Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into a set of front and rear mud flaps. Nothing big just to help keep the rock chips down. I currently have a set of westin tube steps witch are helping somewhat but the rear is getting eaten up as well.

thanks in advance.

cmc

·
Registered
73 Posts
How good are the Westin tubes helping with the rock chips? Do you have the ovals? I have a new 2500HD ordered. Trying to figure out what's best to keep rock chips down. I live on a gravel road and in Minnesota we have plenty of salt put on the roads. Don't want to drill holes in the truck if I don't have to.

I plan on putting Duraflaps on front and rear when the truck finally gets here. I've read good things about them on this site.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Norm

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I've got running boards for mine since the Dooleys will really eat up the front of the rear fenders without them, but I ordered the Duraflaps for the rear. They came Friday and look like a nice setup. There are various ways to go, but the Duraflap (Kaydenco) seems to have gotten some pretty good reviews around here.

If you call with questions and talk to Dennis, he seems really knowledgeable and willing to help.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I have running boards and Duraflaps and have solved my chipping/sandblasting issues...finally. The Duraflaps are top-notch mud flaps.

I'm working with Dennis (Owner of Duraflaps) on a prototype rear inner fenderwell cover made out of the same material as the Duraflaps that will fit in the forward area of the fender wheel. He may end up also offering a shield for the the rear of the fender well also but if you have Duraflap mudflaps they do the job.

http://dieselplace.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=208&PN=1&TPN=1

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They do OK but not well enough. The rear gets eaten alive by rocks. Worse with my 285 BFG A/T's. The front still gets chipped up right behind the wheel but the steps do help toward the back. Just got back from deer hunting today and it's just nasty to drive down the dirt roads and hear all the rocks hitting the truck. Ouch eeeehhh, clank, clunk... bang... Not good.

The under side of my Westins are pitted pretty good as I took the steps off my 02 when I traded it in for my 04. I love how easy of an install it is. About half an hour in the driveway. Best to have a helper to hold up one end. I just lay it on my belly when I'm on the creeper and roll in and hold up the far end with me feet. Looks clumsy but it works. Also my black ones were only $170 out the door.

cmc

·
Registered
74 Posts
I hate mudflaps but with all of the posts about chipped paint on the new Chevy's I felt mudflaps were mandatory if I wanted to keep the paint on my new 04 2500HD.

I tend to do a lot of research and asking questions before I buy anything. In the end I purchased a set of Duraflaps and put them on yesterday.

Was not sure exactly which model to use so I talked to Dennis at Duraflap. He recommended going wiht the #2SS in the front and the #2SSX in the rear and that is what I bought. I am running a completly stock truck with the GM chrome tublar steps. The Truck is Charcoal Metallic.

They flaps are very well made and look great on the truck. The SS trim goes very well with the tublar chrome steps. Dennis and his wife Nina are great folks, always willing to answer any of your questions.

They took a little time to put them on but it was not very hard. I took my time to make sure the flaps were centered on the tires and were level and plumb. If you don't have an angle drill you will most likely have to take the rear tires off, otherwise to problems. I mounted the fronts 7 1/2" from the ground and the rear 9".

If you decide to order Duraflaps tell Dennis you got word of them on The Diesel Place Forum, he is giving a 10% discount for members of the Forum because of the word-of-mouth advertising. IMHO you can't go wrong with Duraflaps.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I have husky moldeds, SteelHorse nerfs but more importantly, I applied a clear 3M/Scotch type film on the rocker panels and fender behind the rears. Got it from Cabela's, 12'L X 6" wide for $20 a spell back.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have the duraflaps front and rear. They seem to have stopped my problems with chips. They also appear to be a quality product. I am running the GM tube steps also and the duraflaps look good with the steps.The duraflaps are a little "pricey" but in the end, as with most things, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Are the duraflaps the ones that mount to the frame instead of drilling the fenderwells/flares? I have the husky's, but I am not sure they are giving me enough protection and I hate drilling more holes.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
The duraflaps mount to the fender wheel ... I used all existing holes and only had to drill 1 new hole. I chose the extra hole over chipped rockers.
My husky's are now in the local landfill.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks for the info. Still don't know what I'm going to put on for steps-boards or bars.

Shumdit: How is that clear film stuff working out? Does it stay on decent?

Just found out today that my order's been pulled. Dealer says I should now within the week about when the new truck is going to be built.

Norm

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Well the current fad is bars, I got some looks when I went hunting for boards, but they're the only way to go for a Dooley.

While I was looking at the different manufacturers for running boards, I went to the DeeZee site.

http://www.deezee.com

They've got a new polished stainless board with black tread areas on top called the Elite. They also make an extruded aluminum board which I had on the last truck, and they still make diamond plate boards.

The diamond plate boards are hard to keep looking decent when the aluminum starts to oxidize. The extruded boards were okay, but I liked the polished look of the stainless. The stainless boards for my truck were about $250.00 more than the extruded, but they've got a new mounting system that's shown on DeeZee's site as well. Not sure if the extruded and diamond plate boards are the same.

They should give you more protection for the rocker panels than flaps and with boards you won't need front flaps which offsets the cost a little. I'll combine the boards with the polished stainless weight DuraFlaps on the rear and I think it'll look great while protecting the truck body and anything I tow from the rock chip monster.

In the end, it boils down to what you like and what fits the budget at the time, so look around and check as many manufacturer's sites as you can find.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Zeeb,

Thanks for the information on the DEEZEE. The new bracket system looks a lot better than drilling extra holes. I can't get into the web site to find out how many $'s I'm looking at.

Norm

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Norm,

That's because they don't list pricing on the web site....

Very kind of them huh? You'll need to locate a dealer. I talked to several of them about the boards and getting them installed since it's cold here and I don't have access to a heated shop area anymore.

There was quite a bit of difference between the dealers on the installed price, so check around. I still think I paid too much since none of them knew about the new mounting system. Neither did I when I was looking. All I knew was the last time I did it, you had to drill the frame and it was a long project.

My Elite boards are costing me $800.00 installed. The cheapest price I got was for $730.00, but went with the higher price due to installers reputation and he's getting the bed cap rails, mat and stainless tailgate protector for me as well as installing Dennis's flaps.

The extruded boards were about $200.00 to $250.00 less than the polished stainless. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Zeeb,

Thanks for the info. It really helps me out.

Norm

·
Registered
106 Posts
Shark Bait,

Do you have any pics of the truck w/the flaps?? I have the same exact truck and am thinking of going with the duraflaps (even though they seem a bit pricy!!
)

I'm thinking of going for the ones without the stainless to save some $$, but may spend the extra $$ if they look real good!

Thanks!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I installed Huskey molded flaps 30K+ miles ago and they've done well by me. I drive a lot of dirt/gravel roads with minimal chiping. The Westin CPS nerf bars were an easy install and still look like new. My wife can enter/exit the truck in a short skirt and keep her dignity.
Running boards tend to gather and hold onto snow and slush more than bars, but may not be an issue for you in AZ.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts