Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Went on a 400 mile round trip pulling an enclosed snowmobile trailer (2 sleds) and a 3rd in the bed of my truck. Estimated around 3,000lbs.

Running the predator on 65hp and I can't believe how easy the truck pulled this going up and down the white mountains in NH. Kept the RPMs around 2k (65-70mph) and hand calculated 15.7mpg for the trip.

I'm quite pleased with this considering I've hand calc'd 15 or so mpg not towing during these winter months.

Now the bad: Pulling out of a toll booth (EZ Pass) from around 15mph and attempted to get in front of a suv. Pushed the pedal to the floor watching 24-26psi on my boost gauge but the truck didn't seem very powerful. During the 4-5 shift the engine surged for a second which I assume is because it's still learning the new power (had it for a 12 days but haven't towed with it till this trip). So I let off a bit (normal acceleration) and when I got to 70mph or so cruising (not accelerating) all of a sudden bamm, CEL came on and dropped down to 2k rpm. Figured I limped the tranny but I had all gears still.. Read the codes once I got home and got P1093 and P1094.

Reset and truck is fine now.. Truck has 6,500 miles on the new fuel filter.

I know I wasn't towing much weight compared to a bunch of you but I was still very pleased considering I upgraded to the duramax from a toyota tacoma (supercharged). :grd: :ro) :ro)

·
Registered
983 Posts
Do a search for the P1093 code, pretty common on the LLYs. The fuel pressure relief valve pops and you lose fuel pressue. A common thing to do is to take it apart and shim it. Or you can wait to hear some feedback on the new TTS downloader coming out. TTS says their programs will not throw those codes.

OCDUNE

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What was the temp outside?
Temps outside were 28-45*. I was towing without the front winter cover and was running around 125* tranny and 185-190* ECT.

Obviously there was no concern for overheating towing such little weight..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Okay, I'm still kind of new at this, but can someone exlain to me two things?

1. Front winter cover: what is this and is it something purchased through the dealer? When do you need one?

2. Limping the tranny: what exactly does this mean??

For all I know, I could be limping my tranny without a front winter cover and be screwing everything up...thanks

·
Registered
983 Posts
Front winter cover blocks part of the grill off, it helps the truck get up to temperature in cold climates, otherwise too much air passes over the radiator and engine. We are talking really cold climates, some people starting their trucks at -20 degrees or colder.

Limping the tranny- you would know it if you ever did this. This happens when you run too much power for the allison, the tranny sensed too much slip, and it will go into limp mode, and you will have 3rd gear only, and the check engine light will come on.

OCDUNE

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my first one plugged at 10,500 and I have had no issues again since that 1 P1093 code set. I plan on changing it around 9.500-10k miles which is what most say to change there filter at.

·
Registered
40 Posts
What are you people buying for diesel fuel? My fuel filter has almost 16K on it with no problems. Because of all the comments on this site I do have a spare filter. I buy the cheapest fuel I can find, though at these stations they sell quite a lot of fuel.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
I went over 20k on the original fuel filter, it would still be on there except the quickie lube type shop made a great offer to change it. :)

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
One of the problems with going too long on a filter is never talked abut much here.... IF you break down on the side of the road with any type of injector problem the dealer MAY take a sample of fuel and look at the filter.... If your close to home you might be able to change it out befor it goes to the shop,,, If not it could be a problem.... The first thing two different dealers did to my trucks..was pull the filters and take a sample of the fuel when I had problems. I was damn glad the filters were not too old and full of crap or water...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Try the amsoil filters on the fuel , we used them with great success to 20k easily.
Tranny limping, watch it using the cruise control while towing or loaded in hilly country , the speed sensors will not communicate properly , you will get a downshift and the ally will silp. This generally happens at the bottom of a hill after the truck has coasted for a short time and tries to catch up to quick to the set speed.tuner or no tuner all are the same, this has been a problem on the LLY truck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts