Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
Just had my first service completed @ the dealer. I did it there so it would show on record. Now I can do my own service between dealer maint. I have some pics of the fuel filter with aprox 5700 miles. Man, how can they say 15k between changes. Mine was way ready to be changed. I will change every 5k, and have dealer change every 5k. I know it is expensive, but when you see the pics at such a low mileage. Truck runs much smoother now. Items completed there, LOF, Tire Rotation, Tranny filter (external), front end alignment (warranty), both diffs, and seat memory module (warranty), and of course the fuel filter. I will try to get pics on there tomorrow. I am not running any additive, and have not installed my Racor secondary filter yet. Hopefully next weekend for the Racor. It will go in Pre location. Has the WIF and heater. Greg makes a great kit. The dealer is great. Hardin in Anaheim, Ca. They know the Duramax very well. They did this in 4 hours and gave me a complimentary wash as well. I am a happy camper today.

BillEdited by: Redapple

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
okay here is the pic

·
Registered
994 Posts
Where are you buying your fuel at? I purchase mine at Chevron and at 8k miles, the filter hardly looks used. I'll be changing mine this weekend again. This will be the first time with the Racor Pre-OEM. I'll take some pictures and post here. Edited by: OC_DMAX

·
Registered
23 Posts
I to have decided to change fuel filters every 5000, not because if any sign of comtamination but I found that Carquest is now selling them for half the dealer price ($18.00) and when you look inside they have the same markings as the AC at the dealers, obviously the same manufactuer and quality. They also have oil and air filters for the Duramax. So I can afford to cnage more frequently and maybe prevent some problem.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I get my fuel at a very high traffic Union 76 by my house in Torrance. I also will be adding the Racor next weekend, so we will see the difference with the Pre filter setup. I am anxious to see your pics with the Racor installed.

Bill

·
Registered
994 Posts
Redapple,

I decided not to change my fuel filters a couple of weekends ago. I took a measurement at the fuel system test port. Only had 3 inHg of vacuum. So both the filters must be doing good at about 7,000 miles

I did take a picture for you of my original OEM filter that was changed out at 9,000 miles (was in error above where I indicated 8,000 miles) and the picture is posted below. NOTE: THIS WAS BEFORE THE PRE-OEM filter installation on my truck. So I have the same set-up as you, just OEM filter. The point is, you getting a fair amount of contaminants in your filter by 5,000 miles. I know you realize that. The supplemental Racor will definetly help.

You may want to consider a different station/brand of fuel if it is convenient. I have been using Chevron (here in Yorba Linda) and have had good results. I talked to the station owner early on and know that they have fuel filters in-line with their pumps and they change them on a regular basis. The filter pictures support this. Reference the Fuel Analysis Spreadsheet that JBPLOCK is maintaining. Part way into that spreadsheet, you will notice an entry for OC_DMAX. That data was taken with a Pre-OEM Racor plus the OEM Racor using Chevron fuel. The results are very good. More evidence of good fuel from this one particular station.

http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO/OC_Dmax.pdf

I hope this information helps as a comparison. Your taking the right steps by cutting your filters open. Possibly change stations/brands and repeat the process. You'll eventually arrive at the right combination. The results will be less wear on the injectors over the life of the vehicle.

Have a good one,

Alan

Edited by: OC_DMAX

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OC_DMAX,

Thanx for the pic. Wow, what a difference! I have switched from union 76 by my house to a Shell a few blocks away. I haven't had the chance to talk to the owner, but it appears to be a high volume station. I have installed the Racor in the Pre-oem position. Thanx for all the info.

Bill

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
I replaced my OEM Fuel filter at 5722 miles. This is after I put the Nicktane Pre OEM filter on at around 5300 miles. It isn't too dirty but it could be better in my opinion. I haven't had the luxury of getting fuel at the same station all the time. Anyway here are some pics.

Edited by: GMC-2002-Dmax

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just throwing in another apple. A slighty used/dirty filter, in my opinion, is better than a new one because it will filter better. Now keep in mind this is to a point.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ripnsumlip,

No Injector probs here. I have a very early 04, build is sept 03. It's a LB7 motor.

Bill

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Redapple,

Looks like you live over on the north end of Torrance by the Mobil refinery!!! I grew up in Torrance and my brother and friends live near there.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I just replaced my oem filter at 5700 miles. It looks exactly like Lakingslayers. The only diffrence is at about 4700 I put on a Racor 10 Micron prefilter. The racor showed some signs of discoloration on the bottom. But it had just started. I installed a 2 Micron Racor in place of the 10. We will see what they look like in another 5700. I have heard that GM is hinting that if they are changed at 5000 miles there will be no injector problems. After looking at all the pics and seeing for myself I think 5000 give or take a little is about right. Trouble is it is expensive. I guess if you want to play you have to pay.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BigDaadyG,

You are right. I live in Werst Torrance, maybe 2 miles or so from the refinery. Small world!

Bill

1 - 14 of 14 Posts