Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dmaxalliTech;1570647; said:
Lets see, different machine shop on Keiths second go round. Same assembler.

Seems to be running quite well so far.

I tried calling all the other shops that have done all this so far, but, oh, there wasnt any doing it successfully.. Crank it up and ATS, both have done the same level and both have motor on a zipper... Flame suit not needed, I dont get burned that easy.

Nick's has been running for about 14K miles with 65 psi boost and no problems and there is several more that just are not on the board I know of. Nasty Girl's build is based from Nick's motor as I supply all the information when Nathan called me before it got built, so it should have worked out just fine the first time around. Errors were made during machining and building and corrected for the second build. Now they just need to find the cause of the combustion gas entering the water system and it will be a Hell of a ride.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Diesel Tech;1570836; said:
Nick's has been running for about 14K miles with 65 psi boost and no problems and there is several more that just are not on the board I know of. Nasty Girl's build is based from Nick's motor as I supply all the information when Nathan called me before it got built, so it should have worked out just fine the first time around. Errors were made during machining and building and corrected for the second build. Now they just need to find the cause of the combustion gas entering the water system and it will be a Hell of a ride.
This is a joke right? You did supply me with the rods and cam at a "Retail" price but as far as the rest.........you will not take credit for that!!! If you supplied me with the "Information" you say you did, things would have turned out ALOT different! I share 99% of what I do not like some. Don't get me wrong Steve your a smart guy but you DID NOT build this truck!!! Please don't take the credit away from those who deserve it!

Nathan and myself designed the original setup with the help of Opie, DonM and Eric Merchant.

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
Keith,

Those are off the shelf Crower Rods, everyone who is running an aftermarket set is running CROWER as they are the only game in town for now.............;)

The camshaft is not that special either, I was told it comes in three flavors from COMP CAMS if I remember correctly.

I know that Socal Diesel has it's own custom line of camshafts that are matched to the heads that they produce. In fact Trippin just posted a very simple cam indexing fixture so anyone can keyway cut the cams without having to go through a lot of extra steps....

You are swapping camshafts aren't you ????

:cool:

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nasty Girl;1570960; said:
This is a joke right? You did supply me with the rods and cam at a "Retail" price but as far as the rest.........you will not take credit for that!!! If you supplied me with the "Information" you say you did, things would have turned out ALOT different! I share 99% of what I do not like some. Don't get me wrong Steve your a smart guy but you DID NOT build this truck!!! Please don't take the credit away from those who deserve it!

Nathan and myself designed the original setup with the help of Opie, DonM and Eric Merchant.
No joke Keith and you know it! Nathan asked me what I had done with Nick's motor and I told him each and every part, he then asked me to build the motor and I told him I did not have the time. We discussed what turbo's he planned on using and how much boost was planned to be run too. I sold parts to Nathan and shipped them to him and he was well aware that the pistons would need to be machined for clearance and what those clearances needed to be. I call that sharing 100%! Nathan designed and built the twin turbo setup and twin CP3 setup. I never had a conversation with you till after there were problems with the assemble. Sure is funny how the same motor with the exact same parts was built out here and was running prior to you starting your build, it's been trouble free for 14,000 miles except for a water pump leak. Eric assembles the same parts and has valve contact with all 8 pistons and 1 piston failure. Things turned out the way they did because the engine was not machined and assembled properly. Fitting and assembling the parts is the job of the engine builder, period. If the machine shop screws up the engine builder finds them before the motor is assembled and has the machine work redone, that's what he is getting paid to do.

Your right I did not build the truck just had a lot to do with the parts that were used to build the motor, you supplied the money.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Diesel Tech;1571472; said:
Nathan asked me what I had done with Nick's motor and I told him each and every part, he then asked me to build the motor and I told him I did not have the time.
the engine was not machined and assembled properly
If the machine shop screws up the engine builder finds them before the motor is assembled and has the machine work redone, that's what he is getting paid to do
Now I am thoroughly confused....

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fuel007one;1571507; said:
Now I am thoroughly confused....

What it means is the engine builder is to assemble the engine and check all clearances when building a none stock or hotrod motor. If the machine shop the engine builder used did not machine something properly then he would find this during assemble and checking. At that point you send the parts back to the machine shop to get them corrected before the assemble is completed and the motor is shipped out the door. That's what your paying the engine builder to do for you and it's his job and responsibility to do it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I am new to this but is it safe to assume that you do similar work as does Merchant?

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, we are a manufacture. We design engine components and engine electrical components. What I am describing is engine building 101.

·
Registered
729 Posts
GMC-2002-Dmax;1571143; said:
Keith,

Those are off the shelf Crower Rods, everyone who is running an aftermarket set is running CROWER as they are the only game in town for now.............;)

The camshaft is not that special either, I was told it comes in three flavors from COMP CAMS if I remember correctly.

I know that Socal Diesel has it's own custom line of camshafts that are matched to the heads that they produce. In fact Trippin just posted a very simple cam indexing fixture so anyone can keyway cut the cams without having to go through a lot of extra steps....

:cool:
You bet I am!

·
Registered
729 Posts
No joke Keith and you know it! Nathan asked me what I had done with Nick's motor and I told him each and every part, he then asked me to build the motor and I told him I did not have the time. We discussed what turbo's he planned on using and how much boost was planned to be run too. I sold parts to Nathan and shipped them to him and he was well aware that the pistons would need to be machined for clearance and what those clearances needed to be. I call that sharing 100%! Nathan designed and built the twin turbo setup and twin CP3 setup. I never had a conversation with you till after there were problems with the assemble. Sure is funny how the same motor with the exact same parts was built out here and was running prior to you starting your build, it's been trouble free for 14,000 miles except for a water pump leak. Eric assembles the same parts and has valve contact with all 8 pistons and 1 piston failure. Things turned out the way they did because the engine was not machined and assembled properly. Fitting and assembling the parts is the job of the engine builder, period. If the machine shop screws up the engine builder finds them before the motor is assembled and has the machine work redone, that's what he is getting paid to do.

Your right I did not build the truck just had a lot to do with the parts that were used to build the motor, you supplied the money.
No one disagrees on the valve to piston contact and poor machining. Facts are facts there. Eric's machine shop did a very poor job and now Eric stepped up to the plate and made things right. I commend him for that! No one is perfect and we all learn the hard way sometimes thats life and also an acceptable level of risk. I am not going to argue with you Steve because that is a futile effort for anyone. Good luck to you I wish you the best!

On a different note:
I have learned alot of hard lessons as of late on the true nature of some people.....I won't make that mistake again! As I have suffered ridicule from individuals on here which was uncalled for and for no apparent reason. I will now be closing the book on Nasty Girl regarding technical information I gather from here on in. I have promised certain individuals who have helped me along the way that I would share with them what I have learned and I will continue to do so via private email. But as far as publicly shared accomplishments and failures I will see in the future in regards to my build and future testing........ sorry no more! It is sad that a handfull of jelous people had to ruin it for others but I will NOT be publicly called a liar.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Nasty Girl;1572023; said:
No one disagrees on the valve to piston contact and poor machining. Facts are facts there. Eric's machine shop did a very poor job and now Eric stepped up to the plate and made things right. I commend him for that! No one is perfect and we all learn the hard way sometimes thats life and also an acceptable level of risk. I am not going to argue with you Steve because that is a futile effort for anyone. Good luck to you I wish you the best!

On a different note:
I have learned alot of hard lessons as of late on the true nature of some people.....I won't make that mistake again! As I have suffered ridicule from individuals on here which was uncalled for and for no apparent reason. I will now be closing the book on Nasty Girl regarding technical information I gather from here on in. I have promised certain individuals who have helped me along the way that I would share with them what I have learned and I will continue to do so via private email. But a s far as publicly shared accomplishments and failures I will see in the future........ sorry no more! It is sad that a handfull of jelous people had to ruin it for others but I will NOT be publicly called a liar.
don't take it to heart, just recognize human nature.........lots of people are interested in the progress........just don't respond to the garbage:D

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

On a different note:
I have learned alot of hard lessons as of late on the true nature of some people.....I won't make that mistake again! As I have suffered ridicule from individuals on here which was uncalled for and for no apparent reason. I will now be closing the book on Nasty Girl regarding technical information I gather from here on in. I have promised certain individuals who have helped me along the way that I would share with them what I have learned and I will continue to do so via private email. But as far as publicly shared accomplishments and failures I will see in the future in regards to my build and future testing........ sorry no more! It is sad that a handfull of jelous people had to ruin it for others but I will NOT be publicly called a liar.
Keith

You called me out and I answered you with the facts, plain and simple. I never stated that Eric did not step up and take care of you I just stated what should have been done in the first place. If Eric made it right by you that's all that counts. Your big on saying who did what so why have you not given credit to those who help you get there? Seems the politics have got you changing who did what and who supplied what. The motor you have today is the same thing you started with 6 months ago with proper machine work done this time around. I hope it's everything you want it to be.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Diesel Tech;1572087; said:
Keith

You called me out and I answered you with the facts, plain and simple. I never stated that Eric did not step up and take care of you I just stated what should have been done in the first place. If Eric made it right by you that's all that counts. Your big on saying who did what so why have you not given credit to those who help you get there? Seems the politics have got you changing who did what and who supplied what. The motor you have today is the same thing you started with 6 months ago with proper machine work done this time around. I hope it's everything you want it to be.

That my friend is far from the truth , the motor I have today is alot different than it was 6 months ago. Let me list the things that haven't changed since the original build.

The Crank and Rods that is it!

Block is different, pistons, cam, injector nozzles, push rods, heads, valves, seats, shall I go on theres more? Actually no I won't it's live and learn from here on in.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Nasty Girl; 1572023; said:
On a different note:
Keith, please reconsider. I realize that some people have caused a lot of problems but not sharing what you learn and the accomplishments of nasty girl is punishing everyone else. I love reading about your truck and I think that you are a great asset to this site. Thank you for pushing the duramax to exciting new levels. :hug:

·
Registered
357 Posts
I will now be closing the book on Nasty Girl regarding technical information I gather from here on in. It is sad that a handfull of jelous people had to ruin it for others but I will NOT be publicly called a liar.
Thank you Bobo, thank you Diesel Tech. Super.... Wonderful....

Good luck Keith. Can't say I blame you actually.....

Will PM you later.

Well done guys....

·
Registered
845 Posts
fuel007one;1572287; said:
Thank you Bobo, thank you Diesel Tech. Super.... Wonderful....

Good luck Keith. Can't say I blame you actually.....

Will PM you later.

Well done guys....

Yeah alot of guys who names weren't tied to it are having the hissy fit. They have been known as the top tuner or producing the fastest, most powerful blah blah blah and they were not needed to make Nasty make history. It seems like sour grapes and pissing and moaning. I think alot of these glory hogs and winers are vendors. They have helped me in deciding who I will be buying from.

DMAXBOB

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So you call boreing the block a different block and oversize LBZ pistons new pistons and heads that have had the valves repaired new heads ( cuz the pistons hit the valves)................. give me a break! I guess you sending Bobo's ECM from the old motor to Tony for him to copy was cool with Bob too.

Nasty Girl;1490335; said:
Same block just bored out 20 thou over for oversized LBZ pistons.
dmaxalliTech;1488583; said:
I have .020" oversize LBZ pistons getting CNC machined for valve reliefs with contoured edges and they will be coated as well. That should alleviate any future problems I hope.
GMC-2002-Dmax;1571143; said:
Keith,
The camshaft is not that special either, .....
Nasty Girl;1571986; said:
You bet I am!
Sure sounds like the same camshaft is in the motor as you are planning to change it from yours and Tony's post above. I guess all this is in the 1% your not sharing with everyone!

Nasty Girl;1571986; said:
Steve,

Just wanted to say thanks again for the sweet cam and rods, looks like they are going to work well with our setup. And thank-you for helping troubleshoot with Nathan on the tranny issues, he mentioned he had spoken to you on the phone that day.

Would be intresting to see how TTS the Extreme would do on Nasty Girl!

Take care !

Keith

For all you who feel I'm picking on Keith that is not the case here. I like a few others have helped Keith and this is the thanks we get for helping him. Flame suit now on.

·
Registered
357 Posts
DMAXBOB;1572345; said:
They have helped me in deciding who I will be buying from. DMAXBOB
You are SPOT ON! If you go into the latest forum threads you will see a huge griping match about whether or not to have all-out section with no rules applied. I think that the original nastygirl or piston thread was literally truncated by the mods into the bench section to prove a point.

One of the points made in the "pro-fight-forum" argument is that it would ultimately HELP some members decide just which vendors they would work with based upon forum behavior alone.

I too have made some decisions based upon forum activity since Keith blistered a dyno so all this squabbling does have indirect benfits (although I feel horrible that the Dodge/TDE forum has but one thread called "dmax does 1000 hp," it has NOT be closed nor cut up, and seemingly 70% of the posts are all congratulatory to Keith on his accomplishment which is in stark contrast to this GM forum on this particular feat; both strange and sad).

·
Registered
357 Posts
Diesel Tech;1572384; said:
Flame suit now on.
No flame suit needed. No money coming to you from me either. Guess this is where "no rules" threads go to.....

I will not support you and I have one helluva lot of support to direct; soon.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I agree with steve.
Personally I think u guys should grow up!
I joined this forum in search of answers, not
a bunch of "touchy feely" BS!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.