Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 2005 2500HD and have had it since day one. Currently I have 128,000 miles on it and yesterday while driving it completely died on me. Scanned codes are P0201-P0208, P2149, P2146 and P1293, So 11 codes total. Sometimes it will start and sound fine then all of a sudden sounds like an old tractor and dies. So basically all injectors, both A and B banks supply voltage and then whatever P1293 means. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Vendor
9,667 Posts
Hey guys, I have a 2005 2500HD and have had it since day one. Currently I have 128,000 miles on it and yesterday while driving it completely died on me. Scanned codes are P0201-P0208, P2149, P2146 and P1293, So 11 codes total. Sometimes it will start and sound fine then all of a sudden sounds like an old tractor and dies. So basically all injectors, both A and B banks supply voltage and then whatever P1293 means. Any help would be appreciated.

Knowing the history of the LLY the first thing I would be looking at is the engine harness particularly near the FICM and alternator.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did separate all the wires from each other and no signs of chaffing between the ficm and where it crosses over the engine. Cleared the codes and tried again. All 11 codes came back. I also checked wires going to injectors.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Did you check for rubbing against the back of the alternator?

09-06-04-034: Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Illuminated, Fuel Injector Driver Cir

#09-06-04-034: Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Illuminated, Fuel Injector Driver Circuit DTCs and Cylinder Bank Shut Down DTCs, Reduced Engine Power (Repair Fuel Injector Control Module (FICM) Harness Chafed Wires) - (Aug 17, 2009)
Subject: Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Illuminated, Fuel Injector Driver Circuit DTCs P0201, P0202, P0203, P0204, P0205, P0206, P0207, P0208 and Cylinder Bank Shut Down DTCs P2146 or P2149, Reduced Engine Power (Repair Fuel Injector Control Module (FICM) Harness Chafed Wires)

Models: 2001-2004 Chevrolet Kodiak C4500/C5500 Series, Silverado Models
2001-2004 GMC Sierra Models, TopKick C4500/C5500 Series
Equipped with Duramax™ Diesel Engine RPO LB7
2004-2005 Chevrolet Kodiak, Silverado Models
2004-2005 GMC Sierra Models, TopKick
Equipped with Duramax Diesel Engine RPO LLY
Please Refer to GMVIS
Condition
Some customers may comment that the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) is illuminated or intermittent and there is a significant reduction in engine power (limp home mode).
The scan tool may display one or more Injector Driver Circuit DTCs P0201, P0202, P0203, P0204, P0205, P0206, P0207 or P0208 and/or Cylinder Bank Shut Down DTCs P2146 or P2149 set as Current or in History.
Cause

This condition may be caused by the fuel injector control module (FICM) wiring harness protective conduit rubbing against the back of the alternator, the alternator bracket or the FICM harness retaining bracket. This may result in the conduit rubbing through, exposing the wires inside and chafing of the wire insulation then occurs.
Correction

Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Observe the DTC information with the scan tool.
If any of the above DTCs are set, then proceed to inspect the FICM wiring harness at the locations outlined in the following steps.
Turn OFF the ignition and all accessories and allow the control modules to power down.Note: For Silverado and Sierra models only perform Step 5.
Remove the air cleaner outlet duct. Refer to Air Cleaner Outlet Duct Replacement in SI.

Important: DO NOT break off the tab on the electrical connectors.
Disconnect the FICM electrical connectors (2) from the FICM (1).

Carefully bend up and backwards the FICM wiring harness electrical connectors (1) away from the FICM (4).

Note: Some of these chafes are very small, possibly the size of a pen tip, but could still cause injector circuit concerns.
Inspect the wiring harness for chafing (3) that may result from rubbing at the back of the alternator (2), the alternator bracket or at the FICM harness retaining bracket.If necessary, peel the tape from the area and look for ANY chafes into the wires.
⇒ If chafing is observed and the conductive portion of the wire IS NOT damaged, apply electrical tape around the wire.

⇒ If chafing is observed and the conductive portion of the wire IS damaged, then refer to Splicing Copper Wire Using Splice Sleeves in Wiring Repairs in SI.

⇒ If chafing IS NOT OBSERVED , then refer to the appropriate DTC Diagnostic procedures in SI.
Connect the electrical connectors to the FICM.
Insulate the harness with suitable material such as conduit or heater hose to prevent a reoccurrence.Note: For Silverado and Sierra models only perform Step 11.
Install the air cleaner outlet duct. Refer to Air Cleaner Outlet Duct Replacement in SI.
Clear the DTCs with a scan tool.

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:
Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time
N6606
Wiring and/or Connector-Fuel System - Repair or Replace
Use Published Labor Operation Time
J5020*
Duct And / Or Hose, Outside Air - Replace
Use Published Labor Operation Time
*Add for GMC Sierra or Chevrolet Silverado only.
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

·
Vendor
9,667 Posts
I did separate all the wires from each other and no signs of chaffing between the ficm and where it crosses over the engine. Cleared the codes and tried again. All 11 codes came back. I also checked wires going to injectors.

Just going to throw this out there. It is VERY rare in my experience for the actual FICM to go bad, but if yours is please be sure to let us know.

A good friend is a distributor and at pone time he said he was selling 6 a month on the LLY FICM. I have to wonder if they were not misdiagnosis though as they are not returnable. The FICM has now become obsolete by Bosch so if you do try one check a salvage yard. Most yards should be up to their eyeballs in them so they should be cheap.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am going to go through it all again today, the code I am worried about is the P1293, not exactly sure what it means besides all the different suggestions on the web. My fuel gauge will also read empty until I clear the codes and that is with a half tank of fuel.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sent the FICM in for a bench test, we will see how that goes

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had something similar happen while pulling a 5th wheel. Turned out to be #8 injector plug, vibration had caused the wire to break inside the insulation. I would pull the connector off and reinstall it, it would run fine for a while, then about 10-15 miles down the road it would lose power and sound like a tractor. Luckily, I always carry a spare injector plug. Replaced the plug and everything was good. If one connector breaks, it will shut down the entire bank and rattle like a 12 valve Cummins....

·
Registered
44 Posts
You always read that it sounds like a tractor when an entire bank goes out......then when it actually happens, you're like "Holy sh1t! It sounds like a tractor!"

Mine did this while cruising at 120km/h. Went full tractor mode haha.

Re-ice picked #2 injector and was on my way. Luckily it wasn't #8 or something.....what a PITA.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just heard back, they had to rebuild the FICM and are shipping it back. I guess we will see when I reinstall it.

·
Administrator Mister, your truck's smoking...
11,395 Posts
Reinstalled and running, 150$ well spent.
That's good news - glad you got it sorted out! Where, BTW, did you send it to have it bench tested? Might be worth letting others know...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
This *exact* scenario happened to me yesterday. I realize you had yours fixed, but am I to assume that one out of a junked truck would need to be flashed by a dealer similar to a PCM?

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
but am I to assume that one out of a junked truck would need to be flashed by a dealer similar to a PCM?
A FICM from a truck will drop in and run no problem, If you order new from GM it will need to be flashed.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Did some checking, found loom broken and a nick in a blue+white wire running down next to what looks like an IAC. Wrapped it up, drove it for an hour and thought it was good, but just as I'm pulling into the drive it throws a fit again. It threw 11 codes again (see attached), fuel gauge went to zero and low fuel like came on.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
A FICM from a truck will drop in and run no problem, If you order new from GM it will need to be flashed.
No flash required for 2005 LLY new FICM from dealer.

It's plug and play.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Where is the ground for the ficm/harness I saw someone mention? Also, what are the odds it's the harness and not a bad ficm?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 42 Posts