Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought 2 brand new batteries (875CCA) for my 86 6.9L, and i bought 8 new glow plugs (delphi). it turns over but wont even fire let alone start
....the water needs to be drained too but i dont know how, i jsut got the truck for free and it didnt come with anything to help me (no manuals or anything, its an F-250 4x4) i also bought all new return injector lines cause they were leaking.

thanks, Jeff

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was talkin to a friend of mine and he told me to check the head gaskets for leaking, he said if they leak on a diesel, it wont fire (the only other thing i can think of is loss of compression)

·
Registered
124 Posts
The head gasket will not keep it from starting.

Do you get a wait to start light, indicating the glow plugs are working?

Next you can jumper a wire to the fuel slenoid from the battery if you don't think it is coming on.

If the filter is nasty change it, and it will take some time to bleed enough air out to get it started, if it sat a long time it may have air in the injection system.

On second thought, the truck is worthless, let me come take it off your hands.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the glow plug light does come on, but that doesnt mean their working. i probally do need to change the filter....and it may be up for sale soon (also, how do i get the air out of the injector lines?)

I've asked another forum...www.ford-trucks.com...they gave me some ideas, but told me to check with u guys =P

Thanks, Jeff

·
Registered
124 Posts
There is a bleeder valve on top of the filter housing, looks like a tire valve, take the cap off, while cranking engine over, push core in and hold until you get a steady stream of fuel.

If that is not enough lossen an injector line or two and crank engine until fuel is coming out.

Retighten and try to start.

If the glow plugs are working the voltmeter, if working will show very low, and if you sit and wait long enough like a minute it will come back up to normal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bled the fuel at the filter, that went fine....i bled it at the injectors and no fuel was comming out....no fuel is getting past the injector pump....i dont know y, could something be stuck inside? is there a bleeder valve/screw on it (and where abouts is it)?

thanks, Jeff

·
Registered
15 Posts
make sure the sol. on the injector pump is getting 12 volts. its the one at the top of the pump. you should also be getting fuel at the inlet of the injector pump. Pull off the line and see if you are pushing fuel out when you crank it. since this sounds like your first diesel when you put on an empty fuel filter you will have to crank it for a long time to work out the air. Do it in 30 second segments. always let the starter cool for 5 min then do another 30 sec. Make sure you have one injector line cracked open. this should eventually get your air out. Your glow plug light should be coming on. If its not your plugs are not getting energized. It will not start. Fix this problem first. There are prints on the net some where i have got them for people before.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts