Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, this is a new post about the same topic - but a different brand/option. With the Kaydenco and Street Scene that I was previously considering, it appears that the flaps need to be at a minimum of 6" off the ground, and probably higher. I really don't see how this will keep the mud and rocks off the front of my travel trailer.

Cabela's sells Action Removable Flaps that appear to mount just a little off the ground. Since the mounting bracket is below the fender, this appears to be a good option for really stopping the crud from getting to the trailer. In other words, these appear to be soft flaps the ride low. Plus, they can be removed when not towing (and aren't quite as ugly as the RoadWing - sorry!).

Anyone used these!

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Just a note, the Kaydenco flaps can be ordered to taste ... just call Dennis and tell him what you want if you decide to go with them.

·
Registered
430 Posts
When towing out travel trailer, I use an additional set of larg mud flaps that attaches to my 2" receiver to protect the trailer. The mud flaps come off again when I disconnect the trailer. I made mine, but you can buy them through Camping World and other RV stores.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I spoke to Dennis earlier today. He was very helpful. Unfortunatley, to make sure the flaps don't get ripped off when parking, he recommended at least 6" of ground clearance. I'm concerned that may be too much. With the Action Accessories, it appears that these flaps (like hitch mounted units) mount closer to the ground and are more flexible. Since they can be removed, there isn't as much concern about ripping them off. I can't get any details on those flaps however (size, etc).

I measured my truck today and for 6" of clearance and a flap that goes up to the trim line on the fender whell, I'd need a 30" tall flap. That sure does sound tall to me, especially when the one for lifted trucks (which mine isn't) is 27". With the extra ground clearance, I expect it would protect the truck but not the travel trailer.

Thanks for the info!

----

Just found out that most states require a 6" or 7" clearance anyway. So, I guess 6" at the hitch (e.g. RoadWing) is better than 6" at the wheel. I guess that limits my options.Edited by: tundracamper

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I went the cheap way and cut a std 24" x 30" truck flap and bolted it to the wheel well using the flare mounting holes. The flaps hung 5" off the ground and no road slime got on the sides or snow up under the rear bumper. Last week I was fooling around and backed into a pile of crusty snow and ripped one off. Since adding 315's the originals weren't quite wide enough so I bought two and will cut them wider. I do plan on hanging them 6" to 7" off the ground this time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts