Diesel Place banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there anything out there that will get me more hp with more mpg without going bankrupt. so far I am not completely convinced on getting a cold air intake, i was told that it will help breath and get more mpg, only thing i see that it will do is get me more turbo noise but may help in the running of hot temps. That is another question why do the LLY engines run hot and what is the best cheapest way to keep them cooler. I just bought the truck and am totally new to the diesel stuff. any help?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Being new can sure spark alot of questions.

·
Registered
269 Posts
lol

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
kramer56;1555212; said:
is there anything out there that will get me more hp with more mpg without going bankrupt. so far I am not completely convinced on getting a cold air intake, i was told that it will help breath and get more mpg, only thing i see that it will do is get me more turbo noise but may help in the running of hot temps. That is another question why do the LLY engines run hot and what is the best cheapest way to keep them cooler. I just bought the truck and am totally new to the diesel stuff. any help?
Kramer56 there is no such thing as a cheap mod that will boost HP and MPG. If you want to go cheap try:

. Driving slower (stay at 2000 RPM or less)
. Always drive with the wind and down hill
. Use drafting (18 wheelers work the best)

Seriously, increasing HP and/or MPG will cost you. That's the bottom line. Decide what your goals are, lay out a plan and implement it over time so it doesn't cost you all the money at once.

As for overheating information, discussion, various possible solutions, etc, use the search option at the top right. Type in overheating LLY and you will start reading for days. Just remember, this is a hot topic so be careful if you engage in discussions.

Finally your second post that said something about being a new guy, this is the slowest time on this forum. Be patient. There is a bunch of knowledge out here that can help you.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
kramer56;1555212; said:
That is another question why do the LLY engines run hot and what is the best cheapest way to keep them cooler. I just bought the truck and am totally new to the diesel stuff. any help?
As said, do a search.
Here's a start. I searched "overheat" in the Duramax Sec Gen LLY section.
Lot's of talk. Lot's of ideas. Lot's of testing to find out why. Some fixes.
http://dieselplace.com/forum/search.php?searchid=1695072

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok guys whayt should i do for mpg while towing or everyday driving. What is the best mod at a lower price but easy to install and will the mod improve cooling also, like I said its new to me but you guys are right the vast knowledge is amazing here but i do not have days to go thru it so is there any help? thanks

·
Registered
817 Posts
kramer56;1555212; said:
is there anything out there that will get me more hp with more mpg without going bankrupt.
There are tunes in the EFILive repository that will do exactly that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have been trying to research pretty much the same things, as have probably most in here. So far the advise is do the exhaust first (Magnaflow - $775 Cnd), Air (K&R - $250 Cnd) and THEN do a tuner. The advise was that you won't realize the tuner benifits too much until the other 2 are done. There is a nice tuner section here but looking around whats in my area.

Superchips - not enough features
Edge - No OBD scan code reader
Bullydog - maybe, but possible more features/cost than I need
Predator - Thinking this is what I want, cant find one!
Magnaflow - Apparently have a nice one, not on line that I can find so going to look in a catalogue shortly, same price as a Pred I think, about $550

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Shorthaul...Click on the Vendors section and you'll be able to get some options for programmers and exhaust...There's been alot of discussion regarding air intake kits, you decide on that...

Also, go to the top right of the page, click on "User CP" and fill out a signature...It helps us to help you...

·
Registered
338 Posts
I don't really know what you mean by cheap, but if you want better mpg and the ability for as much power as you tranny can handle (and more) i would get a Predator and a nice 4" exhaust. I picked up a used predator on here for $225 - that's cheap in my book. Lots of functions and power plus i saw an increase in hand calculated mpg. It's a good tool as well. You can do a tuner by itself, but if you are towing and adding power, you better be careful regarding your EGTs - which i would also recommend a boost guage and EGT guage cause if you are really cheap, then you want to know what's going on with your engine before you spend big money on turbos, trannies, etc. Don't step over $20s to pickup quarters.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have the predator and saw almost a 2 mpg increase. I paid about 330 from Merchant Automotive ( can't remember exact amount). I would recommend gauges first. When I installed the programmer my egt's increased alot...before I got my 4" exhaust. As far as cooling goes I haven't had an issue, but I don't tow all that heavy. (haven't towed more than 10000 lbs) Good luck with whatever you choose!

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
good luck with the truck!!, second i have the edge and exhaust the most power i saw for little money, under 200, was turbo down pipe. really woke the truck up. but the edge was great also, to much for the trans to handle. but that is coming soon. predator is cheaper, but you need gauges and can't change the power level quickly, but it also reads codes and eliminates some also. it's really a toss up. but gauges are a must if you add power. cooling i would not woory about if you not towing. if you are there is fixes for it around $1000. search the overheat threads and you'll see what i'm talking about. cold air intakes are also your choice. i noticed no power but cooler egt, by about 200 degrees. search that also good thread with good research on it.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah but these are built for towing damnit. Why should i have to spend $1000 or more when the truck supposedly made for towing, makes no sense to me. i understand the power thing with the chips and stuff but why do we have spend more cash for the proper cooling system.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Don't sweat the OH issues until you know you have a problem. Some will say they all have the potintial for it. I've towed to the trucks limits mid summer with no issues, but I live in the SE so maybe thats why. I'll worry about it when...if it becomes an issue. If you pick the right threads they'll make you wish you hadn't bought the truck. Thing is you're hearing all the bad and a very small percetage of the good, keep that in mind when reading about your new truck. The Dmax is a solid well built engine regardless of the generation.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
kramer56;1641966; said:
yeah but these are built for towing damnit. Why should i have to spend $1000 or more when the truck supposedly made for towing, makes no sense to me. i understand the power thing with the chips and stuff but why do we have spend more cash for the proper cooling system.
Because GM screwed it up.. plain and simple... They aint going to fix it unless you start a lawsuit or go for a buyback so you are just going to have to live with it..

IF you have a problem get the fix...

IF you want better MPG and MUCH more power get rid of the stock engine fan and go electric...

·
Registered
150 Posts
i'd pick up a used EDGE or predator, keep it on the mileage tune, keep it under the 2000rpm while cruising( thats the breaking point when mileage just starts taking a S***) next get the exhaust to reduce backpressure. staight pipe it if you want to go super cheap and don't care so much about the noise. then i'd say get an intake if you haven't seen enough improvement ( this will help a little bit more)
in the end its all going to be on your driving style and terrain. i've found 55-60mph to be the best MPG speed for my dually.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Get a full 4inch from T&J in our vender's section, AFE or Pinical Power. Open the stock intake with the Kennedy web site upgrade. Then worry about the chips.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
kramer56;1641966; said:
Sounds like the start of another overheating thread to me...:).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.