Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been on this site for awhile but never posted just been reading all the great info. I'm about to mount a winch on my trailer and came up with this. I have it mocked up in place and was wondering if this was a good idea before I have it welded in place. I'm taking it to someone else to weld it. Is it too far back? You see any potential problems? The trailer is rated for 10,000lbs. It has angle iron welded across where all the holes are for tie down points. The receiver hitch was bought for a 2004 chevy z-71 from warn, but sold the truck before I installed it. Thanks.

Registered
Here is your pic, just adding it to the thread so others don't have to look for it.

I think it looks good, but hard to see how the winch sets in the picture. Will it be high enough off the bed of the trailer to easily remove and re-install?

R.I.P. Sam
Ya, I can't quite figure out from the pic the whole reciever, trailer winch thing. How you planning to power the winch?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I have already ran 20' of no.2 copper with a quick disconnect from warn to the rear of my truck. In the process of uploading more pics. Trying to get them down to size. NWOhio thanks. Trying to figure this out being a newbie. I have the winch sitting on wrenches for spacers.

Registered
Looks good to me. Might be a little overkill, but nothing wrong with that.

Registered
IMO its too far back needs to be moved forward toward the hitch,dragging something up onto the trailer your not going to be able to get it far enough forward to evenly distribute the weight,move it more forward so you can pull the load farther up on the trailer.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
IMO its too far back needs to be moved forward toward the hitch,dragging something up onto the trailer your not going to be able to get it far enough forward to evenly distribute the weight,move it more forward so you can pull the load farther up on the trailer.
I thought about that. I just have to decide if I want the hassle of getting the load on the trailer and then rehooking further back. Probably could roll a vehicle up to position, but they always don't roll easy. I kinda like the idea of having the option to remove it easily, but then again if I mount one in the tool box it's always there. The hitch has been laying in the garage for about five years. I seen it and wondered if there was a way to use it. This was just a spur of the moment idea I had.

I bought a 12,000lb Badland winch from Harbor Freight to mount inside the tool box. I know thats REALLY overkill, but it shouldn't have to work hard so maybe it will last. I still have to buy the material to mount it and pay someone to weld the metal in place. I really didn't want to buy a Warn and only use it every once in a while. I'm in no hurry to mount either one. Trying to figure out the best or easiest way.

Registered
Just saying,, mine is farther forward and it works perfect,i can stop the load wile pulling up at any time to keep load distributed evenly,things dont always roll easily like you said.

I would move it $.02

Registered
Can you weld the receiver to the tongue somehow? Or would that be in the way of the toolbox?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can you weld the receiver to the tongue somehow? Or would that be in the way of the toolbox?
Haven't thought about that. There is a piece of square tubing running across the tongue under the toolbox. It's under the tool box in the first pic in post 5. That's something to look into tomorrow. It will put it closer to the truck for my short cable to reach. I think its only 8'. Keeping the tool box is almost a must, so maybe it'll work.

Thanks guys! I'm looking for ideas and suggestion.

Registered
Why not mount it and leave it? Is the possibilty of theft the reason? One thing to keep in mind with a lead from the truck battery. You loose amps on a long run. If you mount a deep cycle battery on the trailer or in the storage box with a charge line from the truck you'll be fine. I've done both and the deep cycle with charge line has worked great and has less connections to cause problems.

R.I.P. Sam
Why not mount it and leave it? Is the possibilty of theft the reason? One thing to keep in mind with a lead from the truck battery. You loose amps on a long run. If you mount a deep cycle battery on the trailer or in the storage box with a charge line from the truck you'll be fine. I've done both and the deep cycle with charge line has worked great and has less connections to cause problems.
I agree. my buddys have them mounted permanent, nuts are welded so no one can steal. they all have batteries mounted to trailer and only charge up once in a while. works good.

one has a roller he can drop in those center stake holes to allow the cable to move freely when pulling stuff up, on to the trailer

Super Moderator
Like said before, why use the cradle unless you are planning on using it on the truck too. I too would revamp and move the winch further forward. Simply drilling 4 holes in the steel deck and backing the holes with a piece of angle iron underneath would be plenty strong and less bulky.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree on moving it forward, but I really don't see a way to move the hitch forward and keep the toolbox. Unless I buy a tongue box, but that'll cost more than metal and labor to weld it on for the HF winch. I put a toolbox on the trailer so I don't have to load and unload straps and other stuff everytime I used the trailer. Guess that should go for the winch also. Think I just made my mind up :). I'm going with the winch inside the toolbox. It was a spur of the moment idea that looked good to me at first. Thanks everyone for the input.
I would like to see a pic of the roller that can be dropped in a stake hole. That's something I would be interested in. I think I'm going to need one at the rear of the trailer.
Also, Is it a good idea to have the trailer unhooked from the truck while its being welded on?

Thanks

R.I.P. Sam
Also, Is it a good idea to have the trailer unhooked from the truck while its being welded on?

Thanks
Yes, so you don't fry truck electronics.

he just has a $15, 12" roller like this mounted on some tube that will sit on the deck but be anchored in the stake holes

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The roller is a good idea. Where would I find one? Think Tractor Supply or Harbor Freight would have them? Will they hold up? I'm looking for a place locally that would have them.
I was just going to put a block of wood down if needed and let the cable slide over it instead of the trailer.

Just for the hell of it I moved the winch forward and it does look to be in a better position. I see no way of keeping the toolbox. I'm still going to mount the other winch, just thought I would check it out. I plan on installing it this weekend or the next if things work out right.

Registered
Can you mount the toolbox on top of the hitch you are welding on?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Can you mount the toolbox on top of the hitch you are welding on?
I guess I could get about 18" of c channel welded on each side under the box. Not sure I like the way it would look though. Never had an issue of hitting it with my truck in tight spots either. It's moved about 8"-10" forward. I know its hard to tell in the pics but what do you think?

Everything has to be raised up alittle bit to remove and install winch.

Premium Member
I have a WAI. Find someone to tig an alum tube or half tube thru the toolbox and you could mount the wench in front of the box and allow the cable to pass thru or under it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.