Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i know its not an HD but i have a trailblazer 5.3 and was wondering if anyone knows are there any programmers for it out there. pop has one in his yukon xl and wants a little more snap out of it too.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I thought the Trailblazer had the new inline 6 cyl.?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the short version does and the long version it is standard, but if your nuts and have to have the most power you can get, you can get teh optional 5.3l V8. mine has everythign but the sunroof and the Northface package. got the DVD for the kids instead.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Any programmer, air intake, exhaust and headers will make nice gains.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Who makes a good programmer for the 5.3, exhaust is coming as soon as my father in law gets to it. my wife can kill me for messing with her truck, but would she kill her own father??? As far as intake and headers im starting the search now and looking for good advice.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What you want my wife to kill me?? she already told me distinctly if i supercharge it she will have me castrated.
Edited by: chevmeister

·
Registered
7,190 Posts
All righty,

I need some help, I am picking up my 2003 Tahoe-5.3 V8 this Friday.

I need to break her in and then boost up the HP.

Help out a novice here
. Plug and Play is my first option. no Supercharger yet --- 295 HP seems pretty good to start with.

T
NY

·
Registered
84 Posts
For both of you guys a Westers ECM, Predator Programmer or a Superchips will help a lot. Next, you need a good cold air intake. Like a Volant or a UPD. Then you can always do a set of headers and a good cat back exhaust.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I had a 2000 silverado 1500 4x4 xcab sb with the 5.3 in it and I had a hypertech programmer, cat back exhaust, k&n fipk and a throtlebody spacer and it ran 15.800 @88mph in the 1/4 with 265's and 3.73 gears......... Stock it ran 16.7. Pretty good improvement I think.

·
Registered
285 Posts
hey, My expertise here. The 5.3 is a great motor, LS1 based which means many many mods out there. check out www.ls1tech.com. www.tbyrnemotorsports.com has a great deal of stuff too. Heads and cams will net well over 450 hp with tuning. www.ls1truck.com is a great place also. Diablo is pretty good also for programing on the fly but ls1 edit is the way to go. If it were my truck, i'd do, volant cold air intake, cat back, headers if they have em for your ride and a custom tune. you'll be a lost faster.

Lenny

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Unburying this old topic, got me a 2004 5.3 Suburban.

So far I have seen the Hypertech offer about 30HP and Banks exhaust (headers back to tailpipe tip, air filet, uses factory Cat) offers another 30HP.

Im sure the Banks will run some serious cash, but the programmer looks to be around $300ish.

To me that 30HP(programmer) + 30HP(exhaust) should give you a net gain of at least 30HP.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
DmaxDaddy,

Looks like I'll be following you around on these threads, I just posted one in the power/performance section.

Everyone,

How about best mileage and power w/out exhaust mods and severe intake mods. How about just a K&N and a box or programmer?

Thanks,

Pepperidge

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I'm not fond of headers but I know straight piping mine gave it more low end snap and abit more top end rev. It had to relearn to not drop the idle too low with the increased flow though.. If you don't like straight pipe or need to get emissions tested, I put a glasspack on dad's and it is nearly as loud as mine and just as snappy.

You are right about net gain too, I am sure from the k&n (15) the straight pipe (10?) I figure I got at least 10? I know it beats a stock truck with just that much difference. My mileage went up from 11 to 12.9 with these mods as well.

12.9 (less in the winter) really sucks bad though I think... Not sure why it is so bad when the truck runs so good.. Even having the right pedal stuck to the floor all the time it ought to be better than that? Truck is a fuel
Been that way since it was new...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts