Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The DIC says my MPG are 13.0. I have not hand calculated it yet. What does your guys DIC say about your MPG's. I think 13.0 is kinda low if you ask me. Thanks

·
Registered
64 Posts
Mine currently says around 14.6, mostly city driving. It also says i get around 19-20 with highway only.

·
Registered
31 Posts
16.0 mpg with a 125mile commute / day.. mostly 55mph or better. oh, running 35's so its 16 on the DIC. 18+ I Figure if it were calculated.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Mine says around 18-22

i get usually about 18.5 in town and the most on highway was 24.6

i'm not complaining.. I was really happy when i saw it for the first time..

-Colin

·
Registered
193 Posts
it all depends on what mods you have and the miles you get per tank. 23 gallons usually fills it up from empty so do the math. 400miles is around 18mpg.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Lead foot

Your foot must be moving the throttle to the beat of the music out of the XM radio. To get good mileage, you need to do a couple of things.
a. Get into top gear and stay there.
b. Set your cruise control at 2000 rpms.
c. Keep your cruise control set.
d. Keep your cruise on, which keeps speed at 65 mph.
d. Keep your stock tires on.
e. Keep your tire pressure at 65-80 psi.

The last thing is to keep your cruise control on and your foot off of the throttle. Oh did I say that already??

To check your mileage, fill your tank until you see the diesel level, not the foam but the liquid, at the top of the tank. This takes some time to do, as it foams up and shuts off the pump, but keep doing it until you have it at the top.

Drive it on the freeway as listed above for a long time.

Pull into a diesel station, fill it again to the top. Do the math.

Now that is the best you will get. Towing will cut it by 41%.

Speed is inversely proportional to mileage.

Fast starts are inversely proportional to mileage.

Driving in town keeps it in 3rd & 4th gear, and is like towing, expect a 41%-43% drop in mileage.

Now, I admit that I have the smaller version, ie not a dually, but I just did the above on my 2500, drove 270 miles from Leonardtown, MD to Virginia Tech in Blacksburg VA, and then returned home. I put 540 miles on it over the weekend, and 10 miles yesterday for 550 miles without adding fuel.

The fuel gauge is still above 1/4 tank, and I will get over 600 miles on this tank of diesel. If I went down and filled it right now, it would probably take 28 gallons, but that's a guess. 550miles/28g is 19.6 mpg. My DIC says I got 22.9 mpg. I think it is close, but on high side

·
Registered
6,578 Posts
X2, the magic number is 2000 rpm's, and quit having fun with the right foot, that is if you want the MPG to go up.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I dont really have a heavy foot. How do I hand calculate my fuel mileage?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Went on a 200 mile trip saturday and my DIC said 20.5 with 9.7 gallons used I filled the tank till it puked a bit and it was at 9.4 so just a little over 21.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I fill my truck up so that i can s ee fuel in the tank, my DIC says i can go 450 miles til empty. I dont really have heavy foot.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
nhraracer90;1609418; said:
I dont really have a heavy foot. How do I hand calculate my fuel mileage?
miles per gallon reset trip odometer, fill truck up, drive as long as you want (preferably in the interstate). fill truck up again and then take the miles and divide them by the gallons. that is miles per gallon....

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
over all hand calc. i get 18.6 hi-way and in town driving,i use my truck for work so i do this every tank full,and i have to do it for tax purposes also.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Update on fuel 20.25 actual

alleghenyrose;1607276; said:
Now, I admit that I have the smaller version, ie not a dually, but I just did the above on my 2500, drove 270 miles from Leonardtown, MD to Virginia Tech in Blacksburg VA, and then returned home. I put 540 miles on it over the weekend, and 10 miles yesterday for 550 miles without adding fuel.

The fuel gauge is still above 1/4 tank, and I will get over 600 miles on this tank of diesel. If I went down and filled it right now, it would probably take 28 gallons, but that's a guess. 550miles/28g is 19.6 mpg. My DIC says I got 22.9 mpg. I think it is close, but on high side
Just filled up my tank with 612 miles on the one tank. It took 30.22 gallons to the top, which works out to 20.25 mpg. The DIC said I used only 25.9 gallons and got 23.6 mpg. So miny DIC is too high by about 3 mpg.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
When I am crusing on the freeway my instand MPG says 26-30 MPG. But when I got to the station and calculate it out, I get about 16. I also have a led foot. The computer is not accurate unless you are stock.

Bentley

·
Registered
6,578 Posts
Alleghenyrose,

No man ever says his DIC is to high!

I couldn't resist...........

·
Registered
22 Posts
Me Too

Hi to everyone~ This is my first post

I recently bought my truck 2/2/07 :p: and just recently found out that I have been on #3 on by Edge. The 35's are at 40psi for a smmmooootthhhh ride. The PPE is turned off until I get my guages(I am thinkin' Autometer) which reminds me.....has anyone heard if the stock in dash Transmission Temp gauge is reliable. I was told in passing by a buddy that I should get the aftermarket. ????? :help2:

Anyway, on #3 and low tire pressure I got 13 mpg....... I am currently just above a half a tank and the trip gauge is at 202 miles. The Edge is set on #1 and the tires are at 40 psi..... ANXIOUS TO SEE THE END RESULT ;)

Also, keep in mind that small beds have a 25 gal. tank and the long beds are 32 or 38 gal. , I think...... Truck on..... Proud to me American!! :saluteusa:

I look forward to all the info. to-be gottin :driver:
-------------------------------------------------------------------

2002 GMC Duramax 6.6L (LB7)w/ Allison,Stacked Chips(edge + duramizer):eek: ,6" RCB lift,35's,CC,SB,Leather,DVD,Alpine,Spray-in bedliner,illuminated sun visor. YAYAYAYAYA!!!!!:D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.