Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My duramax on Nitto Terra Grappler 285's, pics & a torsion bar question for you guys?

I just got my new tires put on today. I went from some Bridgestone Duelers in 265's to 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grappler A/T's today.

I got a killer deal. My buddy has a wholesale account with 4 wheel parts and I got them for $124 each out the door (no tax) at the local 4 wheel parts place. $496 total! I am stoked about the price.

So I go have them put on and figured they might rub till I got it home to mess with the torsion bars. I never touched the torsions since I got the track (last week). The tires didnt rub at all, and dont look like its going to close even offroad.

Well I got under neath, and the driver side torsion is only 3-1/2 turns from being fully tightened in bottomed out. The passenger side looks like its about 4-5 full turns out less than the driver side, but the truck sits level.

I turned the driver side the 3-1/2 turns all the way in (bottomed out on stock keys) and turned the passenger side in 3-1/2 turns too.

The truck sits about an 1" higher now than it did, and its even on the tape measure.

Is it ok to have the torsion bar bottomed out on the drivers side??

Pics:

Before:

After:

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
You need to get the front end aligned now that you have done that. Might want to invest in some green keys, install those and then get the front end aligned, you will have to turn those up less to get it level and then you still have room to play as the torsion bars relax some.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im going to get it aligned this week. Actually I dont need to go any higher. So is there any reason to change to the green keys? If possible I guess id rather leave them cranked the way they are now.

·
Registered
490 Posts
AidanN20;1599147; said:
So is there any reason to change to the green keys? quote]

IMHO nope.

Jason

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
No need for keys if your happy with height.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
def. get an alighnment so those tires wear properly. i dont think you need keys, i think the hieght is perfect. but if u plan on going taller later on then green keys will get you there. on all the chevy trucks weve had the driverside always takes more than the passenger to raise, and there nothing wrong with them maxed out. have you checked side to side to see if one side is taller than the other?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ooo good point on the spare...I think i might swap one of my good condition old 265's onto the spare just so its "close" in case I have to use it in an emergency

(If I got a flat on the rear, I could swap from front to back and run the 265 on the front to get it home etc)

Im off to get an alignment tomorrow...

Thanks guys

1 - 9 of 9 Posts