Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 LLY with 16,000. After installing a tts 4inch cat back, and driving around for a week i wanted to have more noise, so i removed the muffler and installed a 4inch piece of pipe. I noticed that my engine temp in 30-45 Degree weather is going up to 196-210 with no load and its staying there. Even just driving around town it is staying there, where before it wouldn't go above like 170-180. Im concerned that when it starts to get hot out or im pulling a load its going to over heat. What would cause this to start after removing the muffler. Thanks for any help

·
Registered
241 Posts
i cant think of anything.....if anything, it should reduce your EGT's, in return lowering your engine temp. i never heard of this before.....

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
I have a 2006 LLY with 16,000. After installing a tts 4inch cat back, and driving around for a week i wanted to have more noise, so i removed the muffler and installed a 4inch piece of pipe. I noticed that my engine temp in 30-45 Degree weather is going up to 196-210 with no load and its staying there. Even just driving around town it is staying there, where before it wouldn't go above like 170-180. Im concerned that when it starts to get hot out or im pulling a load its going to over heat. What would cause this to start after removing the muffler. Thanks for any help
where are you seeing this temp from? the factory gauge?.. 195 is right about operating temp actually, but that factory gauge may read higher.

On my Edge it will read 180 while the factory guage reads 210...digital versus mechanical.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea im just going off of the factory gauge. Will it always stay around 195-210 even when its like 30-45 out?

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
the thing is, you never know what it is at. I can tell you this.. here in Austin last week it was 30 degrees. When I started my truck the factory gauge said 180 and my Edge said 32... there are some things the stock mechanical guages are perfect for, temperature isn't one of them. Boost is good for mechanical ones.

Just keep an eye on it though, if you feel its running higher than normal then I'd have it checked out just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well thanks a lot for your help briano. I feel better knowing that the factory gauge isnt always rite. Ill keep an eye on it thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.