Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed my filters earlier in the week (OEM and Racor 690 2Mic Pre OEM). Used the GRG (Grand Rapids Guru) technique listed in the Do It Yourself section to change out the OEM. Very quick and easy
. OEM had 17K on it, PreOEM had about 6K on it. Cut them open and what do I find in the OEM, well, just as warned about here, RUST, and lots of it. And were not talking your garden variety fine surface rust, no, were talking about chunks. I could have scooped it out with a spoon. I thought for a minute it was sand, or something other than rust because it was not stuck to the surface. It was that thick. The pictures do not depict how heavy it was. I wiped it away, and there were fine surface pits underneath, so it was working away at the surface. Be warned gents, all is not well in the land of OEM Fuel Filtration...but my Racor PreOEM sure looked purty.

Edited by: Diesel Power

·
Registered
217 Posts
VFRRIDER,

Did you use any type of fuel additive? I used additive since day one, and had no rust on my 10K OEM. I wonder if it is a bad batch of filters, additive, or just plain luck?

Here is a pick of mine...the chunks are from cutting it open with a hack saw. This filter also ran 5K of its 10K with the Nicktane setup pre-oem.

John

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just started using FPPF Total Power with the filter changeout, I'll have to wait and see in a few months to see if it has any effect. Now thats one clean filter you got there, if the additive makes that kind of difference for me I'll be one satisfied customer.

Mike

·
Registered
361 Posts
VFR, Was that the origional OEM filter that cam with your truck ? I noticed on my '02 the first time I changed the Filter it had lots of water. After That I never had more than a few drops. I think I will drain mine today (2k) just to have a look. I'm buring off the rest of my Power Service this week and I have the FPPF from eric that I am anxious to try.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That was the original OEM Filter. I didn't expect it to look like that since it still had a while to go if you follow the maintenance schedule. I'll be changing it every 6 months from now on. As far as the FPPF, I can't see/feel any difference in how the truck runs, I'm hoping it does its job in the water emulsification department.

Mike

·
Registered
132 Posts
Help

Fuel filtration seems to be the weak link in these babies. I'm a new diesel owner so talk slow. Pre OEM? Before the factory filter? If so why would the garbage ever get to the OEM filter. Is this Racor unit the fix most of you guys are going with & where can I purchase it? Eric..I was REDMAX yesterday...Had a log in problem, had to reregister.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I have a PreOEM system, it worked best for me since I had installed an auxillary tank, and made for an easy install. Further I did not wish to tread into Warranty Denial issues by cutting into the fuel system or installing PostOEM. In a perfect world a PostOEM is probably the better choice, its the logical choice (OEM catches some crud, PostOEM 2micron catches whatevers left). I figured the PreOEM would still be better than none, since it would filter down to 2 micron and not send any crud to the OEM. Problem lies here; Either water is settling out in the bottom of the OEM filters and causing corrosion, or the OEM design has corrosion to begin with. There was a post either here or at the DP in which OEM filters were cut open brand new off the shelf and had rust already developing. Add a little H20, apparently in even very small amounts and you have rust. It appears that a partial answer is to run an emulsifying additive from day one. That is where I made my first mistake. Further, if I had a PostOEM filter, I would be feeling a bit less stressed at this moment, knowing that any of the rust which may have passed the filter barrier would have been caught by the PostOEM. Not to say I regret my PreOEM, I'm still glad I have it.

Sorry for the long post. Regarding the Racor unit, it's one of 3 preferred, which includes the Racor, Megafilter, or Cat. Do a search and you'll have more than you can read.

Mike Edited by: VFRRider

·
Registered
85 Posts
VFRRider,

That is one ugly filter can! Had you ever emptied out the drain on the filter? I just drained mine the other day and found no water (7000 mi) but am not convinced there is not any rust in it. I plan on changing the filter before it gets to cold and will cut it open. Looking at a couple of these pictures makes me plan to change frequently as you mentioned and an additive goes into the next tank of fuel!

Mike

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HisDMAX I had not drained the filter prior to changing it. Don't know if it would have helped or not.

Mike

·
Registered
612 Posts
VFRRider said:
In a perfect world a PostOEM is probably the better choice, its the logical choice (OEM catches some crud, PostOEM 2micron catches whatevers left). I figured the PreOEM would still be better than none, since it would filter down to 2 micron and not send any crud to the OEM. Problem lies here; Either water is settling out in the bottom of the OEM filters and causing corrosion, or the OEM design has corrosion to begin with. There was a post either here or at the DP in which OEM filters were cut open brand new off the shelf and had rust already developing. Add a little H20, apparently in even very small amounts and you have rust.

Further, if I had a PostOEM filter, I would be feeling a bit less stressed at this moment, knowing that any of the rust which may have passed the filter barrier would have been caught by the PostOEM. Not to say I regret my PreOEM, I'm still glad I have it.

Mike

Mike ...

Can understand your concerns, been there, doing that!
One of my filters was one of the new ones you mentioned that was cut open and found to already have rust/corrosion. After much consideration, I came to the conclusion that while a pre-OEM filter system is fine, because the factory filter could be a source of fuel contamination, I wanted a post-OEM setup. On a trip earlier this summer, I went by John Kennedy's and he installed one of his Mega filters. Yes, even though I have to bleed it every now and then, I have been pleased with it. I am waiting on Greg (LandutyG) to get in stock a Racor fuel filter/lift pump that he has mentioned in several post. It is my hope that once it is installed my bleeding days will be over. At that time, I will have both pre and post OEM filtration which is probably overkill but which, if nothing else, will make me feel better.

Jim

·
Registered
663 Posts
I recently purchased 6 new RACOR OEM Filters and three of them were corroded. The rust and corrosion could be seen through the sealed wrapper. I called the supplier and they quickly sent me three replacements and one of those was also corroded. So, four out of a sample of seven filters were bad. Not good...
I'm sure there a lot of trucks out there running with filters that were rusty when they were installed.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If in fact there are a large number of rusted OEM filters sitting on dealership shelves out there then that is a load of BS and an outrage to a customer who has forked out 40+k on a truck. I can't believe that GM or somebody isn't raising h#ll and demanding someone's a## over that. With the amount of $ GM is forking out on warranty work for failed injectors you would think that they would be at the front of the line demanding recalls on the filters and better QC from thier suppliers. Is it just me or does this sound like corporate burocracy screwing over the consumer. They must be aware of it, if a bunch of shadetree mechanics on a Forum could see the problem, shouldn't they??

Mike

·
Registered
612 Posts
Mike ..

While I agree, I also know that Racor is making these filters to GM's specs!
Would just about bet the bean counters have shown that the company will save a few cents by not having the metal in the filters treated so they won't rust and that is the driving force behind their design.

Jim

·
Registered
663 Posts
Jim,

I talked to the supplier of the "pre-rusted" filters I received and they felt the corrosion was caused by a process problem when the filter was built. If the filters are made correctly they won't rust. I've changed and cut open two OE filters so far on my 03 and both were shiny and not rusted on the inside. Most likely if the filter isn't rusted before it's installed, it will be OK. The rusty ones we are finding on trucks were probably rusted when they were installed and just got worse (IMHO).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts