Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading several threads regarding exhaust system upgrades. It seems that there can be some small reduction in egt's by removing the cat and leaving everything else stock. Has anybody noticed any gains in mpg witht his setup?

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
cowdoc,

You'll get more by getting a cat back system and leaving the cat alone, if you want max EGT drop then the cat gotta go too. For most folks the cat back gets them the EGT reduction they need. We always suggest going this way first and then if you need it get the front pipe for the max EGT drop. The MBRP system have the ability to set you up as a cat back and then add the front pipe with 4 bolts and one clamp at a later time, makes it easy. Call us if you have any questions we'll be glad to help.

Mark @ DPPI

·
Registered
46 Posts
I went with the MBRP cat delete. I did notice a significant (100-200) degree difference in EGTs under load. Mileage did not change as a result of the exhaust work. Subsequently I added a Predator, which I typically run on the 40HP setting - I did notice a (non-towing) mileage just of 1-1.5 MPG.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
The muffler is the biggest restriction in the system.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
i think i remember reading that the smallest the muffler restricts exhaust flow is 2.5".

buuut.... removing the cat alone is better than removing the muffler alone. i know that first hand.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.