Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure this is the right place for my question, so if not, moderator, please feel free to move.

We have a 2012 3500 Chevy D/A dually that we use mainly to pull our 38' 5th wheel. It only has about 18,000 miles on it. We are planning a trip later this month to Yellowstone and my husband wanted me to see if there is anything we need to know/do for mountain & high altitude driving. We've not done any performance mods to it. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
nope. modern electronics take care of all the adjustments needed as elevation changes yes, you will loose some performance, not as much as a non turbo engine, but still loose some as altitude increases.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Don't be afraid to run a little higher than average rpms during the climb 2300-2500, it will handle that without an issue. Now on the way down, pick a gear and stick to it, only using the service brakes in short intervals. During engine braking rpms can climb higher than usual without causing any issues, ball park up to 3500 is my limit for engine braking.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Just leave it in auto with the tow/haul and exhaust brake set.

The engine and trans 'talk' to each other extensively regarding need to shift (up or down), resulting power availability and engine rpms. The system is a lot smarter than we give it credit for - unlike the days of engines/trans that operated independently.

·
Super Moderator Rather Be Fishin'
2,904 Posts
Moved to Towing...

As mentioned above, you'll be good to go with no changes. Just turn on the exhaust brake, set the cruise control, and enjoy... :)

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I don't know about the newer generations, but my LLY clatters louder above about 8000 ft. (not sure, could be 6-7000 ft., too). It concerned me the first few times it happened but now I expect it. It's mostly noticeable when coming to a stop and idling (like at the top of Sonora Pass where it's about 9500 ft.). Of course, I'm gasping for air about then, too.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I live in SW WY and my LLM does great here. I got better mileage here than when in OK but the temperature my have had some to do with that.

Enjoy the scenery.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts