Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mpg dropped at the beginning of winter, I figured due to winter blend, cold truck, warm up times. But now it is getting warm and still bad mpg. I get 10 mpg towing enclosed 4 place snowmobile trailer, 12 mpg towing boat and about 13 driving around town.

About 2 weeks before mpg started to really drop I installed BS and unplugged EGR. Could this have anything to do with it??

Also within the same time frame my dad had the truck going to South Dakota and the injector harness failed, and he had to drive it about 60 miles with the motor clanking, in limp mode. Could this have anything to do with it??

I have not had any recent reflashes. I know this topic has been beat to death but I was wondering if I should take off BS and plug EGR back in and take to dealer for reflash. Last summer I averaged around 17-18 at 75-80mph

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to add that these are all hand calc values.
I compensate for the size of the 265's
and I have tried different settings on the edge.
Always the same

·
Registered
127 Posts
Bad MPG

Remember they are still running winter blend fuel. Have you changed your FF? My BS and blocker has helped my mpg slightly.

·
Registered
31,525 Posts
Did you use 4x4, were there hills, if so, not too bad considering time of year.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My last trip was about 150 miles towing a 2500 lb boat at 75mph, I got 13mpg and it was 65* outside. Winterblend shouldn't drop mileage by 5mpg, at least it has never had this dramatic of an effect in past winters.

Fuel Filter is changed every 8000 miles.

Aaron

·
Registered
40 Posts
Mine is doing the smae thing. I went from 17 to 15 over the winter.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
17-15 should be expected with cold temps, extended idle and winter blend fuel.
What should not be expected is 17-18 dropping to 10-13. In past winters mpg would drop about 1-2 mpg depending on temp, and if I was towing.

According to my first post is there any problems that might have caused it to drop off suddenly?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts