soon as I can:eek::
I've been searching online, there is a chance is may international engine:eek:: :eek::

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a 1987 Thomas with a v-8 diesel.
thats all I have from them,
Any bus mechanics here that could look this up?

·
Registered
884 Posts
A rally through Morocco is pretty hardcore service for a 6.2. Guess it will be a cummins next time? The only problem is that shipping parts there will either take a really long time or cost a fortune to ship by air. Crankshafts aren't light. Your best bet might be to contact the closest US military base for parts.

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
62bus;1592696; said:
Its a 1987 Thomas with a v-8 diesel.
thats all I have from them,
that's an International Harvester motor my friend...not a detroit. that must have took some doing to break :D !

sorry to say but finding parts for that motor, even here in America, will be hard to darn near impossible. maybe they can find another bus of that vintage and swap the motor out? i know its going to cost A LOT to ship a whole bus, but maybe its worth it to them if they cant find one local? maybe swap in a completely different make/model of motor and trans? just ideas...

good luck!

·
Registered
130 Posts
zetan;1592729; said:
From the picture with the doghouse off, I can see what looks like a J-code air intake for a 6.2L.

DANG! your right!! everything i found said it should be an IH motor :think:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Its wasn't so much as a rally, as it was a run, not timed or anything like that, just a few rally points for teams to meet up with and swap stories.

So general concensus is that it is a 6.2 GM diesel?
Any parts trader sites I can get them prices from?
A few people in the group have the time and determination to deal with it, even if the others have to return home, but they are still exploring options, the best deal may be to buy a vechicle locally and continue with that, at least get bikes to Senigal, but still we would like to pursue all options with the bus before moving on to plan b

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
62bus,

I am by no means an expert, but a broken crank and broken pistons usually means a full teardown/rebuild, not just a parts replacement.

Your nearest US military base would have spare motors and mechanics.
I would replace the whole motor and don't mess with trying to fix it.

Ebay is a great source for 6.2 parts, rebuild kits, but I somehow doubt you could get them shipped to Morocco in any timely fashion.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
62bus;1592776; said:
Its wasn't so much as a rally, as it was a run, not timed or anything like that, just a few rally points for teams to meet up with and swap stories.

So general concensus is that it is a 6.2 GM diesel?
Any parts trader sites I can get them prices from?
A few people in the group have the time and determination to deal with it, even if the others have to return home, but they are still exploring options, the best deal may be to buy a vechicle locally and continue with that, at least get bikes to Senigal, but still we would like to pursue all options with the bus before moving on to plan b
that is a 6.2 j code intake...i would say its safe to say it a detroit.

i know completely rebuilt long blocks (minus intake and IP) go for about $2k on ebay, plus freight. i dont know about international shipping though. this is the guy i bought my headers from, maybe drop him an email and ask

edit: removed link so as to not pee in turbinedoc's cheerios any further.

his ebay name is "natgolfpro", you should be able to find him by that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
zetan;1592801; said:
62bus,

I am by no means an expert, but a broken crank and broken pistons usually means a full teardown/rebuild, not just a parts replacement.

Your nearest US military base would have spare motors and mechanics.
I would replace the whole motor and don't mess with trying to fix it.

Ebay is a great source for 6.2 parts, rebuild kits, but I somehow doubt you could get them shipped to Morocco in any timely fashion.

All true. The best option would be sending them a rebuilt short block, or a complete longblock depending on what shipping is and having a shop throw it in. But even a band-aid crank and bearing job that would let them limp the rest of the way would be good.(but probably cost the same considering the labor involved). Still exploring options here.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Have they dropped the oil-pan and confirmed it's the crank yet?

·
Registered
130 Posts
yeah, that was in the blog. its a crank, 2 pistons and bearings to get them going again...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the_other_matt;1592822; said:
that is a 6.2 j code intake...i would say its safe to say it a detroit.

i know completely rebuilt long blocks (minus intake and IP) go for about $2k on ebay, plus freight. i dont know about international shipping though. this is the guy i bought my headers from, maybe drop him an email and ask http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rebu...ryZ33615QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

(Image has been resized. Click it for full size.)

cool. Now I have at least a direction to look at. I will be linking them to this thread, so they may reply also.
Thanks for the help so far. & I'm sure I'm not done with questions yet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So a reman crank looks to be about $300, and pistons are about $50 each. sound about right? Then rods most likely & bearings...
A shortblock seems to be the way to go

·
Registered
884 Posts
So far you know it needs a crank and 2 pistons right. Thats $400 total plus shipping and the labour to put it in. Labour might be a killer because it'll be the same as doing the work on a van. Probably going to be cheaper than the shortblock. The problem is if they want to keep the bus for future trips. If they want to keep it for the future the shortblock is definitely a better way to go.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
rock_shoes;1592920; said:
So far you know it needs a crank and 2 pistons right. Thats $400 total plus shipping and the labour to put it in. Labour might be a killer because it'll be the same as doing the work on a van. Probably going to be cheaper than the shortblock. The problem is if they want to keep the bus for future trips. If they want to keep it for the future the shortblock is definitely a better way to go.
The bus gets auctioned at the end for charity and they just fly home.
I just priced shipping a shortblock to morocco and it was somewhere around $7000 fedex. :rotflmao: I'll look at other options, but shipping individual parts might be the only affordable way if they can't source parts there.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Your best bet for sourcing parts locally would be the nearest US military base. Pretty much garaunteed they'll have the parts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
rock_shoes;1592954; said:
Your best bet for sourcing parts locally would be the nearest US military base. Pretty much garaunteed they'll have the parts.

I'll tell them to call the US Embassy and ask if there is one near by. I know they have contacted it already, but I don't know what they asked

1 - 20 of 22 Posts