Diesel Place banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

I inherited my grandpas 1981 C10 Scottsdale with the 5.7 diesel. It still runs great and I am looking forward to owning this beautiful truck.

Where do I source the Victor Reinz head gasket kits at for this?
Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Car

·
Administrator
22,295 Posts
Welcome,

RockAuto would be the goto source but atm they are out of stock on those VR gaskets.
You can try to source them by grabbing the part # from RockAuto and put the number into Google
(y)

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,124 Posts
Yes those victor 3736 gaskets are now obsolete.Felpro head gaskets I find are a waste of time for that engine.I never did have any luck with them.Also a reminder to not reuse the old factory head bolts.Use arp 180-3601.

In regard to head gaskets it’s best to have them custom made by corteco or cometic.I have heard of one guy use the copper head gaskets with arp head studs with gasket sealer spray applied to the gaskets before assembly.That was way back in 2002 so I have no idea how well it’s held up.

I do know from my own personal experience with this engine is that I’ve never blown a head gasket on these if the 3736 gaskets are used,arp head bolts (180-3601) are in place and a 3 step torque sequence is followed.Go from 50,100 and then 140ft/lbs.

The victor reinz gasket in the part number listed above is made from some sort of graphite with a wide sealing bead wire around each cylinder.That’s why they were far superior to felpro.At least that’s what I think.

I contacted felpro about 15-18yrs ago about their 8716-PT1 and 8983 gaskets discussing with them the integrity of that gasket and they feel there is nothing wrong with them.If you take a new 8716-PT1 or 8983 gasket out of the wrapper and flip it over you can see how poorly crimped the circular wire bead is attached to the rest of the gasket.The side that faces up when you place it on the engine block looks decent but the back side in regard to that circular wire bead is not crimped at all to the rest of the gasket.

It definitely needs to be improved but felpro will never listen to customers like myself or others.A total waste of time talking with them especially when they feel the gasket is okay as is.

• Wow
Reactions: 82Kbody

·
Registered
398 Posts
WOAHHHH VERY COOL. I've been looking years for a 1979-81 C10 diesel to park next to my 1982 k10 6.2 diesel ;) Can't help much with the gaskets but Dieselolds already gave you the LAY Down on it.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,124 Posts
Custom made gaskets from cometic should do the trick.I used felpro head gaskets on one of my previous 5.7 engines I used to own along with arp head bolts and the gaskets didn’t last.Coolant leaked into the oil and eventually I lost cabin heat inside.

Felpro makes good head gaskets for other engines such as the 6.2/6.5 but they are useless for the 5.7 diesel.Even with arp head bolts in place the felpro gaskets don’t last.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Custom made gaskets from cometic should do the trick.I used felpro head gaskets on one of my previous 5.7 engines I used to own along with arp head bolts and the gaskets didn’t last.Coolant leaked into the oil and eventually I lost cabin heat inside.

Felpro makes good head gaskets for other engines such as the 6.2/6.5 but they are useless for the 5.7 diesel.Even with arp head bolts in place the felpro gaskets don’t last.
how do I go about getting custom Cometic gaskets made?

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,124 Posts
Reactions: OldsDiesel83

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,124 Posts
Looks great👍

Reactions: OldsDiesel83

·
Registered
398 Posts
i would be interested if you ever want to sell it, but back all stock. thanks and amazing survivor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts