Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nice lil' forum you guys have set up here. Lots of info that'll take me weeks to cifer through. I've been around diesel's for a while now, but ones I'm used to are a little bigger, ie: 1800 ft/lbs Caterpillars, hehe. I'm a grease monkey for a small trucking company, but I've never worked on anything other than Cats. I've had my '96 5.7 for quite a while now, and been doing a lot of pulling with it, usually grossing 18,000-20,000 lbs with trailer. Local farmer finally traded his '98 6.5TD in and I jumped on it. Got it for a reasonalbe price, at least it was below KBB value. Its not got a great deal more power than my 5.7, according to the factory specs, but after driving the 6.5TD, I must say it has much more torque. I've yet to hook any weight behind it, for now I'm just playing with the fuel mileage seeing what it's capable of.

I'm a sucker for more power (who isn't?). Just wondering what, if any, free mods there are available for these 6.5TD's? I know the old trucker truck of unplugging the WG letting 'er boost to death, but I'm under the impression that these stock engines can't handle great deals of boost. So I've yet to try that. Thought I'd do a little more research on the engine before I go to monkeying with it. I would definately like to do a relocation on the FSD that I've been reading about, but not quite sure what to do or where to locate it to.

The only thing I can see that has been done to the truck its had a new rail-pump and the exhaust has been opened up (no cats or muffler, straight to the rear through dual pipes on each side). Curious to what else I can do to help this thing breath easier or increase the power without too much expense.

Thanks for the help in advance. Would greatly appreciate any info I can get.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Welcome to the site, your 1st homework assignment is spend next week or so going through the FAQ sticky's linked in my signature.

BTW you get an A for updating your signature with 1st post

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
If you give a stock 6.5 full boost you will end up like Canadian Rigger. Boom :eek:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Paintman, in reading your post I noticed that you said the exhaust was moded to be dual with the cat and muff removed. Did they "Y" it on the down pipe? Just wondering how it gets across the frame rails. I like the looks of duels at the rear bumper and was curious.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately its just a cheap exhaust job. Single pipe from the turbo back to about the headboard of the bed. Y's off from there to the back, but it don't go out at the bumper, it goes out behind each rear tire, straight out the sides. It has the same angle and shape as the factory outlet pipe, but just on both sides.

I see everyone speaking of the Gas exhaust on these trucks. The pipe coming off the turbo looks much larger than 2 3/4". More like 3" or larger. Now the crossover pipe looks much like my 5.7. Is that the correct piping for '98's? or has this exhaust (turbo back) been changed?

I've got my digital camera, but just ain't had a chance to take any pics of the lil' diesel yet. I'll get some pics for you all soon enough.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts