Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 gmc serria duramax diesel, everything is stock except the injectors were changed by the dealer 60,000 km ago, what happens is when im driving mostly on the highway going up a large hill, the engine light will come on and the truck will lose power and slow down and wont go above 2000 rpm, i have a brand new fuel filter on the truck, and i can pull over turn the truck off and start it again and the truck will work fine even if i drive with the peddle to the floor, i brought it to an GM technichan and he said the truck is going into what is called a limp mode but does know why yet, can anyone help me or hear of this problem befor? thanks alot!!

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
It is ECM fuel related not transmission related.Fuel is being cut back ,what are the codes?

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
Does your air box still duct into the fender?

Like Mac says, get us some codes.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the technichin said that it was reading "Massive Fuel Leak" on the computer,
but there is no fuel leak whatsoever that anyone could find. theres also a new air filter and all new fluids in my truck.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
also if i drive my truck easy its perfectly fine, its just whenever i need the power, that it does this.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
i can pull over turn the truck off and start it again and the truck will work fine
Sure sounds like the tranny's slipping when you get on it , and going into limp mode... Good Luck

Let us know what you find :confused:

·
Registered
429 Posts
our 05' duramax work truck does this sometimes also. But usually its right around the time that the fuel filter needs changed. And changing the fuel filter always fixes it. Maybe try using a diffrent brand fuel filter that filters better or somthin. just throwin out an idea. let us know if u figure out a fix for it.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
If it's RPM restricted it isn't transmission limp mode.Probably have another bad injector or two and it's shutting down injectors restricting power.

Any Diesel fuel in the oil?

·
Registered
310 Posts
I wonder where the sensor is that generates this "Massive Fuel Leak" signal. If it's after the fuel filter that I would think that low pressure (i.e. clogged fuel filter) can cause this error? Anyone know where the sensor is?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will see what i can do further about this, and i will let yas all know how it turns out, if i had to take a wild guess i would think its a sensor to. Thank you everyone for giving me some idea to what this might be! thanks again!

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
The fuel pressure sensor is on the rail on the driverside I believe .They were prone to leak externally on 01's.Trust me if it was leaking you would know it.

Funny thing is when mine let go it threw no code so I highly doubt that is it.I would Lean more towards an injector diagnose.If internal leak in the fuel pressure lines was occurring you would have oil dilution.

The only other sensor could be the fuel rail pressure control valve located on the Bosch pump.Known more for a hot lope idle when they stick.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Maybe regulator and sensor both.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I had this exact same thing happen with my '01 and it was because it wasn't getting high enough fuel pressure.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Mine has those symptoms when the high idle switch is on. Just a thought.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just brought mine in over the weekend for the same reason. Just got the call from the dealer service department -- leaking fuel regulator. It's covered under the GM Diesel warranty with a $100 deductible.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have very similar problem, however mine is accompanied by a turbo heat problem. Mine was getting so hot that the air intake tube was heating up to 215 degrees causing the MAF to malfunction turn the service light on and limit rpm to 1800. Check the bracing that holds the CAC/Radiator to the front of the truck and see if that is hot as well. If it is you have the same prob as me and I will let you know what the dealer tells me.

Check this thread

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66736

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have very similar problem, however mine is accompanied by a turbo heat problem. Mine was getting so hot that the air intake tube was heating up to 215 degrees causing the MAF to malfunction turn the service light on and limit rpm to 1800. Check the bracing that holds the CAC/Radiator to the front of the truck and see if that is hot as well. If it is you have the same prob as me and I will let you know what the dealer tells me.

Check this thread

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66736
yeah next time im out tomorrow im going to see if it gets hot like you said and i am curious to know what you find out, cant wait till you write back thanks!

·
Registered
278 Posts
My 01 does the same thing as well, but everytime it is when the fuel filter needs changed.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts