Diesel Place banner

Motor swap or sell

Question: 
2K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  Sparkys Tacoma 
#1 ·
I love my 93 crew cab dually. I do not use the truck for work anymore and I want to be able to road trip with it. Last family run I came across a huge lack of Diesel fuel. And I honestly want a quite rig. The 6.5 is not quiet. I was thinking LS Swap. But before I bought a. Motor I was looking at others inputs. I have redone all suspension, interior, recent regear, body is straight but for 2 bumps and no rust. Just needs paint. So what are your thoughts

#2 ·
I would Dynamat the interior cab space and replace all the door seals/hardware and window weatherstrip to make it a much quieter ride.

#3 ·
Oh I did those and it made a big difference. It's also when I get to 70/75 mph the motor gets much louder than at 65. At 60/65 it's easy to carry a conversation in the cab.

I also sound deadened the firewall when I had the motor out. I Swapped in 18.5 Pistons and it's a tad bit easier to cruise on the freeway. But other than that mileage is the same and the power feels the same. I'm in socal so their is no such thing as a cold start here...

Reactions: OkDually
#7 ·
...when I get to 70/75 mph the motor gets much louder than at 65. At 60/65 it's easy to carry a conversation in the cab...
What RPM are you running at 65 and 75?
Is the noise coming directly from the engine compartment or from the exhaust?
If its the exhaust, perhaps changing the muffler or adding a resonator will help. High quality motor mounts make a difference too if you haven't already tried that. Maybe consider regearing to bring down highway RPM?

#4 ·
Ok what fuel mileage do you get?

#5 ·
I average about 12mpg between in town and highway runs

#6 ·
Same here. Sadly it was identical to when I had all the weight in the bed of the truck. I was really hoping it would hop up a few mpg. I guess that is a testiment to how the motors can work!

Reactions: OkDually
#8 ·
1800 to 2100 usually.

3.73:1 gears just regeared from 4.56

New motor Mounts and pass through muffler.

Motor is loud at idle and above 1800rpm.

Exhaust is loud at boost but not during cruising below 2100. At 2100 you hear it.

Under good is sound deadened and raptor lined.

Inside cab is dynamat'd

#9 ·
1800 to 2100 usually.

3.73:1 gears just regeared from 4.56

New motor Mounts and pass through muffler.

Motor is loud at idle and above 1800rpm.

Exhaust is loud at boost but not during cruising below 2100. At 2100 you hear it.

Under good is sound deadened and raptor lined.

Inside cab is dynamat'd
Looks like you've covered all your bases!

Maybe the "pass through" muffler is a little too free flowing?

#10 ·
Need a bus muffler. But I know when the exhaust comes in vs the motor. 15 feet of difference

Reactions: Texas Diesel Guy
#11 ·
Alright I am thinking of selling my dually. For a gulp. Minivan.... Easier local driving and better for the kids. I'll be a soccer dad grrrrr

#13 ·
Great response. No I was going to get the Hellcat Pacifica. 702hp and 650 tq.

My promaster does all my work now. The truck just sits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.