Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok first off the trucks back ground

02 GMC Crew cab short bed SLT. Mods are 4in Dynomax exhaust with Bassani tip, AFE Magnum Force Stage 2 Air Kit, Autometer gauges, Pyro mounted pre turbo and boost gauge. 5th gear lock out wired, high idle wired, The accel pedal has some springs removed to make it a quickie pedal, I have used Van Akken boxes and tried a Duramaxamizer. The truck has had 3 turbo's on it to date seems as though you need the wastegate plugged in but that is another discussion.

Ok my background, Ford Chassis Master Technician also Diesel Certified Ford Technician. I have been tinkering with diesels for quite a while. I had a 00 F-250 used TS Performance Products. Which were very nice quality and Dennis gave me all of the power I could ever want. I switched to GM because I wanted a new truck the Ford needed another trans and GM had 0% financing.

ok first review,

Predator: version 1.04, 40 tow, 60 regular, 85 performance, 100 High performance.

First things off Predator is very nice develops great power and great fuel mileage and the scan tool capabilities KICK A$$!!!!!

First Impression went to pick this up from Mac at truck stop late one evening. we uploaded the 100HP setting cuz thats the kind of guy I am. well out of the parking lot onto the street I hit it and the trans was shifting very eratic but I figured it needed learn time so were headed for home. A quick stop light burst against a Honda produced a very scary ride the truck pulled extremely hard but a glance at the Pyro made me let off in a hurry 1550 degree's and still gaining temp. Got home decided to play with it some more. well initial impressions on the 100HP setting was EGT are way to hot for my liking's but remember it is a higher hp setting. but there is a beauty of this setting I will get to. 85 Hp setting still runs a tad hot would hit 1400 on long wide open pulls. to be honest I didnt use this setting much. 60HP setting, Now I liked this Very smooth. Trans would shift perfect the truck didn't fishbite like it did a few times on the 100HP setting. All in all I used this setting alot of the time the egt's were manageable 1250 max on long pulls. great at altitude was still a little hot pulling the grades on I-70 West out of Denver headed to Idaho Springs. EGT in the altitude is a BIG factor considering i am moving to Fort Collins CO. in less than a month. I did alot of Altitude testing with the Predator I bet I changed the programs 4 or 5 times a day when I was site seeing through Rockey Mountain National Park. the 60HP setting was great. The 40HP setting i Tried in the altitude the EGT's were close to stock in fact I could tell a very slight difference between stock and the 40HP setting. the EGT's were about 1100. The very nice things about the Pedator was its scan tool capabilities. I spent 3 or 4 hours of my drive across western KS to Denver from KC playing with the scan tool watching everything from MAF to Injector pulse width to Intake air temp and comparing it too the temp on the rear view mirror and at 85MPH the intake air temp is usually 2 degrees hotter than the outside temp. the Other beauty was fuel mileage on the 100HP setting. Now I drive a tad over the speed limit I ran 83MPh from KC pretty much to Denver. I averaged 19.97MPG on the way out and got 19.82 on the way home. now I thought alot about it and decided if I ran 70 the whole way I could get well over 20MPG. EGT's at cruise were between 700 and 850 on normal hills. The 100 HP setting yeilded great fuel mileage and smokes a little and smokes alot at altitude.
Diablo Predator offers Best BANG FOR THE BUCK. You have a great tuner which now I wish i had their new programs that they redid and are to be better as far as EGT goes. and if you are a information HOUND the Predator by far with its scan tool capabilities can't be beat.

QuadZilla Stealth Tuner 70, 90, 1

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Thanks for your perspective on the same two programmers that I did a long write up on. Only difference was I had the beta 120+ for the Predator.

One thing I would like to add, So far James (runningwiththedevil) has went out of his way to help me every time I have ask something of him. He has e-mailed me a dozen or more times. He has top notch service!

The jury is still out for Quad, due to the fact I do not have much communication time with them. Time will tell.

And for those thinking about buying one of these boxes, they are both very good, they both can limp the stock Allison, and do not be too worried about the heat. Because until you hit 90+ mph or run really hard the temperature is not much of an issue. Normal driving the temperature stays in the safe range.

I have never hit 1000* with the Predator set at 100hp or 120+ hp under normal driving. But then again you can hit 1600* or more if and when you hammer it. I have seen 1610* once, and 1500* + many times. So far 1380`s is the highest the Stealth 135hp has produced. Normal driving the two are within 50* of each other.

I am glad to see you are getting good mileage with these boxe. Becasue I for one am not! The best I can get with the highest settings is about 18.4-19 mpg and that is treating it like a virgin, and babing it to the max. Driving it like it was ment to be I could get the mileage down in the 15`s most likely.Edited by: hdmax

·
Registered
772 Posts
Greg,

Sorry to wonder off topic a tad, but I noticed that you have the Dynomax exhaust system. How do you like it. I had a Dynomax setup on my old 4Runner and thought it was very good. Their Duramax system is very reasonably priced. Just curious.

TC

·
Registered
340 Posts
Both of you have done a great job on comparing!
Thanks!

I have a quad 135hp on the way. Cant wait for it!!! I only have 3000 miles on my truck, is that too early to be using the 135hp setting? Anything to be aware of? Any word of caution? I sure hope that I get that kinda mpg!! Ive been wondering if something is wrong with my truck. Im usually getting 13-15. Maybe 16 on the highway if Im going 70. But seriously, who wants to go that slow. Any sugestions? Heard some people talk about going to the dealer and getting re-programmed. Would that help?

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Dynomax exhaust is nice the kit doesnt come with the pipe that goes from the v clamp to the 4 bolt flange that costs extra $125 so its ends up being about the cost of most systems with out the shipping. It droans at highway speeds pretty bad. The fit was excellent. it took me just over 40 minutes to install but I have access to a lift and air tools took me 1.5 hours to get the exhaust tip mounted up because its so big. 6 inch tip requires some modifying. I used the Dynomax for the simple fact the local parts warehouse had it in stock drove a few miles and picked it up.

now thanks to BYBYCOP... for showing those 18X9 Helo MAXX wheels and Nitto Terra Grappler's
on his site. Now I want wheel's and tires.......I need a trans.

Greg

·
Registered
133 Posts
greg

know where i can get a va non pressure box..like the ones tomacs running ???? nice pullin at shieds....is it a sercret on what your running to make your down pipe glow orange? i just want to make sure i dont get my truck that hot.......but it looks neat..and i guess heats hp..

Edited by: SmokinMax

·
Registered
494 Posts
SmokinMax I'm not Greg but I'm the one with the glowing downpipe. I just had the inner fender out and I'm pretty sure there would be several others glowing if you could see them. I have 3 of the boxes like Tomac is running but I believe I can't get anymore. I'll check and find out.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Thanks for the compliment! Ive been really happy with the package! Very smooth yet still can handle a heavy load.

Whats this about a glowing down pipe? Where can I see some pics?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I think the glowing downpipe is way COOL!!! (with the pryo pegged!!!)

More HEAT more POWER more FUN!!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
CpMac le tme know if oyu can or if you would ever get rid of one.....i need something to make huge dyno number here at home oct.4 ...want at least 500...thanks ...i talked to one of you guys on the drag strip about t-bars which one was that?....ever come up with a price?....let me know ...im with you all the way on the turbo ...although no means to build one myself...so when any one does just call me and ill send you the money for it no matter what it cost....

·
Registered
185 Posts
SmokinMax

I think I was the one you talked too at Schieds. As for the T-Bars, We would be glad to Custom Make you some. Need to know your Cab-style and wheel base. Web Page comming soon!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hey hey hey mine are first.... 153in wheelbase i think.... Ron how's my truck runnin

GregEdited by: Greg's DMAX1320

1 - 12 of 12 Posts