Diesel Place banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to remove the stock muffler and replace it with a high flow, but have read many threads that lots of guys are replacing it with a straight pipe. Most say that the sound was not loud. With the cat in place how loud is it compared to the stock muffler. I know that there is very little sound coming from the tail pipe stock compared to a 2003 with no cat. The difference is you can hear the turbo in the 03 but my 05 with the cat is super quiet.
I don't mind a mild rumble but don't want it loud and offensive. A turbo back will be fairly loud which is not for me.
I use the truck mostly for towing and if it is not heard in the cab that would be great. Windows open is OK when you have a great sound.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I love the sound of mine straight-piped, but it is a bit loud!! I can't answer as far as a cat installed 'cause my kitty ran away:ro)

If you don't want it loud, you might want to stick is a muffler.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will keep the kitty due to regulations here, but need to distroy the stock muffler.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I pulled my muffler and aside from the hissng at idle it has a SMALL rumble when you first touch accelerator and the engine takes over and you can't even hear it. Barely louder than stock.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I pulled only my muffler before removing the cat. Drove around for about 2 months with cat/no muffler. You'll get a small amount of noise with only the muffler gone, but I really don't think it was that much different. Actually I was amazed it wasn't louder for the size of the muffler that came off!

I'll put it this way. There is a much bigger sound increase by removing the cat vs. muffler IMO.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.