Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeking advice:

Most of the driving I do a daily basis is city driving. Maybe only once a week on the highway. I occasionally tow a 7,000lb trailer and very occasionally tow a 10,000 lb trailer. Otherwise the remainder of the time it's just the truck with no trailer and no load.

I currently have a 2019 Duramax but I'm wondering if I will get better overall bang for my buck and save money with a 6.0 Liter or possibly even the new 6.6 liter gas motors

Any input would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
63 Posts
Fuel price would probably be close, figuring the MPG dif. & price dif. I've never towed with a 6l gas but it won't be close to a l5p.

·
Registered
2021 GMC SLE 3500 cc, lb, l5p
3 Posts
Seeking advice:

Most of the driving I do a daily basis is city driving. Maybe only once a week on the highway. I occasionally tow a 7,000lb trailer and very occasionally tow a 10,000 lb trailer. Otherwise the remainder of the time it's just the truck with no trailer and no load.

I currently have a 2019 Duramax but I'm wondering if I will get better overall bang for my buck and save money with a 6.0 Liter or possibly even the new 6.6 liter gas motors

Any input would be greatly appreciated
New user here, and haven't figured out signature line etc, yet, but I have a 2008 3500hd crew cab, long box lmm bone stock. 225,xxx miles that I bought new. I tow a 6T dump trailer, 7T equipment trailer and 5T cargo trailer 30% of the time, 17,000-20,000 miles/yr.

My opinion in your sitch is to buy a gasser unless you like owning a diesel. I don't think you need a diesel for how you use it.

If I didn't tow so much, tow heavy, or drive so many highway miles in a year, I don't think I could justify the diesel engine upcharge.

Just my .02.

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
Ya I too am thinking gas. Fuel cost will likely be pretty similar but truck will be cheaper and a lot cheaper to work on. Short trips and city driving is really hard on the diesel emissions stuff and I'm sure you know how that stuff can leave you stranded and how much it cost to fix. Not sure if you can get the Allison with any of the gas motor, would be nice to keep that but if you are running empty most of the time that won't likely be a big deal either. With the money saved you could afford to replace a trans if you had to.

·
Registered
150 Posts
If you don't mind the older 8.1l gas engine you can get the allison with it. The 6 speed is only in the 06 and 07 8.1l trucks with the AAM 11.5. 00-05 is the 5 speed allison. The suburban chassis and van chassis 8.1L get the 4l80 and 85's with the 10.5 corporate 14 bolt metric version with disc brakes. You get comparable towing power for diesels of the same generation, but in a gasser version. Modern diesels with the HP wars have so far outstripped the pre 2010 diesels that it's ridiculously outpowered now. All the 8.1l trucks and suburbans get all the duramax suspension, steering, motor mounts, etc. The Suburban chassis and trucks are all 2500HD's.
The 6.slow, unless you plan on modifying it, you will just not be happy with it. It needs a tune, headers, and some other minor tweaks to wake it up. The never got an allison behind them, just 4l80/85, 6l90, etc. The 6.0 is only a 2500 normal and can have the 9.5 SF rear end, but usually has the 10.5 14 bolt metric. They could be ordered with the 11.5 rear end, but they were usually in a work truck with the 10.5".
The new 6.6l seems to be about halfway between the 8.1l and the 6.slow in power, but with way more gears and better mileage due to the gears. It's also got more modern engine controls with DOD, cam phasing and other tweaks to make the powerband nice and fat everywhere and good mileage.
My 8.1l gets 11mpg on the freeway and 7.5 to 8mpg in town, loaded or unloaded it doesn't care. It makes up for it with smiles per gallon. The newer 6.6 is up in the teens in town and high teens freeway.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
New user here, and haven't figured out signature line etc, yet, but I have a 2008 3500hd crew cab, long box lmm bone stock. 225,xxx miles that I bought new. I tow a 6T dump trailer, 7T equipment trailer and 5T cargo trailer 30% of the time, 17,000-20,000 miles/yr.

My opinion in your sitch is to buy a gasser unless you like owning a diesel. I don't think you need a diesel for how you use it.

If I didn't tow so much, tow heavy, or drive so many highway miles in a year, I don't think I could justify the diesel engine upcharge.

Just my .02.
Thats my problem. When i tow, i love my diesel. Used my exhaust brake yesterday on a 44 percent grade with a 9000 pound load and i loved the sound and the feel......

·
Registered
2021 GMC SLE 3500 cc, lb, l5p
3 Posts
Thats my problem. When i tow, i love my diesel. Used my exhaust brake yesterday on a 44 percent grade with a 9000 pound load and i loved the sound and the feel......
I use my truck for work so more of a need than want. The first diesel I bought was an Isuzu box truck back in 2000(still use.) At the time it gave me the greatest capacity to haul stuff to my jobs at what I thought were reasonable mpgs...13-14 mpg compared to the E250 gasser van I had which would get the same mileage.

My 08 varies but averages 16 mpg hand calculated.

I have buddies in the business and one is strictly a gas engine guy. Mostly because of initial cost (used)and fuel cost per gallon. He tows some and does trash outs on new construction. His mileage is single digits to 10 mpg. He won't put 15,000 miles a year on his truck though .

I'm comfortable with the mpgs I get. If it were single digits or around 10 I'd be trying to find ways to squeeze more mpg's out of it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts