Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody running the Monroe Reflexs??? I'd like to have Bilsteins, but I sure like the price better on the Monroes (especially with their buy3 get one free offer) and I've always had good luck with Monroe. Don't want to waste my money if they don't do the job, though. Don't race or off road, but I do tow a 14K 5th wheel that gives me a loaded weight of a little over 11K.

Thanks, JimEdited by: jbh2000

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Funny you asked, I just was looking at a set today for a customer since we cant get bilstiens right now.. he decided to wait. I hear that they are very similer to the Edelbrock shocks

Eric

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Eric...next question: How are the Edelbrocks?

·
Registered
812 Posts
Go for the Monroes, I had a set of Gas Magnums on my last truck that I bought in 1991. They lasted 162k and were still good, but rusty, when I sold the truck.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I put a set of Reflex shocks on my 4Runner in the last 8 months before I sold it. They were ok. They had a comfortable highway ride, but fairly poor ultimate control. They were not as good as the Rancho RS 5000 shocks they replaced. They were cheaper, though. Whether the same relative performance would hold true with our trucks I don't know, but if so the Bilsteins are light-years better.

TC

·
Registered
211 Posts
The Rancho, Edlebrock and <st1:City><st1:place>Monroe</st1:place></st1:City> are all Tenneco Products.
I have a set of Reflexes on my truck(2500LD). I was working PT at a parts store so I got a decent deal on the Reflexes. The reflex promotes identical features as the Edelbrock IAS with an attempt to prevent showing duplication. I feel the technology of the control valves is very close if not identical.
I am not happy with my Reflexes. The expansion joints in the concrete are a bit harsh. The control is decent but not what I expected from a shock in this price range. It is <st1:City><st1:place>Monroe</st1:place></st1:City>’s BestTruck shock.
I had the Edlebrock IAS on my Suburban (lowered 2wd 1500). They were great when new, but lasted 10k or less. I also ran Belltech, KYB, Koni and Bilstein even in various combinations. The Bilsteins were the best by far.

Bilstein does not make a front shock to fit my truck. That was a big factor when I decided to put the Reflexes on. In the very near future it is getting a set of steins on the Rear. I think I have found a solution to put steins on the front as well.

“Readers Digest Version”: You can buy the Reflexes for about ½ the price of the Bilsteins. I don’t think you are getting ½ the shock.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The control is much better than my stock ones. I changed at 40-42K but the stock one were junk when I bought the truck @ 36k. The Reflexes now have about 20k on them. I did sell a few sets of Reflexes for HDs. The feedback was good. One set was a referal. You also have to consider they had never felt Bilsteins and for me to sell them a set it was $100 each and a 7-30(or more) day wait. The Reflexes go out the door for $40 each. Most of our customer base was looking to spend 15-20 for a shock no matter what it was on.

I think the only other Monroe makes for your truck is the monro-matic plus. I wouldn't even consider it above a 1/2 ton.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Buy the Bilsteins, HUGE improvement over stock. My OEM shocks were shot after 15K mi (5K mi towing 7K fifth wheel on Mexican roads). Much less axel hop on washboard dirt roads and on road handling made my 2500HD seem like a sports car compared to the stock shocks.

Steve

·
Registered
211 Posts
Update!

I finally have had enough of the Monroe Reflex Shocks on my truck. They seem to react too quickly and harshly in the initial travel on small changes in the pavement like concrete expansion joints. The stock shocks were junk and lacked control over almost every situation. They did however absorb the small bumps smoothly.
Had I never experienced two roads in particular that I travel on the daily commute with both the original and the Reflexes, I would not have paid much attention. I would have written it off as it being “a ¾ ton truck it is supposed to ride rough”. I had very good results with Bilsteins on a previous vehicle.
As I stated above, my truck is a 2500 LD 2WD. It has a coil spring front end which makes pretty much the “odd man out” when it comes to front shocks. This started my research on looking through catalogs. After many calls to Bilstein and comparing shock specs, I’m pretty sure I found one that will fit the front. I ordered a set of four. The rear shocks are the same shock you guys have on your 2500HDs.
The rears came in yesterday, and I couldn’t stand it. About 9:00 last night I slid under the back and swapped them out. Test drove it a bit and there was a difference, but the real test would have to wait. This morning I hit the 5 mile stretch of road I have grown to hate. No doubt, the Bilsteins are an improvement just on the rear. I wish I would have made this swap 6 months ago!
The fronts will be here in a couple of days. Hopefully (if they actually fit) they will make as much difference as the fronts. The dust cover was broken loose on one of the rear Reflexes causing it to rub slightly against the shock body. I had thought I had heard metallic ringing noise from the rear a couple of times. I thought it was a muffler hanger and could not find the source. I believe this was it.
I’m not saying the Reflex is not a good shock. The stock ones were junk @ 36K. I drove them that way about 5-6 K. The Reflexes made a huge difference at half the cost of the Bilstein. With ~37k on them, they still have the control they had when new. I was hoping they would soften slightly. They didn’t. If the Bilstein is a “10”, the Reflex is a “8”, and the stock ones a “2”. It is your money. In my case, I think it was worth the extra $$ for the Bilstein. I wish I would have started with them.
We’ll see what the fronts do in a few days…….

·
Registered
129 Posts
Professor said:
The Rancho, Edlebrock and <st1:City><st1:place>Monroe</st1:place></st1:City> are all Tenneco Products.
I have a set of Reflexes on my truck(2500LD). I was working PT at a parts store so I got a decent deal on the Reflexes. The reflex promotes identical features as the Edelbrock IAS with an attempt to prevent showing duplication. I feel the technology of the control valves is very close if not identical.
I am not happy with my Reflexes. The expansion joints in the concrete are a bit harsh. The control is decent but not what I expected from a shock in this price range. It is <st1:City><st1:place>Monroe</st1:place></st1:City>’s BestTruck shock.
I had the Edlebrock IAS on my Suburban (lowered 2wd 1500). They were great when new, but lasted 10k or less. I also ran Belltech, KYB, Koni and Bilstein even in various combinations. The Bilsteins were the best by far.

Bilstein does not make a front shock to fit my truck. That was a big factor when I decided to put the Reflexes on. In the very near future it is getting a set of steins on the Rear. I think I have found a solution to put steins on the front as well.

“Readers Digest Version”: You can buy the Reflexes for about ½ the price of the Bilsteins. I don’t think you are getting ½ the shock.

The stock shocks are also made by Tenneco. I saw this when I replaced my stockers with the Monroe Reflex shocks. So far I'm not impressed with the rears.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I have about 2k on my monroes reflexes. Definitly better than stock! I have never had bilsteins, the only aftermarket shock I have ever bought before were Gabriels. So far I like the reflexes. Rides firm, but not rough (custom front bumper + roll bar + 5th wheel + loaded tool box = heavy, pushing 8k). Corners better than our pontiac. Very little nose dive on hard breaking. I like them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts