Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just a quick question... those of you with the 18+ mpg, are you reading that off of the dashs' computer? dang, mine says 11.7 and has only DROPPED since I got it! I know that is an average, so.... how are yall getting your mpg's?

·
Registered
284 Posts
how are yall getting your mpg's?
I have just over 3200 Miles on mine. Made two round-trips to SoCal. "Testing" the mileage. 294-Miles each way, no-stops... 75-MPH (on Cruise) 18.6 MPG; 70-MPH (on Cruise) 20.5 MPG; 65-MPH (on Cruise) 21.4 MPG. Around town, "Average" 15.6...(All Hand-Calculated) Nothing but "Stock" (It's a 2500 2WD, no Bed-Cover, factory wheels and tires)

Your "DIC" mileage includes "Idling" and "All Miles"... Unless you reset it.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
just a quick question... those of you with the 18+ mpg, are you reading that off of the dashs' computer? dang, mine says 11.7 and has only DROPPED since I got it! I know that is an average, so.... how are yall getting your mpg's?
I hand calculate mine.

The DIC computer in my truck (pure stock) always says that I used more fuel than I can ever stuff in the tank at fill-ups. My hald calc numbers generally run around 0.1 to 0.2 MPG BETTER per tank full than the DIC reads.

I'm generally getting 15 - 16 MPG in the city and 16 - 20 MPG on the Highway depending on speed. I currently have 2,500 miles on the truck.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I get 19.5 on the highway and 15-16 in the city depending on how many traffic lights i have to stop for. This is from the DIC. I have 265-75-16 tires.
I have never calculated it myself.

From all the posts and other info that i have read i would have to add about 4 percent to the DIC odometer reading to get the actual miles driven, therefore actual mpg should be better than the DIC says.

·
Registered
26 Posts
From all the posts and other info that i have read i would have to add about 4 percent to the DIC odometer reading to get the actual miles driven, therefore actual mpg should be better than the DIC says.
Here kind of a cool site that has a tire size calculator so you can find out exactly what percentage to add or subtract.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have just over 3200 Miles on mine. Made two round-trips to SoCal. "Testing" the mileage. 294-Miles each way, no-stops... 75-MPH (on Cruise) 18.6 MPG; 70-MPH (on Cruise) 20.5 MPG; 65-MPH (on Cruise) 21.4 MPG. Around town, "Average" 15.6...(All Hand-Calculated) Nothing but "Stock" (It's a 2500 2WD, no Bed-Cover, factory wheels and tires)

Your "DIC" mileage includes "Idling" and "All Miles"... Unless you reset it.
whats your axle? we run 4.30's and get 15 -16 at 70 mph

·
Registered
284 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
whats your axle? we run 4.30's and get 15 -16 at 70 mph
you have a ford and that is a whole different setup put 4.30 in a GM duramax and say by to any mileage

·
Registered
31 Posts
to be honest when i was looking to replace my 02 this summer
i couldnt find any 3500 with 4.10, they must be a rare puppy
and i needed the tow capacity
we are at 14k now and soon willbe at near 15.5k
4.30 are great for pulling but if we get must faster than 75 th empg drops off to around 13-14

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
3.73 on all Dmax

·
Registered
26 Posts
How much difference is there in MPG when running winter fuel for those of us that are in the cold regions? Also, is there a difference in fuel mileage compared to elevation? We are around 4000 feet in elevation, would that have anything to do with me getting 13 MPG average? And yes, I do let it warm up for 10-15 minutes every morning so that is adding to the lower mileage.

I did reset the DIC while actually driving at 65 this morning on the highway, and it was real close to 18 MPG over a 10 mile trip. If I factor in the 4% for tire size that would give me almost 19 MPG. I guess with only 3000 miles on the rig and considering any factor for winter fuel (if there is any), I am doing just fine. I do know it is a LOT better than the old 8.1 gasser!!!!

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
winter fuel will kill your mileage so i have read and i'm not sure about the elevation but i would think it would have to factor in because of the thiner air

1 - 12 of 12 Posts