Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1993 1 ton is dying

These are the symtoms

Hard Starting in cold weather, Smokes light blue and shakes and rattles for about 5 minutes before it smoothens out.

If the truck is not properly warmed up It will belch light blue smoke for about 2 miles

Serious lack of power, Will not tow trailers anymore If I do there is some black smoke and overheating issues. Any distance it is out of the Question.

4x4 transfer case also ocasionaly kicks out of 4x4 and back into 2wd

Syncro's in 5 speed are no more and it is hard to shift gears.

This is a well used truck. I am considering parking it in the bone yard. and not droping a nickle into it.

This was our best truck The motor, fuel pump, is completly original and have never replaced anything but the number 6 piston. Transfercase, Clutches, Rearend, etc have all beenreplaced at 1 time or an other.

I have a The original pick up box for the truck instorage and thought mayby it would make a cheap runaroud truck if I swaped the flat deck.

I don't want to spend a lot on this, and mayby it is not worth the effort. I am thinking new Injectors.

Any Thoughts?

·
Registered
538 Posts
hey tasco. Wow, you got some pretty good distance out of that 93'. May not be dead yet. Sounds like some common fixable symptoms. First thing is to check out some of the FAQ's here on the site. Many good explanations in there. Some of my random thoughts:

Hard cold start could be glow plugs but if you say it takes 5 min to clear up could be something else. Check your glows first--explanation is kicking around on the FAQ's. My guess is otherwise though. What happens if you let it run and sputter for 30sec and then shut it off and restart?

Power and black smoke--leads me to believe turbo not up to par. Is yours vacuum operated (wastegate). Could just be a simple wastegate solenoid.

Transfer case has an electric heat element that activates 4x4 system or at least thats how i interpreted that. I forget who was talking about that. Maybe they'll chime in.

Hope this gives you a bearing. Someone with a bit more experience than I will probably chime in.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Glows good start. How old are the injectors? Original? Dirty air filter/plugged up cat might be holding you back. These are some of the "cheaper" checks without having to throw serious money at this thing. Might not be ready for the bone yard just yet.

·
Super Moderator
5,988 Posts
Blue smoke is tell tale of injection pump problems, probably the advance piston is worn throwing timing way off. Get your pump rebuilt! 93's were good engines, I just did head gaskets in a 93 several months ago and at 200k it still had honing marks on the cyl walls. Heads had cracks between the valves, but didn't appear to be leaking, so we ran it. No bubbles and ran like a top.
Sycros on the nvg 4500 are a pretty easy fix, these tranny's come apart fairly easy.
Injectors are the last thing I address, these engines aren't duramaxes):h the injectors will normally run for a very long time.:eek:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts