Diesel Place banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2021 GMC 2500 HD
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got new 2021 Duramax it seems to shut off after ideling for one hour.
is it in the programming is there a switch I missed?

·
Administrator
20,203 Posts
Just got new 2021 Duramax it seems to shut off after ideling for one hour.
is it in the programming is there a switch I missed?
Check your Owner's Manual for Extended Idle shutdown Feature..
Should be part of the emissions system software

Reactions: Lennox69

·
Registered
163 Posts
Someone said to put ebrake on and put the tranny in neutral and it wont do it. Something to try anyways.

Asking for trouble idling these DPF trucks. They dont like it. There is a reason the factory put a shutdown on it. Clogged DPFs.

·
Registered
376 Posts
That’s funn, the company I work for has about 300, 150-550 Fords most gas. All the duallys are diesel and the foreman’s never shut them off except when they get home. We do road,utilities and bridge buildin. They just sit there idle all day and go through regens smoking and stinking but just keep ticking. I wonder what ford knows that Gm doesn’t about regens and idling?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Someone said to put ebrake on and put the tranny in neutral and it wont do it. Something to try anyways.

Asking for trouble idling these DPF trucks. They dont like it. There is a reason the factory put a shutdown on it. Clogged DPFs.
That is the only way i can keep my truck running longer than 15 min. Do not like the restricted bullshiet added to these new trucks at all

·
Administrator
20,203 Posts
That is the only way i can keep my truck running longer than 15 min. Do not like the restricted bullshiet added to these new trucks at all
All thanks to the Rolling Coal idiots out there for giving the Climate Change nutjobs the ammo to help change emissions laws

·
Registered
126 Posts
All thanks to the Rolling Coal idiots out there for giving the Climate Change nutjobs the ammo to help change emissions laws
It isn't the "fault" of rolling coal idiots. The climate agenda has been marching steadily to destroy our freedoms for decades. They lure in naive people with their climate talk, but it's really just a pile of commie globalist types that wanna keep you out of trucks, cars, independent transportation, ect. They don't like the little man having power and freedom.

Reactions: FreedomOne

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
All dmaxes all have 'Elevated Idle', which is a feature intended to warm the engine and transmission.
Assuming it has been enabled, it will automatically kick in when the neccesary conditions are met -- which means the vehicle can be remote started and warmed before going to the truck.

There is a variable delay, that depends on how cold it is, before the ecm ramps up the idle speed.

Elevated Idle
The engine has a cold temperature high idle feature which elevates the engine idle speed from base idle to
1050 to 1100 rpm when outside temperatures are below 0 °C (32 °F),
and the engine coolant temperature is below 65 °C (150 °F). This feature
enhances heater performance by raising the engine coolant temperature faster.

To turn this feature on or off, see Vehicle Personalization pg 13.

When the engine is started, it will slowly ramp up to the high idle speed after a delay of a few
seconds up to approximately two minutes. For this method to work properly there must be no
throttle or brake pedal faults.

The engine idle speed will return to normal once the following conditions are met:
. Engine coolant temperature reaches 65 °C (150 °F).
. Air intake temperature reaches 0 °C (32 °F).

The high idle speed will be temporarily interrupted and the engine speed will return to normal if
any of the following conditions occur:
. The brake pedal is applied.
. The accelerator pedal is pressed.
. The transmission is shifted out of P (Park) or N (Neutral).
. Vehicle speed is detected.
Once these inputs are removed, the engine idle speed will slowly ramp back up to high idle after the normal
delay, if the conditions for engine coolant temperature and air intake temperature are still met.

There is also a fast idle / high idle (both names are used)
It is not automatic.
It is operated using the cruise control buttons -- so must be activated from inside truck.

It is intended to run accessories faster (including possibly AC...) and does not drag set the engine controls to intentional increase the amount of heat produced.

Fast Idle Control
If equipped, this system can be used to increase the engine idle speed.
Fast Idle control will be enabled when the following conditions are met:
. The parking brake is set.
. The transmission is in P (Park) or N (Neutral).
. The vehicle speed is about 0 km/h (0 mph).
. The cruise control Set switch is pressed and released for Preset Fast Idle Speed (1200 rpm).

Fast Idle control will be disabled when one or more of the following conditions occur:
. The cruise control Set switch is pressed and released. See “Cruise Control” in the owner’s manual.
. The cruise control Cancel switch is pressed.
. The brake pedal is pressed.
. The transmission is shifted out of P (Park) or N (Neutral).
. The parking brake is released.
. The vehicle speed is not 0 km/h (0 mph).

UF3 High idle switch
On Pro (Base Sierra) or WT- Requires (K34) Cruise Control. Not available with (PTO) Power Take-off.
On SLE, Custom and LT - Not available with (PTO) Power Take-off.

UF3 is available on all trims. (and standard on none)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok I have the elevated idle but do not have the high idle. When the trucks idle for 10 hours it would be nice for it to go to high ie to regen.
The 2019 ram we have in the fleet we automatically kick into high idle to regen.every so often.
Is that something we can add now?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
  • Wow
Reactions: OkDually
1 - 15 of 15 Posts