Diesel Place banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
The Allison and your truck MAY not be more intelligent than you ;) but pays more attention than you will. Put it in tow mode and in drive and let it do its own thing. ( with a newer truck, set the engine brake to on as soon as you put trans in drive ). This is easier on the truck and on fuel economy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Ron, thanks for the reply. The "hills - inclines" were in Arkansas, and of course I have no idea what degree of incline they were. While they may not have been extremely steep, it was also the length of the incline. The longer the incline, the slower the truck went. Other pick ups pulling travel trailers were passing us, and I would guess they were going about 55 - 60mph. My concern at that time was the high mileage on the truck and fearing the tranny would not handle it. Now it sounds that going slow might have been much worse than keeping up the truck's speed. I always use the tow haul mode when pulling the camper. So my take away from all the responses is to use manual 5th gear through the ups and downs of the hills / mountains. And trust the truck to do what's right - as designed. Thanks much for the help... kip

·
Registered
653 Posts
Keep in mind if you use manual to hold 5th gear the grade braking will not work as designed.

Engage TH, put it in D, set the CC and relax. 7000# is an easy pull.

Reactions: roswell

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
OK, thanks for straight forward answer... and the info. I will trust the truck to know what it's doing, and enjoy the drive. The folks on this forum have been a great help, and I deeply appreciate it! Kip

·
Registered
10 Posts
Any more camping/towing trips this summer that you can comment on? I too am new to diesel towing, but have been towing our travel trailer for several years with a 90's gas Suburban 3/4 ton. I towed mostly flat(ish) terrain in the Midwest where I live, but we want to start hitting hills/mountains around the country... which is why I bought the diesel dually. I'm interested to hear more about your experiences.

As far as tire pressures, those should be based on the actual weight of your truck, trailer, and associated tongue weight (downward force of the trailer tongue on your truck's hitch) when loaded and towing. You can use a CAT scale at a truck stop to determine all that, and then adjust your tire pressures accordingly based on the actual weight each axle is holding. Sure you can max them all out to be safe, but that might not be required and would give an overly harsh ride. Trailer tires, on the other hand, should be kept at max inflation. Too low and they can overheat, which equals catastrophic failure at high speeds... not fun, and don't ask me how I know! :)

21 - 25 of 25 Posts