Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently lifted the truck and am running 35 inch tires. Was just wondering if it would be worth it to look into some parts falling off the truck to gain a few MPG? I was getting around 20 when running stock and now with the lift and tires getting around 15/16.

I'm not looking for big power gains just better mpg.

Trucks a 2014 2500 4x4

thanks

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
I recently lifted the truck and am running 35 inch tires. Was just wondering if it would be worth it to look into some parts falling off the truck to gain a few MPG? I was getting around 20 when running stock and now with the lift and tires getting around 15/16.

Trucks a 2014 2500 4x4

thanks
Welcome to the forum!

With these trucks, it's not the weight that kills MPG near as much as the profile. The wind resistance (drag) kills MPG. As the speed goes up, the drag goes up exponentially. So the best thing that you can do for MPG is to lower your profile (pretty impossible and a lift increases it) and the second is to lighten your right foot - keep the speed down. That's about it. Weight is a much smaller factor of MPG with these very capable powerhouses. One of the reasons a dually can get better MPG than SRW. All that extra weight sure didn't seem to hurt it. For even those that tow, it's more about the wind resistance of what they are towing than the weight.

I've traveled all over this country and kept detailed accounts of speed, altitude, temp and air density. And I am 100% positive of what I say above. The wind resistance (drag) is the biggest culprit. Reducing speed, because of this math, is your best bet. Reducing your onboard weight as you mention in an attempt for better MPG is a waste of time.

Now get ready to hear about one engine / fuel device after another (snake oil) that claims to help MPG.....

Btw, notice all the focus in the trucking industry and aviation about reducing drag? That's the science. Reduce drag to increase MPG. :thumb:

·
Registered
4,078 Posts

Trucks a 2014 2500 4x4

thanks
Did you re-calibrate your speedo with the bigger tires ?
To be real honest if you want to get your mileage back, plain and simple put your old tires back on.

Here, enter your before and after tires to see the speedo difference.
BTW speedo and miles driven are affected, which will affect everything.
You didn't mention your tire sizes old and new, so you'll have to enter them on the link below.

https://www.discounttire.com/learn/tire-size-calculator

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Your tires would be the biggest issue, even going to a mud tire vs a highway tire of the same size costs you mpg’s let alone a bigger tire.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts