Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres a link to GMs site where they give some extra info about the Duramax LMM motor and the gasser as well avaiable in the new 2500 and 3500 HD trucks...

http://media.gm.com/us/gm/en/news/press_kits/07 fs pickups/hd/07_HD Trucks Powertrain.html

Here are a few of the highlights:

Enhanced 6.6L Duramax diesel
GM Powertrain’s powerful Duramax 6.6L V-8 turbo-diesel engine is revised to meet new, stringent 2007 federal emissions regulations, while delivering increased horsepower and torque. It is rated at a segment-leading 365 horsepower (272 kW) and 660 lb.-ft. of torque (895 Nm).
Upgrades to the engine and a new diesel particulate filter system, along with the use of new, ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel, help the Duramax achieve a 90-percent reduction in particulate matter and 50-percent reduction in NO x, as required by the new emissions standard. All diesel engines manufactured beginning in January 2007 are required to meet the new emissions standard.
“Maintaining power and torque leadership with the Duramax is important because it’s the benchmark that built its class-leading reputation with our customers,” said Charlie Freese, executive director, GM Powertrain Diesel Engineering.
Revised for 2007, the Duramax diesel uses a variable-geometry turbocharger to optimize boost performance over a wide range of operating conditions. This provides the customer with seamless and immediate response, while simultaneously helping to reduce emissions. The turbo, which spins up to 120,000 rpm, is high-speed-balanced for minimal noise and vibration, while contributing to the engine’s overall smoothness and refinement. Maximum boost is 20 psi. Additional details of the Duramax 6.6L V-8 engine’s ’07 enhancements include:
  • Cylinder block material strength enhancement provides increased reliability and durability
  • Revised piston design with low 16.4:1 compression ratio
  • Cylinder heads revised to accommodate higher peak cylinder firing pressure
  • Fuel delivered via larger fuel lines and a new, six-hole injector nozzle
  • Improved glow plugs heat up faster through an independent controller
  • Revised variable-geometry turbocharger is aerodynamically more efficient to help deliver smooth and immediate response and lower emissions
  • Intake throttle control is added to enhance combustion and DPF control, as well as provide improved engine smoothness
  • EGR has larger and more efficient cooler to provide for cooler exhaust gases going into the system
  • 32-bit E35 controller, which adjusts and compensates all engine control parameters to bolster efficiency and reduce emissions
The engine also features a rigid cast iron cylinder block with induction-hardened cylinder bores; four-bolt, cross-drilled main bearing caps; forged steel, nitride-hardened crankshaft; aluminum pistons with jet-spray oil cooling; aluminum cylinder heads with four valves per cylinder; water-cooled turbocharger; integrated oil cooler and a charge-cooled turbocharging system.

Man, I cant wait to get my new Awesome lookin Body 07 Sierra Duramax with that 356 HP and 660 Torque Duramax!!!:rockit:

[URL="http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/8548/0720gmt2090020008yw3.jpg"]
[URL="http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/8548/0720gmt2090020008yw3.jpg"]

(Image has been resized. Click it for full size.)
[/URL]

[/URL]

[URL="http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/707/02010718111jz8.jpg"]

[/URL]

·
Registered
156 Posts
The article says the transmision "loads the engine" during cold start high idle operation?? My 06's tranny temp is about 160 after i let it warm upfor 5 min or so, is this why?

·
Registered
172 Posts
We really got a lot of this with the LBZ. Shows GM was thinking well ahead.

·
Premium Member
4,640 Posts
Anybody really know what is truely extra on the LMM?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Yeah, the extra emission [email protected]! Larger EGR, DPF, and an exhaust tip that could reach very hot temps that you can drive around your farm and burn land that you don't want to cut. Also, an integrated brake controller. I really think I'm going to get an LBZ and wait until after the 2010 changes before I look into getting a new designed truck. I can't bring myself to buy a GMC 900HD at $53K when I can get a very similar 800HD GMC without emission stuff for around $40K. Chris

·
Premium Member
4,640 Posts
The integrated brake controller would be nice, but that is it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts