Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally found a 2.5" cushioned reciever hitch today. Its a convert-a-ball and cost $65. I think my old 2" was $50. I tried finding one in '08 when I bought my pickup but they did not make them yet. Someone stole my 2" reciever last week in the walmart parking lot in broad daylight. I was pleasantly surprised when I went to buy a new one today. The 2.5" hitch has 2000 lb tongue weight and an 18,000 lb trailer weight limit. Now to find a locking pin so no one can take the new one....

Attachments

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got it at a local farm supply store. Maybe they charged me for a 2" hitch, I thought that seem cheap.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Do these cushioned ball mounts really make that much of a difference? I have never used one.

Also, how good/tight is the fit in the reciever? Both of my 2.5" Reese ball mounts have a lot of slop in them. I can wiggle them up/down and left/right and notice it when towing.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do these cushioned ball mounts really make that much of a difference? I have never used one.

Also, how good/tight is the fit in the reciever? Both of my 2.5" Reese ball mounts have a lot of slop in them. I can wiggle them up/down and left/right and notice it when towing.
It depends in what you are pulling but in general, I can tell a difference. The main reason I buy them is for pulling anhydrous tanks. If you are not familiar with what those are, they are basically a 4 wheel wagon, no tongue weight whatsoever and they weigh around 7500 lbs loaded. We can legally pull 2 at a time and they are very jerky. Depending on how good of shape they are, you can only pull them 35 -40 mph.

There is still a little slop in the receiver. Its better then having to use the sleeve and a 2" receiver, though.

·
Registered
286 Posts
if your getting a locking pin i would recommend getting a standard pin also. Ive dealt with 2 styles of locking pins and they both can be a bear in winter time if the salt and road grime gets in them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts