Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Gasoline's for lawnmowers
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Dieselplace Vans!
I wanted to post a few pictures of my van, and ask a couple questions about some quirks I've noticed. First off, the van hauled dry cleaning in southern California all its life! When I received the van the check engine light (Code P0128) and low coolant light's were on. I had the thermostats and coolant (dex-cool) replaced and that cleared the check engine light. Van runs great, and has 264,000 original miles!

The low coolant light seems to have a mind of its own. Question 1: Is the low coolant light a common issue with these vans? The bottle is up to the proper level and I've cleaned the wiring connections.

I've noticed alot of old oil goo/sludge;etc under the coolant overflow bottle (not in the bottle), and on top of the fan shroud. Seems to have been blowing out of the passenger side intercooler rubber hose for some time. Question 2: Is this due to the PCV system or is the turbo tired maybe? Once Again the van runs great and doesn't smoke obnormally.

Question 3: When I turn the key to the "on" position I hear what sounds like a pump running under the passenger side dash. Any idea what it might be?

Lastly, I bought this van to use the drivetrain for my 1948 GMC COE Car Hauler Project. I'm using a '86 GM P30 Chassis and it will have a 19' Herrin Car hauler body mounted behind the cab! It's an ambitious project but I hope to have it completed by next summer. I want to make sure the drivetrain is good to go before I dismantle the van!

Now for the pictures!!

Oil/Sludge Build-up under Coolant Bottle

Oil/Sludge Build-up on top of Fan Shroud

Balance Rates

And a bonus picture of the 1948 GMC Cab that will be powered by this Duramax Drivetrain! P30 Chassis in the background.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Should make a nice project truck.
Vans use a lift pump so thats what you hear. The low coolant light is an issue I have had and am having again. The sensor in the over flow sucks and needs cleaning or replacement.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Coolant light is normal and random. I just deal with it.

Reactions: LCAC_Man

·
Registered
897 Posts
Welcome. Question 3 is lift pump, totally normal.
but he said the noise is under passenger side dash. isnt there a vacuum pump under the battery on passenger side?

the lift pump is under the drivers seat, underneath the van on frame rail.

·
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Echo'ing maybe?

So, selling off the shell after the engine is out?
I've had a few inquires on the shell. I have a friend of mine that has 8 of these in his fleet. He's expressed interest in the leftovers. It's going to be a few months before I tear into the van. I actually like driving it too much! :D

·
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
but he said the noise is under passenger side dash. isnt there a vacuum pump under the battery on passenger side?

the lift pump is under the drivers seat, underneath the van on frame rail.
After seeing your post I checked the passenger side battery. The mount for the battery is actually broken badly and the battery is laying against the core support. I priced a new battery tray and hold down. A whomping $17.00 at the dealer. I think I'll replace that and get the battery off the vacuum pump. :D

·
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Should make a nice project truck.
Vans use a lift pump so thats what you hear. The low coolant light is an issue I have had and am having again. The sensor in the over flow sucks and needs cleaning or replacement.
The vans have a lift pump and the trucks don't? Maybe GM should put the van's fuel system in the trucks. Might stop gelling in the winter time? I know I changed my share of gelled filters on the road when I had my truck.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
The vans have a lift pump and the trucks don't? Maybe GM should put the van's fuel system in the trucks. Might stop gelling in the winter time? I know I changed my share of gelled filters on the road when I had my truck.
I have changed them on the van on the side of the road as well. untreated fuel will do that.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
It is a prime pump that only runs for a set amount time at start up only.

·
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I changed the fuel filters today. There was a lot of gunk in the bottom of the 10 micron filter bowl. Not too bad of a job. I drained a total of 40oz of fuel when I changed them. I went ahead and repaired the broken front battery tray. Now I'm on my first full tank of fuel. I'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Hey congrats on the van purchase and I am very jealous of the COE project. That is something that I've wanted to do for a long time and am completely excited to see how that project goes for you. Nice move in buying a running drivetrain and swapping that into it! Looking forward to it.

·
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey congrats on the van purchase and I am very jealous of the COE project. That is something that I've wanted to do for a long time and am completely excited to see how that project goes for you. Nice move in buying a running drivetrain and swapping that into it! Looking forward to it.
Thanks! Buying a running/driving donor is the way to go! I looked at engine and trans swaps but if i cant hear it run its just an expensive core! I really like driving the van! I picked up a set of factory service manuals today so I can start researching the electrical and mechanicals for the swap.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts