Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a question …. or better yet, would like to ask the opinion of the people here. I will be going on my second annual Elk hunting trip to the great state of <st1:State><st1:place>Colorado</st1:place></st1:State> this coming September, coming from Indiana …. And my dad (56 years old) has decided he is going with me. He refuses to sleep in a tent when I have a perfectly good 5<SUP>th</SUP> wheel camper we can take. Here is my setup … camper is 28ft. with a tall bedroom and weighs about 8500lbs loaded and ready to go. Behind that I will be pulling a single axle trailer with our 4-wheelers on it weighing about 3000lbs. I’m not sure how familiar any of you are with I-70 through <st1:State><st1:place>Colorado</st1:place></st1:State> … but there are some BIG mountains. I currently am running the Juice and Autometer Gauges and that is all. Pulling this kind of weight in these kind of mountains … what is the opinion on exhaust and intake needs? Pulling on level 2 on flat ground I rarely ever see 1000F EGT’s …. But what is it going to do when I am going up a 6% grade pulling 11000lbs? Would 4” exhaust be necessary? Intake? Edited by: swilk

·
Registered
706 Posts
Just from what I have seen here, I would say that the exhaust should be your priority. I have an AFE stage II intake and while its fun to listen to and the lag isn't as bad I think an exhaust would be more beneficial for lowering EGT's

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have a 4" exhaust & unifilter with an opened up air box towing on level 1 Hot Juice.When I put on the 4" exhaust EGT went down about 150-200 pulling our 12000lb 5er when loaded.In the mountains is where it really showed.Don't let it bog down going up & if you haven't installed an O/D lockout switch thats a good idea.Your right foot is directly connected to EGT.And smile when you pass everyone on the mountain.

·
Registered
363 Posts
As you gain altitude, you lose boost and increase EGT. That will be your limiting factor. I like the ability to adjust power levels on the go, as you can lower it as you need to. That said, a stock truck will easily exceed 1300 degrees on a pull like that. Exhaust will help, but be prepared to hand fly it (as opposed to Cruise) when climbing in case you have to back off to keep the temps in line. Other than that, you should be fine.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I pull a 14,000 all steel horse trailer from Phoenix to Idaho Elk hunting. I have normal juice, EGT guage, and stock exhaust. Usually pulling out of the Valley and headed north I do the speed limit (65-75). Eye on EGTs and go.

Its going to be pretty warm in Sept (good luck on the bugle hunt!) but not nearly as hot as it is in AZ. I will be upgrading to a 4" flow-through muffler only pretty soon to keep the EGTs down.

Just keep an eye on the EGTs and keep them below 1250-1300, and you should be fine. Then spank that Dmax mule!

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
swilk said:
Got a question …. or better yet, would like to ask the opinion of the people here. I will be going on my second annual Elk hunting trip to the great state of <st1:State><st1:place>Colorado</st1:place></st1:State> this coming September, coming from Indiana …. And my dad (56 years old) has decided he is going with me. He refuses to sleep in a tent when I have a perfectly good 5<SUP>th</SUP> wheel camper we can take. Here is my setup … camper is 28ft. with a tall bedroom and weighs about 8500lbs loaded and ready to go. Behind that I will be pulling a single axle trailer with our 4-wheelers on it weighing about 3000lbs. I’m not sure how familiar any of you are with I-70 through <st1:State><st1:place>Colorado</st1:place></st1:State> … but there are some BIG mountains. I currently am running the Juice and Autometer Gauges and that is all. Pulling this kind of weight in these kind of mountains … what is the opinion on exhaust and intake needs? Pulling on level 2 on flat ground I rarely ever see 1000F EGT’s …. But what is it going to do when I am going up a 6% grade pulling 11000lbs? Would 4” exhaust be necessary? Intake?

Swilk,

What area# are you hunting? The biggest thing in Colorado will be the altituded vs. the grade. Eisenhower tunnel is close to 11000 feet above sea level. Get ready fro some big black smoke. Any diesel has trouble cleaning up at that altitiude. I would run a fuel additive that helps combustion, go with the 4" exaust and better air filter. The juice timing only setting might be your best bet. You will just have to watch your EGT's. Your truck will make it fine with no problem stock. you might just have to go a little slower than 90MPH. Have you thought about some tire chains??

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Going on I-70 until I get to Rifle and then hanging a right. Ill be hunting in unit 23-24 and 33 (assuming all goes well in the draw). Last year I made the trip with my truck bone stock .... but I was only loaded/pulling 5000lbs or so. I might go ahead and get the Summit 4" exhaust and install a O/D lock out switch. No thoughts on tire chains ... already decided that I will just wait out any snowy weather that there might be. We will be arriving on Labor Day weekend and leaving around the 18th .... defenitly a chance of snow ... but hopefully if it does come it will be gone in a very short amount of time

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
I take it you have been here before! I have been hunting close to you for the last 3 years. Take a right at NewCastle. Go over the hill towards Buford. Some of the same areas. 3rd. season.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I would go with a 4" pipe and the OD lockout. When I get in the mountains with my trailor I just lock it out of OD and you don't lug the motor and you need the grade breaking anyway. This is just my .02.

·
Registered
398 Posts
<DIV>I pull right at 12,000 pounds with my 5th wheel running stock and have never had any problems what so ever climbing the big hills out west.</DIV>
<DIV>The Duramax pulls like it could handle a lot more, so I wouldn't worry at all.</DIV>
<DIV>Your Dad makes good sense, why would you want to sleep in a tent when you have the perfect hunting lodge on wheels?</DIV>
<DIV>Go for it you won't have any problems.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>On Edit: I always use the tow/haul while towing, even on flat ground.</DIV>Edited by: John R

·
Registered
420 Posts
It appears that you will be towing TWO trailers. Some states don't allow that. I don't know about the states on your trip, but I do know that the states on the Pacific coast (WA, OR, CA) only allow you to tow one trailer.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I took my 5er ( 10,400 # ) over Monarch Pass, only mods were 4" exhaust and at that time K&N air filter. I got up to 56 mph before having to back out it for the curves. Don`t know about EGTs, didn`t have gages at the time. No heat problem or black smoke. Wished I`d had some smoke to blow on them F--Ds. Don`t worry you will do fine, just watch the weather.

Jomar

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
smshiver said:
It appears that you will be towing TWO trailers. Some states don't allow that. I don't know about the states on your trip, but I do know that the states on the Pacific coast (WA, OR, CA) only allow you to tow one trailer.

Actually you can run two trailers in CA but you need a CDL license and you need to be under a length limit. Thought of doing this myself but my second trailer would only be about 7-8' long with the length I am now.

This website should help:

http://www.rvsafety.com/state.htm

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
swilk,

I just finished a trip from Bremerton, Washington to Newport, Rhode Island. We went over Vail pass (around 11,000 ft) on I-70. I just weighed the truck and trailer at 23180 lbs. I didn't experience any problems, and this is my first time towing anything. I left the truck in O/D inhibit and in tow/haul mode the entire trip. I got 11.5 MPG the whole way. When we were headed up the mountains there were a couple of spots I slowed down to about 45 MPH, it just didn't seem like a good thing to floor it up the hill with all that weight on back, but I'd be willing to bet it would have made it faster with no problems. My bigger worry was going down the hill, sure hope those electric brakes on the trailer work, thank god for grade braking. Over all the trip was uneventful pulling one 32 ft. 5th wheel trailer, one wife, one two-year old and one four-month old.

Good Luck,

Dennis

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Terrain Twister,

How do you like the Six-Gun/Speed loader? Does it let you change error codes? I want a box for my truck, but can't decide. I want the very best, regardless of cost, but I want the ability to look at the codes if possible.

Dennis

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
baimpala,

Six-Gun works great.
I still haven't loaded the Speed-Loader optioon but will probably do that next weekend. Got back this evening and the truck pulls the fiver just fine. No error code changing. Only other thing I recomend is do the exhaust first if you haven't.

PM me if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to answer.

Chuck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts