Diesel Place banner

81 - 100 of 156 Posts

·
Super Moderator Eco-Logistical
4,273 Posts
I live here in good ole St. Paul, MN. I put 5w-40 like you recommended, that oil coming out was blacker than night!!! I changed the rear axle fluid and gasket because i wanted to clean the magnet. That oil was also pretty bad!

I'm going to the the Transfer case and ran across this thread, have you sen or heard about this?
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76-speciality-forums/64-maintenance-fluids/148592-transfercase-info-3.html http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76...enance-fluids/148592-transfercase-info-3.html

It says it better to run 5w-30 motor oil in the transfer case than the atf, any thoughts?
Yup.
Black oil is the norm when running the soot producing beasts we drive.

The kit from amsoil with oil and bypass filter will help that a lot.

Reactions: Notorious

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Yup.
Black oil is the norm when running the soot producing beasts we drive.

The kit from amsoil with oil and bypass filter will help that a lot.
They are beasts, I will look into this bypass filter. I'm surprised I have not ran across it while I been looking into stuff around the forum!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Even with a brand new engine oil turns black within a couple hours in diesels. I have had new VW's and had a tractor engine rebuilt. On those you could see a brown tinge on the dipstick the first check but after running a couple hours it was black. At first its kinda a see trough black but for sure black.

If you don't like paying the price or are not 'sold' on full synthetic Mills Fleet Farm has what I think is a store brand 5w-40 blend diesel (and gas rated) oil. Its in a 2 gallon jug and around $25. I buy that stuff 4 jugs at a time and use it in everything but my VW. In the past I had tried Rotella 15-40 in 70's gas engines and always had a nasty slime mist near breathers and PCV but for what ever reason the Mills stuff doesn't do that so its been my go to oil for about 4 years now.

I have seen black gear oil too. You wonder how that happens. I may be doing one of mine today. Was swapping tires around and was reminded that I apparently have a leaking seal and the style you can slide the drum off without the hubs so I took a peek. Never seen that much black oil in a brake drum before. I have seen some signs of goo but this thing is practically dripping. Was going to get to it later but after seeing it last night I think it jumped to the top of the list.
I never seen oil so black so I was a little worried, but seems that is normal.
I'm going to drain at 1500 k even if it doesn't do anything it will make me feel better.

I'm doing the transfer case and the front diff, gotta try before it gets to cold!

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
Looking at the forecast it looks like we will be ok weather wise for at least another week but then I saw some below zeros so gotta make sure everything is done by then. That ain't working on the truck weather, its couch and tv weather for me.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Looking at the forecast it looks like we will be ok weather wise for at least another week but then I saw some below zeros so gotta make sure everything is done by then. That ain't working on the truck weather, its couch and tv weather for me.
Yes sir that is true, no working out side! I'm having the same thoughts, still got the radiator flush and the transfer case. I started on the transfer case but i couldn't remove the speed sensor. I didn't want to break it, so I stopped. I will look at some videos, see if i can't figure it out.

Napa didn't have dextron VI, now I gotta order it online. They had some but not Amsoil.I did pick up the filter and rubber gasket.

Got my new back rack on today! She looks mean with it, yes I refer to my truck as a her! Big Booty Judy!

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,983 Posts
You don't need Dex VI.

The Valvoline Maxlife Dex/Merc is probably one of the most popular ATF and people have used them with good results. Just saying.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
You want to put Dex VI in your 200 k3500 transmission and/or transfer case? I recall reading some discussion that older stuff may have problems with DexVI, that the gaskets/seals don't hold up (even up to my '04).

Newer trucks that spec'd DexVI had revised gaskets/seals and if you rebuilt older stuff with new gaskets/seals, then it also works ok...

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,983 Posts
Then, please check the manual for 2000, since it is still 6.5L with the same parts as other 6.5l from 96 to see if it NEEDS Dex VI.

Not trying to argue but if the manual said it does not need Dex VI, then it is fine to use previous Dex which is easier to find.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Just use Dex 3 (III) fluid. It is what your trans is designed for. Dex 6 (VI) did not even come out till 2006.
Do not use motor oil in your Xfer case when mated to an auto trans. If a seal lets go between the 2 and the motor oil makes its way into trans. You will be buying a new trans soon. If you have a manual trans you can use 10-30 if you want to but the xfer case was designed to run fine on DEX3

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,983 Posts
The Dmax is the truck using the 5w-30 synthetic in the transfer case.
They had trouble with burning the transfer case with ATF.

To the OP, when reading forum, pay close attention on where you are.
Using Google will find everything wrong with everything without knowing the context that they are talking about Dmax truck and even gasser instead of 6.5L TD truck.
I did the same thing until I familiarize myself and that did not happen till I am about 1 years reading.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
You don't need Dex VI.

The Valvoline Maxlife Dex/Merc is probably one of the most popular ATF and people have used them with good results. Just saying.
OK, i was going with 6 because the Napa sales guys said that's what his computer showed!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Then, please check the manual for 2000, since it is still 6.5L with the same parts as other 6.5l from 96 to see if it NEEDS Dex VI.

Not trying to argue but if the manual said it does not need Dex VI, then it is fine to use previous Dex which is easier to find.
Luck the truck did come with a manual, I will look at it tomorrow, see what that thing says!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Just use Dex 3 (III) fluid. It is what your trans is designed for. Dex 6 (VI) did not even come out till 2006.
Do not use motor oil in your Xfer case when mated to an auto trans. If a seal lets go between the 2 and the motor oil makes its way into trans. You will be buying a new trans soon. If you have a manual trans you can use 10-30 if you want to but the xfer case was designed to run fine on DEX3
The Dmax is the truck using the 5w-30 synthetic in the transfer case.
They had trouble with burning the transfer case with ATF.

To the OP, when reading forum, pay close attention on where you are.
Using Google will find everything wrong with everything without knowing the context that they are talking about Dmax truck and even gasser instead of 6.5L TD truck.
I did the same thing until I familiarize myself and that did not happen till I am about 1 years reading.
Thanks for the info, I'm glad to be here with fine gentlemen full of Knowledge.
This is my first Diesel truck, so I'm learning as I go here!

I have not done the transfer case because I could not get the speed sensor off to re fill it. My pops said there is a fill nut like the front Diff,but I could not locate it.

I got called back to work so I haven't had much time to work on the truck :(.
The gas gauge and the volt gauge are driving me nuts, the constantly move, when I press the brake it happens or when activate any kind of electronic. I took the dash off to see if there was any loose wires. There was not, I checked a few grounds they looked ok. I did notice the batteries were from 12/13 not sure if that would do it.

When I fill up on the needle on the gauge goes way past, like I over filled it but didn't, once the pump stops I don't try to keep filling it the most I can.
I posted a little video before showing the gauges. If any one has this happened before please help!

·
Registered
849 Posts
Thanks for the info, I'm glad to be here with fine gentlemen full of Knowledge.
This is my first Diesel truck, so I'm learning as I go here!

I have not done the transfer case because I could not get the speed sensor off to re fill it. My pops said there is a fill nut like the front Diff,but I could not locate it.

I got called back to work so I haven't had much time to work on the truck :(.
The gas gauge and the volt gauge are driving me nuts, the constantly move, when I press the brake it happens or when activate any kind of electronic. I took the dash off to see if there was any loose wires. There was not, I checked a few grounds they looked ok. I did notice the batteries were from 12/13 not sure if that would do it.

When I fill up on the needle on the gauge goes way past, like I over filled it but didn't, once the pump stops I don't try to keep filling it the most I can.
I posted a little video before showing the gauges. If any one has this happened before please help!
I have that same problem...Work interferes with doing fun stuff! work = :bat: fun = :coolnana:

Gas gauge on all my GM trucks are like that...Full is overfull...

sigh...except my C3500 HD dumptruck with the well known rear-tank transfer sending unit issues...thing will hold over 100 gallons of fuel..but you'd never know it by the gauge :bawl:

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
GM hasn't used or licensed Dex III products since about 2005 when they switched to Dex VI. Dex VI supercedes Dex III and is reverse compatible, according to GM. That being said, I use Castrol Transmax Dex/Merc in my tranny and transfer case and love every minute of it.

Since GM no longer licenses the Dexron III spec, you might not find any fluid that actually says Dexron III on the front label anymore. Most that I've seen say Dex/Merc.

As to your fuel gauge... mine kinda does the same thing. I think it's common for the gauge to not be very accurate. Mine stays near full for quite awhile and drops off faster after about the half mark. If it's really screwy it might be the sending unit.

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,983 Posts
There are 2 plugs on the t-case: top is the fill plug and bottom is the drain plug.
Same side.

IIRC, they are large like more than 1.5" size.
There may be a skid plate covering it.

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
On my 95 when I bought it the gas gauge would randomly jump all over the place. I decided to deal with it later and just filled it up and it started acting fairly normal. That was a few years ago. Recently I got some sort of a leak back at or near the tank so I drained most of the fuel and noticed the gauge has gone wacky again. Not sure if its a sending unit issue when its 'dry' or not enough weight to make a good ground. I suspect the sender because with all the rust on the rest of the truck I would think a little weight would not fix it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #99 (Edited)
Hello men, well as I was doing the glow plug removal. I found a ground on the passenger side on the frame not connected. I tried looking it up all I found was it goes to the manifold. Could any one of you fine sirs point me in a more detail way to as where exactly it goes. I see one end goes the the fire wall. Any help would be greatly appreciated like always.

Attachments

81 - 100 of 156 Posts