Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read through the sticky on injector balance rates and I think I need to go look at scanner again and see if I can get some kind of flow reading.

It's late and I'll admit I glazed over reading the thread a time or two.

I've got an autel scanner and I'm still getting used to it, so not sure if I can get the info I need.

Good news is smooth running and no white smoke.

The truck came to me from auction site. 173K miles. 2003 silverado 2500HD

Thanks

NH

·
Administrator
18,093 Posts
Injectors should all be within +- 4.
It looks like #4 and 5 are hanging around 3ish.. They are within spec but I would monitor them. If they creep up to 3.5 I would run some injector cleaner through the system and see if they come down.
The rest looks fine.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right..thanks.

I got the vibe reading about injector cleaner that it isn't something you do periodically. That it's something you do once you have a reason.

Did I read that right?

So..I should wait until the rates get up to 3.5 to do the cleaning, instead of knocking it out now.

NH

·
Administrator
18,093 Posts
Right..thanks.

I got the vibe reading about injector cleaner that it isn't something you do periodically. That it's something you do once you have a reason.

Did I read that right?

So..I should wait until the rates get up to 3.5 to do the cleaning, instead of knocking it out now.

NH
Using Injector cleaner periodically is correct. You could knock it out now if you wanted to.
The threshold is+-4, so you can wait till you hit that mark or just before to do the cleaning..
Just be sure to run a good additive through each tank of fuel to help those injectors

·
Registered
2002 LB7 6.6L EXTENDED CAB 295,000 MILES S&B AF BOSCH INJECTORS 4" EXHAUST 5"TIP
15 Posts
Read this and it made me question my routine. Currently my truck is at the shop for head gasket repair. I did my own injectors in march of 2019. Replaced with new Bosch I have 43,xxx miles on them. Balance rates are great. I always ran diesel Kleen at each fill up and filled fuel filter at each replacement. I recently switched to Sytanadyne at the advice of an older guy I'm friends with at work. So dont use additives at each fill up? Only when injectors need attention? Thanks.

·
Administrator
18,093 Posts
Read this and it made me question my routine. Currently my truck is at the shop for head gasket repair. I did my own injectors in march of 2019. Replaced with new Bosch I have 43,xxx miles on them. Balance rates are great. I always ran diesel Kleen at each fill up and filled fuel filter at each replacement. I recently switched to Sytanadyne at the advice of an older guy I'm friends with at work. So dont use additives at each fill up? Only when injectors need attention? Thanks.
Yes, use a fuel additive that contains lubricity in each tank of fuel. This will help out the fuel system.
A Lift pump, fuel additive, extra fuel filtration, is always beneficial to a Duramax engine

·
Registered
2002 LB7 6.6L EXTENDED CAB 295,000 MILES S&B AF BOSCH INJECTORS 4" EXHAUST 5"TIP
15 Posts
Yeah the lift pump.gonna have to wait a bit. Broke.

·
Administrator
18,093 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
All I ever hear about is airdog.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This option looks more affordable

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
201 Posts
I installed the AirDog II-4G, DF-100 since it came with a lifetime warranty on the motor and provided extra filtration along with a positive pressure fuel delivery. Have had it installed for approx. 4 years now with zero issues. The Kennedy Diesel option is, I'm sure, a good option also. Either way, I think you can't go wrong.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
30 Posts
You have to calculate fuel rate/ injection amount into the balance rate number. See this post.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts